Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I want my $40,000 a month paycheck back…
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 7:58 pm
amother Navy wrote:
You are a lawyer. Enough said. Nothing wrong with asking which fields have these numbers. Yes lawyers make this plus much more. No teachers, Ot, secretary, office worker etc.. is able to ever make that amount. Why are you pretending field doesn’t matter? It absolutely does.

Yes that’s the point, very few “jobs” pay $400k+ a year. The people who take the risks make the money. Not the ones who are ok working for a boss 9-5 or even 9-7. Majority of people in that income bracket are business owners. The secretary asking how she can make $400k a year…. Maybe she doesn’t have the ability to, if she chose to become a secretary.

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:04 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
It’s like in the designer clothing stores… if you have to ask the price you can’t afford it.

What I mean is, I think when most people go into a field they’re generally aware of what the cap is. And most people know that the vast majority of people earning $400k+ are business owners, in virtually any/every field. The rest are mostly lawyers and doctors. But everyone asking “what do you do to earn so much??” Already knows everything I just typed. Being a business owner involves a lot of risk, brains, and effort. They know this too. So why are they asking? It’s not going to help them. Either they already know they have what it takes, or they don’t. It’s not like till now they’ve been a speech therapist earning $70k and suddenly someone replies to their comment saying “I earn $400k importing wholesale cabinetry from china” and they will have a revelation “oh wow this is what I need to do to earn more money!”

Well said.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:29 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
Yes that’s the point, very few “jobs” pay $400k+ a year. The people who take the risks make the money. Not the ones who are ok working for a boss 9-5 or even 9-7. Majority of people in that income bracket are business owners. The secretary asking how she can make $400k a year…. Maybe she doesn’t have the ability to, if she chose to become a secretary.

Or maybe she chose a job that she could keep easily while having kids, building her family.

Or maybe she needed a quick job while her husband went back to school.

Or maybe she was also taking care of her elderly parents and had limited time but now has more hours free.

So many more possible scenarios, why denigrate someone who "chose" to be a secretary.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:29 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
It’s like in the designer clothing stores… if you have to ask the price you can’t afford it.

What I mean is, I think when most people go into a field they’re generally aware of what the cap is. And most people know that the vast majority of people earning $400k+ are business owners, in virtually any/every field. The rest are mostly lawyers and doctors. But everyone asking “what do you do to earn so much??” Already knows everything I just typed. Being a business owner involves a lot of risk, brains, and effort. They know this too. So why are they asking? It’s not going to help them. Either they already know they have what it takes, or they don’t. It’s not like till now they’ve been a speech therapist earning $70k and suddenly someone replies to their comment saying “I earn $400k importing wholesale cabinetry from china” and they will have a revelation “oh wow this is what I need to do to earn more money!”

I agree with everything you said except this- as someone who shops high end designer, it’s usually the people who don’t ask prices who are the ones that can’t actually afford it (but try to look like they can)

But yes, earning a large salary like that doesn’t just happen by sheer luck. Most people earning that much work for themselves. My parent earns over 10x what OP makes, they started in sales and hustled. Most people I know who earn similar also do sales. It takes some luck and timing, but mostly it takes just extreme hard work and motivation. I wish I could do it even though I’m just not good at sales no matter the product I’m selling isn’t even the issue, it’s because while I have the drive to earn in that bracket, I don’t have the hustle unfortunately.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:31 pm
amother Crimson wrote:

Has no one ever started a business after years of being an employee?
Not only do you not make sense but you're being snobby about it.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:31 pm
amother Crimson wrote:

That’s a really elitist attitude. Maybe they really don’t know which fields are better? Maybe they do want to learn? Why can’t anyone answer and share the information? People are so full of themselves on here.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:34 pm
amother Navy wrote:
That’s a really elitist attitude. Maybe they really don’t know which fields are better? Maybe they do want to learn? Why can’t anyone answer and share the information? People are so full of themselves on here.

Ok. Doctor, lawyer, business owner. That's your answer. And inherited wealth.

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:47 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
I agree with everything you said except this- as someone who shops high end designer, it’s usually the people who don’t ask prices who are the ones that can’t actually afford it (but try to look like they can)

But yes, earning a large salary like that doesn’t just happen by sheer luck. Most people earning that much work for themselves. My parent earns over 10x what OP makes, they started in sales and hustled. Most people I know who earn similar also do sales. It takes some luck and timing, but mostly it takes just extreme hard work and motivation. I wish I could do it even though I’m just not good at sales no matter the product I’m selling isn’t even the issue, it’s because while I have the drive to earn in that bracket, I don’t have the hustle unfortunately.

What’s the diff between drive and hustle?

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 9:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
Huh?!
Not sure what you’re pointing out, I just showed how $40k which is comfortable did not make me fancy or extravagant….
Gym, bungalow, and cleaning help are not what makes someone’s lifestyle extravagant.

I obviously live very different now.

But while making $40k
Why would I eat rice and beans only? (which to me is never an option actually)
Why would I shop only at target and Walmart for clothing? I did shop from them as well as other cheaper local stores…
I never bought anything name brand and did great with hand me downs!

This just shows how out of touch you are. The fact that you don't think a vacation home is a luxury when it is something beyond many people's dreams is just ridiculous.

I am not saying you must eat rice and beans. But many things you mention are extras.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 9:11 pm
Strange thread all around.

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 9:30 pm
People! It's from Hashem! All of it! Please don't forget that!

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 9:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can I get your budget in numbers?
I want to understand….

We own cars - upkeep varies, but figure around $200/ month
Gas - $300?
Our mortgage is about $2400/ month
Brooklyn, 3 bedroom house with basement - $500 utilities
Tuition - $2500 - 5 kids
Food - $1200 - kids get breakfast/ lunch and some supper in school.
Insurance - have free from state but with copays/ deductable ( I realize you pay lots of $) about $60/month
Clothes+ shoes - from Amazon. If my kids want fancier they add their own money. I pay around $30 for shoes and up to $50 for a dress. My boys clothes is expensive ( chasidish) by they get only 2x a year. I figure 4k a year total/ about $350 months.
Miscellaneous - $150/ month

Totals to 7,660 per month. Make it $7.7k
One of my kids is working and pays for some stuff by herself ( waxing, tights, makeup) so that helps.

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 9:40 pm
amother Peru wrote:
Gas - $300?
Tuition - $2500 - 5 kids
Insurance - have free from state but with copays/ deductable ( I realize you pay lots of $) about $60/month
Clothes+ shoes - from Amazon. If my kids want fancier they add their own money. I pay around $30 for shoes and up to $50 for a dress. My boys clothes is expensive ( chasidish) by they get only 2x a year. I figure 4k a year total/ about $350 months.

One of my kids is working and pays for some stuff by herself ( waxing, tights, makeup) so that helps.

How do you only pay $2500 for 5 tuitions?

safetynet1

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 9:43 pm
amother Peru wrote:
Gas - $300?
Tuition - $2500 - 5 kids

You dont pay car insurance? 2500 is very little for tuition and so is the food for family of 7.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 9:50 pm
It's very difficult when your income drops. My side hustle just took a dip. Although I'm still earning more than I was earning 3 years ago (and I was happy then), it's less than a few months ago and it's hard for me now. BH we're managing ok and I try to remember that parnassa is min hashamaim. Sometimes we can be earning much more, and then we have big unexpected expenses- medical, emergencies, etc chv. Other times, income can be lower, but we manage to find good deals and save money... Hashem has different ways of sending $ and it's all been determined already on Rosh hashana.

As a side note, some people might not understand why op wants 40k a month, but there's a reason why you're supposed to give people tzedaka based on what their standards were.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 9:52 pm
amother Chicory wrote:

And I'm trying to figure out how a Brooklyn house has such a low mortgage! That's just the property tax....

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 9:53 pm
amother Chicory wrote:

She said they are chassidish so the Mosad subsidizes

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 10:00 pm
amother Chicory wrote:

send to our own chasidus's schools. One bachur is in Bais medrash in a different place, but bh they told us to pay as much as we can. I'm not complaining Hiding

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 10:01 pm
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
And I'm trying to figure out how a Brooklyn house has such a low mortgage! That's just the property tax....

We bought 20 years ago, out of boropark, but within walking distance

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 10:05 pm
amother Peru wrote:
We bought 20 years ago, out of boropark, but within walking distance

Even 20 years ago that was very low. Very.
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics