Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Lab diamonds, does it really matter?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Layokee

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:49 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
I have been told that a trained jeweler with special equipment cannot tell the difference, but you are saying that the difference is noticeable to the untrained eye? I find that hard to believe.

A layman will usually not be able to see the difference. But I've seen countless people (who are into jewelry or work in the jewelry industry) see the difference without any special equipment

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:50 pm
I just bought myself a three carat pair of studs. $1900. Stunning and gorgeous.

Way more than fifty percent discounted from ‘real diamonds’

I did some research. If people will be able to get stunning diamonds at a third of the price then these diamonds will become super popular.

Actually, they are already

Which means that way more people are walking around with huge diamonds and those with small ones will feel the need to increase their sizes too with future purchases.

Mostly they’ll end up with lab because the w size they’ll want will be unaffordable in blood diamonds.

So they’ll buy lab… and slowly blood diamonds will lose value.

As a btw they hardly make one carat lab grown diamonds, if at all.

For the record, to echo most knowledgeable posters, they are THE EXACT SAME THING. The difference is in HOW THEY WERE MINED!

Regarding resale, if I want to resell my kallah bracelet purchased for $1100 years ago it is now $100.

And the Point is obviously if you pay less for an item you will get back less.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:51 pm
Layokee wrote:
A layman will usually not be able to see the difference. But I've seen countless people (who are into jewelry or work in the jewelry industry) see the difference without any special equipment

Nope. Just nope.

You need special equipment to test

They may have taken lucky guesses. my uncle who works on 47th for decades says he and his colleagues have no way of knowing without testing.

Librarian

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:51 pm
Layokee wrote:

This is not possible. Google lab grown diamonds to understand what they are.

Layokee

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:55 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
Because its not true. Its a myth that probably came from the diamond industry as they watched their cash cow slowly dying.

I have a friend that produces and sells jewelry. She specifically only sells natural diamonds. Her business is doing better than ever. People tell her that they are using her because they specifically don't want lab grown.
I am not saying that people aren't do8ng lab. I am well aware that a very large percentage of people are buying lab grown jewelry and if that's what works for them-then good for them. But the reality is not that EVERYONE is buying lab grown. Far from it

Layokee

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:57 pm
I personally would rather buy expensive fake jewelry than lab grown

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:59 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
I just bought myself a three carat pair of studs. $1900. Stunning and gorgeous.

Way more than fifty percent discounted from ‘real diamonds’

I did some research. If people will be able to get stunning diamonds at a third of the price then these diamonds will become super popular.

Actually, they are already

Which means that way more people are walking around with huge diamonds and those with small ones will feel the need to increase their sizes too with future purchases.

Mostly they’ll end up with lab because the w size they’ll want will be unaffordable in blood diamonds.

So they’ll buy lab… and slowly blood diamonds will lose value.

As a btw they hardly make one carat lab grown diamonds, if at all.

For the record, to echo most knowledgeable posters, they are THE EXACT SAME THING. The difference is in HOW THEY WERE MINED!

Regarding resale, if I want to resell my kallah bracelet purchased for $1100 years ago it is now $100.

And the Point is obviously if you pay less for an item you will get back less.

I wear smaller (not tiny) real diamonds and don’t feel the need to get larger. I like a smaller classier more modest look. I also think that smaller diamonds look more real. Whenever I see someone with huge diamonds I assume they’re lab.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:03 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
I wear smaller (not tiny) real diamonds and don’t feel the need to get larger. I like a smaller classier more modest look. I also think that smaller diamonds look more real. Whenever I see someone with huge diamonds I assume they’re lab.

Give it time

Watch the trend shift. Blood or lab- bigger is by far more and more prevalent

The younger ones are not buying the small ones

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:05 pm
Also all the research I’ve done shows that regular diamonds to have resale value vs lab grown which don’t.

I’m not talking about jewelry made of tiny pave diamonds, but rather studs or an engagement ring or tennis bracelet

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:06 pm
Give it time

Watch the trend shift. Blood or lab- bigger is by far more and more prevalent

The younger ones are not buying the small ones

Im 30 and I don’t really care what younger people do. I like what I like. I feel much better with real.

chanatron1000

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:06 pm
amother Trillium wrote:

What looks good depends on your features. Smaller pieces blend in too much on some people, while on others larger ones can look overwhelming.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:08 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
Im 30 and I don’t really care what younger people do. I like what I like. I feel much better with real.

You do you
Just don’t forget they’re the exact same thing.

One is a frozen cookie dough baked and the other is a fresh dough baked

They’re one and the same. Difference is how its obtained

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:11 pm
Layokee wrote:
I have a friend that produces and sells jewelry. She specifically only sells natural diamonds. Her business is doing better than ever. People tell her that they are using her because they specifically don't want lab grown.
I am not saying that people aren't do8ng lab. I am well aware that a very large percentage of people are buying lab grown jewelry and if that's what works for them-then good for them. But the reality is not that EVERYONE is buying lab grown. Far from it

I want to add that the older generation is not going to change. They believe in blood diamonds and it’s not changing

But as time passes the new generation, for sure by the secular, us fully immersed in lab grown. They’ll spend the same 6k on earrings as you would, but much larger diamonds

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:11 pm
You do you
Just don’t forget they’re the exact same thing.

One is a frozen cookie dough baked and the other is a fresh dough baked

They’re one and the same. Difference is how its obtained

They’re not the same
If you try passing off a lab Diamond as a regular, you’ll be in big legal trouble.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:13 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
They’re not the same
If you try passing off a lab Diamond as a regular, you’ll be in big legal trouble.

I didn’t say u can pass it off as the same in terms of legality. Legality dictates that you be honest in the way it was acquired.

But the product is the exact same thing. Same exact ingredients. Same exact thing

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:13 pm
I want to add that the older generation is not going to change. They believe in blood diamonds and it’s not changing

But as time passes the new generation, for sure by the secular, us fully immersed in lab grown. They’ll spend the same 6k on earrings as you would, but much larger diamonds

I am 54 years old. Am I the older generation? Because I love my new lab grown 4+ carat diamond ring that I upgraded from my earth 2.5 carat ring that I got 35 years ago as a kallah.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:14 pm
For a bit more clarity if I am a professional baker and I bake chocolate cake I can name it ‘darkmagenta cake’. If I give my sister the exact recipe and she makes it too, it’s the same thing- but she can’t call it darkmagenta cake.

Get it?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:15 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
Also all the research I’ve done shows that regular diamonds to have resale value vs lab grown which don’t.

I’m not talking about jewelry made of tiny pave diamonds, but rather studs or an engagement ring or tennis bracelet

As long as you know what "resale value" means, usually 25% - 50% of what you paid.

There are much better things to invest in. Take the money you saved by buying lab and put it into stocks, you'll come out far ahead.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:16 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:
I am 54 years old. Am I the older generation? Because I love my new lab grown 4+ carat diamond ring that I upgraded from my earth 2.5 carat ring that I got 35 years ago as a kallah.

lol. Maybe not. Ur certainly a flexible nature. I find the older generation is like “cut the **** I’ll by diamonds the way I’ve always bought and you’re not gonna sell me no brooklyn bridge about any other type being the same thing”

chanatron1000

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:21 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
They’re not the same

If I try operating under the identity of "Spiderwoman Smithberg," I might get in trouble. However, if I legally change my name to that, that won't be the case anymore. Same me.
Page 3 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics