Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Are band falls considered more OK than 20 years ago?
Previous  1  2

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:26 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
So what is it?

There is halacha in there but also a LOT of things that are sensitivities. For example the topic of this thread.

holylandgirl

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:28 pm
One of the reasons he gave was because it's tempting to put it back a bit and show hair at the front, (which he holds is assur). And in the days when he taught this it was definitely true that a normal sheitel always covered all the hair and many falls didn't.

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:29 pm
FTR, My band fall when I used to wear it NEVER slipped back. Not the fall and not the band. It was on tight and stayed. And I never tried to push it back either.
And if that's the reason, how is a tichel or snood different in that regard? They can slide (I've seen that) and people push them back (seen that too)
Actually, isn't that the reason the Lubavitche Rebbe didn't allow snoods/tichels outside? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:18 pm
I remember learning that band falls weren't OK because it is harder to see if it is a shaitel. Looks girlish. The same reason as lace and pony shaitels.

amother
Heather

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:35 pm
Think they're ok but not particularly in style ATM!
Can anyone post links to wide bands from Ali? I can do with some more

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:36 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:
I remember learning that band falls weren't OK because it is harder to see if it is a shaitel. Looks girlish. The same reason as lace and pony shaitels.

That isn't halacha. That's a personal opinion or sensitivty

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:42 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
That isn't halacha. That's a personal opinion or sensitivty

But the people who are teaching those things are teaching them as Halacha.

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 9:59 pm
holylandgirl wrote:
One of the reasons he gave was because it's tempting to put it back a bit and show hair at the front, (which he holds is assur). And in the days when he taught this it was definitely true that a normal sheitel always covered all the hair and many falls didn't.

And if I’m tempted?
I’m a grown woman and I have my values. I may be tempted to eat the dairy chocolate in the fridge after my meat supper- do I need to throw out the chocolate now?

camp123

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 10:11 am
In the charadi community in Israel band falls are still not accepted, long sheitels are also not. The reason is that they look too nice and natural.

coloredleaves

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 10:52 pm
I have many chareidi relatives in israel who wear band falls. Mainstream chareidi husbands in kollel for years. Israeli. Just not very long ones. Just slightly below shoulders. In America many yeshivish wear too. Just covering all hair. Maybe not very very yehsivish. But many lakewood kollel wives do. I think since it's been a round so long now everyone knows Ita a Sheitel and it isn't the new "doesn't look like a Sheitel" thing anymore.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:01 pm
It’s definitely considered more modern and up to date. The very frum and very chasidush mostly don’t wear falls. Similar to the fact that they won’t wear anything red or denim. Its according to what’s considered acceptable in your community

coloredleaves

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:14 pm
I hear you and certainly very very yeshivish do not wear band falls but many middle yeshivish do. Definitely out of town and in town too.
I know tons of people who wear band falls and don't show hair and don't wear red or denim. Tons

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 12:05 am
I’m bais yakov middle of the road yeshivish I got married 18 yrs ago didnt get and still wudnt wear

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 12:28 am
I live in Lakewood and almost all the young kollel wives wear. In my opinion only, it doesn’t look natural or not like a sheitel now because no one wears headbands like that now. In fact, DH didn’t want me to get one because in his opinion it doesn’t look normal. It’s very obvious that the only reason you would is if you’re wearing a fall.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 6:59 pm
with covid, I wore falls for 3 years straight. I sort of didn't care anymore. 20 years takes its toll.

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 3:17 pm
I taught in a Lkwd HS about 15-20 yrs ago. I remember at beg of yr trachers' mtg the menaheles said "and of course no teacher is going to wear a band fall".

Unfortunately she undoubtedly hadn't noticed one woman (a sub) sitting in the room & wearing one...

I don't really have any opinion about falls. But it's undoubtedly less of a problem than a lot of what people wear these days, whether unrefined, overly natural looking, overly attractive etc.

amother
Seablue

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 3:52 pm
amother Teal wrote:
I live in Lakewood and almost all the young kollel wives wear. In my opinion only, it doesn’t look natural or not like a sheitel now because no one wears headbands like that now. In fact, DH didn’t want me to get one because in his opinion it doesn’t look normal. It’s very obvious that the only reason you would is if you’re wearing a fall.

Actually its very trendy now. I don't know about in the Jewish circles but definitely alot of non Jewish influencers worldwide are wearing thick bands covering their hairline exactly like a bandfall.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels