Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Constipated baby, what am I doing wrong?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:29 am
amother OP wrote:
Ok still a bit confused but it seems like decreasing grains is a strong recommendation.

Problem is they're so easy 😩 right now he's feeding himself Cheerios while I have some breakfast myself. Everything that's not grain takes longer to make and is also more hands on and messy to feed. I know that's life and you do what you need to, but to cut down on grains dramatically is going to be really hard Sad I'm kind of drowning in life already and not sure how to make this happen.

I’m sure it’s the cheerios that are making him constipated. Cereal is highly processed and does not belong in a babies body or adults for that matter. How about finger foods like sweet potato cubes or something like that. His body cannot digest the cereal.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:31 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
I’m sure it’s the cheerios that are making him constipated. Cereal is highly processed and does not belong in a babies body or adults for that matter. How about finger foods like sweet potato cubes or something like that. His body cannot digest the cereal.

Yeah he loves sweet potato cubes but I got a little worried he was eating too much of those... There's not a big variety of things he likes and I don't know what's normal. He would gobble as many sweet potatoes and as often as I would give him. Is that ok or is he going to turn into a yam?!

aria3578

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:31 am
amother OP wrote:
8 month old has been straining a lot to poop and sometimes even crying since increasing real food. I'm trying to give him lots of vegetables (real ones in addition to purees), not too much dairy (a little yogurt not every day), plenty of nursing. I'm not noticing any correlation yet, there was one day he pooped well but I couldn't remember if he ate anything different when every other day he's having a hard time even with trying to change things.

Any experienced advice please?

You can try prune juice or pear juice

My baby was constipated from the start
Poor girl used to rip her hole from pushing rock hard pieces out 😥😥

I tried everything
Even suppositories
Only thing that helped was adding miralax once a day to her bottle

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:34 am
My son was so constipated when I started him on solids. I gave him prune puree and juice for months until he grew out of it.

kiwi strawberry

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:34 am
Water water water. I cannot stress this enough. Whenever you start a baby on solids you must introduce water with it. Nursing is amazing and you should continue that but it's not a replacement for water once he's eating solids. It's not just that they need liquid. They need WATER. And WITH the food. Give him a sippy cup or bottle whatever he will drink from with water inside and give it to him together with his food. Once he starts really drinking water you will see a big improvement iyh.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:35 am
amother OP wrote:
Where are you all finding avocados, every time I buy them - and they are not cheap! - 3/4 of them are bad!

He doesn't like eggs. I tried.

So we're basically looking at chicken. How do you make meat soft enough for a baby? He didn't seem so successful at eating chicken last time but he liked it better than eggs.

He loved pieces of sweet potato and broccoli but now you're saying vegetable fiber isn't necessarily age appropriate so now I don't know...

He loves Cheerios and crackers, I've been trying to limit them because I don't want him to get too hooked on carbs so young but he loves them and they're soooo easy.

At this age he should not be given things he “loves”. Crackers and cheerios are terrible for him. A baby that age does not need solids if he is nursing full time. If you feel he is hungry put healthy foods in front of him and if he’s hungry he will eat it. I’m sure you are a great mom. It’s hard because drs don’t even tell parents these things. It’s sad.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:38 am
amother OP wrote:
Yeah he loves sweet potato cubes but I got a little worried he was eating too much of those... There's not a big variety of things he likes and I don't know what's normal. He would gobble as many sweet potatoes and as often as I would give him. Is that ok or is he going to turn into a yam?!

Look up weston a price foundation for ideas on what a baby should be eating+recipes. I would let him eat as many sweet potatoes as he wants. I would take out all grains and processed foods. Steamed veggies are great because they are soft like steamed carrots, broccoli and different vegetables even beets. You can make a lot and store it in the refrigerator. I’m sure the issue will resolve iyH.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:38 am
Nursing is not enough, he BEGS to eat, cries when he sees other people eating and not sharing... He does eat healthy foods when I offer, I just can't keep up! But now that I'm learning the grains could be causing his constipation I'll try harder to get with the program. I thought I was just making unideal nutrition choices.

Is prune puree something you can buy or you make it yourself? If buy, where? If make, how?

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:40 am
amother OP wrote:
Nursing is not enough, he BEGS to eat, cries when he sees other people eating and not sharing... He does eat healthy foods when I offer, I just can't keep up! But now that I'm learning the grains could be causing his constipation I'll try harder to get with the program. I thought I was just making unideal nutrition choices.

Is prune puree something you can buy or you make it yourself? If buy, where? If make, how?

You can buy although I would just take prunes and let them soak in hot water for a day or overnight. Then blend or just give him the juice in a bottle

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:43 am
amother OP wrote:
Where are you all finding avocados, every time I buy them - and they are not cheap! - 3/4 of them are bad!

He doesn't like eggs. I tried.

So we're basically looking at chicken. How do you make meat soft enough for a baby? He didn't seem so successful at eating chicken last time but he liked it better than eggs.

He loved pieces of sweet potato and broccoli but now you're saying vegetable fiber isn't necessarily age appropriate so now I don't know...

He loves Cheerios and crackers, I've been trying to limit them because I don't want him to get too hooked on carbs so young but he loves them and they're soooo easy.

My baby loves the sabra guacamole cups. I get them at target or the grocery store, makes sure not to get spicy though lol. Made that mistake once!

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:47 am
btw sweet potato is a food that constipates. so does banana and dairy like yogurt.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:49 am
amother OP wrote:
Ok still a bit confused but it seems like decreasing grains is a strong recommendation.

Problem is they're so easy 😩 right now he's feeding himself Cheerios while I have some breakfast myself. Everything that's not grain takes longer to make and is also more hands on and messy to feed. I know that's life and you do what you need to, but to cut down on grains dramatically is going to be really hard Sad I'm kind of drowning in life already and not sure how to make this happen.

Cheerios are loaded with sugar. It's the worst of garbage money can buy.

imaima

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:53 am
amother OP wrote:

Yes
Cut down on grains

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:55 am
Honestly the easiest way to have foods prepared is to save him extra Shabbos food. Chicken soup, give him the vegetables and chicken, potato kugel, squash kugel, compote, cholent, baked apple etc. freeze as needed. And save leftover supper chicken and cooked vegetables for the next days lunch.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:57 am
amother Stonewash wrote:
btw sweet potato is a food that constipates. so does banana and dairy like yogurt.

Great so basically everything. Wasn't sweet potato the one good idea according to others?!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:58 am
amother Snowdrop wrote:
Honestly the easiest way to have foods prepared is to save him extra Shabbos food. Chicken soup, give him the vegetables and chicken, potato kugel, squash kugel, compote, cholent, baked apple etc. freeze as needed. And save leftover supper chicken and cooked vegetables for the next days lunch.

I do chicken soup but I find the chicken and veggies don't freeze well so that's a 2 day solution. And I don't make soup every week, to do it just for the baby is quite a job. We don't do compote or cholent either. Sometimes kugel.

lotta

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 11:03 am
amother OP wrote:
I do chicken soup but I find the chicken and veggies don't freeze well so that's a 2 day solution. And I don't make soup every week, to do it just for the baby is quite a job. We don't do compote or cholent either. Sometimes kugel.

Babies are okay with the texture of squash and carrots with chicken soup after it's frozen, even the chicken. That's a great start.

diced Veg. soups...

Soups help him also get more liquids.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 11:08 am
Also some kids have a tendency to get constipated. I had one with major constipation issues as a baby. We tried so many things but the only one that helped was giving him miralax every day till he grew out of it. Now he’s in elementary school and is usually fine but he still gets constipated more often than my other kids.

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 11:26 am
I put Vaseline on a qtip and gently and soflty pushed it in his behind back
And forth and that helped my baby
Poop, not sure if this helps but u can try…

mom923

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 11:26 am
amother Snowdrop wrote:

This ^^
My 7 month old loves potato kugel, matza balls, carrots and zucchini from the soup. Makes it so easy to feed her real food instead of buying garbage.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics