Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Lab diamonds, does it really matter?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:23 pm
When my last child got married a few months ago I had a $10000 budget to buy a special empty nest piece of jewelry to commemorate the occasion. I went to many jewelry stores in Bklyn, Monsey and Lakewood searching for this once in my lifetime gift. I ended up commissioning a lab grown copy of a costume jewelry pair of earrings that I loved. I spent $11000. It would have cost close to $50000 had it been earth diamonds. I am well aware that they have no resale value (except for the gold). As someone who has purchased several earth grown diamond rings in the last few years BH, I have personally experienced how earth diamonds have significantly gone down in price (much to my great pleasure as a consumer). So resale is not a factor for me.

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:29 pm
You can try to convince me all you want
I n
I prefer to buy regular diamonds

Larger diamonds don’t tempt me, I think they’re tacky if not being worn to a simcha.

There will always be a large contingent of people with me on this.

Bottom line is that you can’t go wrong with either one but if it’s a gift you need to be honest about if it’s lab grown

Librarian

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:32 pm
[quote="[url=https://www.imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7545837#7545837]amother Trillium[/url

Bottom line is that you can’t go wrong with either one but if it’s a gift you need to be honest about if it’s lab grown[/quote]

100%!!!

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:34 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
You can try to convince me all you want
I n
I prefer to buy regular diamonds

Larger diamonds don’t tempt me, I think they’re tacky if not being worn to a simcha.

There will always be a large contingent of people with me on this.

Bottom line is that you can’t go wrong with either one but if it’s a gift you need to be honest about if it’s lab grown

Not convincing, was more educating.

Really it’s a feeling thing that you prefer regular. Or can it be explained otherwise? Unless ur someone that buys and resells all the time…

Regarding a gift, how would it really matter if you informed the giftee or not? Aside from her wanting to return or exchange for another piece…

I am curious if those that buy lab for the kallah let her know …

Librarian

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:36 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
Not convincing, was more educating.

Really it’s a feeling thing that you prefer regular. Or can it be explained otherwise? Unless ur someone that buys and resells all the time…

Regarding a gift, how would it really matter if you informed the giftee or not? Aside from her wanting to return or exchange for another piece…

I am curious if those that buy lab for the kallah let her know …

I bought myself lab grown but never for the kallah. But if I did, you bet I would tell her! Or ask her preference.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:41 pm
amother Trillium wrote:

Why? If it's the exact same makeup and jewelers can barely tell the difference, why does a young kallah, with little life experience, whose future MIL and not her chosson is the one buying her the gift, need to be informed of the source of the diamond.

A gift is a gift and should be appreciated as such. If she has preferences, she can inform her husband after marriage.

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:43 pm
I have no problem buying lab for a kallah.

I would decide a budget and offer a bigger lab or a smaller mined.

She can do what she wants.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:43 pm
Librarian wrote:
I bought myself lab grown but never for the kallah. But if I did, you bet I would tell her! Or ask her preference.

I wouldn't. Needing to inform a kallah implies that it's less than. To me, they're equal and there is no need to make a notification about it.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:45 pm
For those that would tell, what difference does it make to the bride?

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:47 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
Im 30 and I don’t really care what younger people do. I like what I like. I feel much better with real.

Lab grown is 'real'.

Just curious what you think of lab-grown embryos. Are they any less real that human embryos? Is there a difference between IVF babies and natural babies?

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:49 pm
amother Mint wrote:
Lab grown is 'real'.

Just curious what you think of lab-grown embryos. Are they any less real that human embryos? Is there a difference between IVF babies and natural babies?

Good mashal!!!

Librarian

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:51 pm
They are significantly cheaper. That makes them "less than". Even if they are the same. To me, not telling or asking would be geneivas daas.

Last edited by Librarian on Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:52 pm
This argument is very today.

It will not exist in the future

Librarian

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:53 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
This argument is very today.

It will not exist in the future

I believe you are correct.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:53 pm
Librarian wrote:
They are significantly cheaper. That makes them "less than". Even if they are the same.

Omg what?? Lolol
Do you know that Overstock in retail is cheaper but so not less than

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:56 pm
Librarian wrote:
They are significantly cheaper. That makes them "less than". Even if they are the same. To me, not telling or asking would be geneivas daas.

Do you also need to be told of the color or clarity of the diamond? Those affect the value too.

It seems like the priority is the value of the gift as opposed to its symbolism or beauty.

Librarian

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:58 pm
amother Mint wrote:
Do you also need to be told of the color or clarity of the diamond? Those affect the value too.

It seems like the priority is the value of the gift as opposed to its symbolism.

Yep! The kallah's get their GIA certificates with their rings. That's the way I roll. And I am happy with my own lab grown ring and earrings. And I am honest about them too!

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:00 am
Librarian wrote:
Yep! The kallah's get their GIA certificates with their rings. That's the way I roll. And I am happy with my own lab grown ring and earrings.

Oh well, that's not how I roll. To me, this gift is symbolic. If it's only appreciated with specific criteria, then the true intent of it is devalued.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:01 am
amother Springgreen wrote:
I just custom made a stunning pair of lab grown earrings. I brought them to a local jeweler and asked them to test them to see if they were real. They used their professional diamond tester and it beeped real. They cost me 1/3 of the price of earth diamonds. I upgraded my real "earth" 2.5 carat diamond engagement ring with a 4.14 carat lab grown. G color. VS1 clarity. Cushion cut so no rating for cut. It cost $2900 including the platinum setting. I am thrilled.

Where’d u purchase this?

Librarian

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:19 am
amother Mint wrote:
Oh well, that's not how I roll. To me, this gift is symbolic. If it's only appreciated with specific criteria, then the true intent of it is devalued.

It's about how I value it.
Page 4 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics