Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Lab diamonds, does it really matter?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 9:42 am
amother Trillium wrote:
Same thing with lab
If you buy a 5k lab piece today it will likely be selling for much much less in ten years
That’s not a reason to buy lab

It’s not a reason to buy lab, it’s a reason not to buy mined diamonds. Because it’ll be worth so much less -why would u spend so much money on it now when you can get the same thing for cheaper?

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 9:44 am
DrMom wrote:
Quote:
On the other hand gold is more stable. While it can be chemically engineered, to do so is way for expensive than to mine gold, although we never know if that might change.

Gold cannot be created in a lab, unless you believe in alchemy.

https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/.....ents/

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 9:48 am
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
It’s not a reason to buy lab, it’s a reason not to buy mined diamonds. Because it’ll be worth so much less -why would u spend so much money on it now when you can get the same thing for cheaper?

So I shouldn’t buy any diamonds in that case. Because lab will also be worth much less.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 9:50 am
amother Trillium wrote:
So I shouldn’t buy any diamonds in that case. Because lab will also be worth much less.

Correct- don’t buy diamonds for worth, buy them for their beauty

DrMom

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 9:53 am
amother cornflower wrote:
https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2014/05/02/can-gold-be-created-from-other-elements/

Um, yes, of course you can create gold via nuclear reactions. Physicists create new transuranium chemical elements like Rutherfordium, Einsteinium, and Californium this way.

But --- as of this writing --- it is neither practical, safe, or scalable to run a nuclear reaction to make someone enough gold for a ring.

amother
Trillium

Correct- don’t buy diamonds for worth, buy them for their beauty

I think my earth diamonds are beautiful 🤷🏻‍♀️

amother
DarkMagenta

DrMom wrote:
Um, yes, of course you can create gold via nuclear reactions. Physicists create new transuranium chemical elements like Rutherfordium, Einsteinium, and Californium this way.

But --- as of this writing --- it is neither practical, safe, or scalable to run a nuclear reaction to make someone enough gold for a ring.

My point exactly. As of this writing it is cheaper to mine gold than create it

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:06 am
amother Trillium wrote:

Of course. If labs are beautiful then earth are too CUZ ITS THE SAME THING LOL

and if they’re beautiful and u want more then they’re available for awesome affordable prices

amother
Charcoal

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:10 am
amother Trillium wrote:

And if it got swapped for a lab diamond you would never know. . .

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:21 am
Librarian wrote:
Oh believe me I was THRILLED to find jewelry prices had gone down. Especially since catering had Doubled and the Flowers had tripled in price!

Diamond prices but silver gold and other metals aren't cheaper AFAIK

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:29 am
Personally, from what I've seen non-jewish people post on instagram about their choice for lab grown diamonds is that it's "ethical" no-one has to work in the mine, get underpaid and bad working conditions...
They don't talk about price or quality,to them it's on trend with the whole "working conditions" thingy. That's why I think it's so popular out there, more than jewish circles.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:29 am
I want to know why lab diamonds are even that much.(Not compared to earth , I mean compared to cz or anything else ) Is it just market value? Or does it really cost that much to make them?

DrMom

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:32 am
amother Red wrote:
I want to know why lab diamonds are even that much.(Not compared to earth , I mean compared to cz or anything else ) Is it just market value? Or does it really cost that much to make them?

CZ is not the main competitor; mined diamonds are.

When the alternative is an expensive mined diamond, you can charge a lot for a lab diamond even if your manufacturing costs are low.

Last edited by DrMom on Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:34 am
amother Tangerine wrote:
Personally, from what I've seen non-jewish people post on instagram about their choice for lab grown diamonds is that it's "ethical" no-one has to work in the mine, get underpaid and bad working conditions...
They don't talk about price or quality,to them it's on trend with the whole "working conditions" thingy. That's why I think it's so popular out there, more than jewish circles.

It’s both.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/t.....1c9e7

“Some consumers want lab-grown diamonds because they view them as more socially and environmentally sustainable. But price is also a factor. Man-made diamonds retail for about a quarter of the price of traditional diamonds, depending on the size. The retail price of a one-carat man-made diamond has been dropping; it declined by about 74% since 2015 when man-made and mined diamonds cost roughly the same, Mr. Zimnisky says. As of early this year, a 1 carat lab-grown diamond retailed for $1,430 compared with $5,635 for the same-size mined diamond.

The lower prices are leading some shoppers to supersize their stones. The average size of a lab-grown diamond engagement ring in 2022 was 1.8 carats, compared with 1.5 carats for a natural diamond, according to The Knot.

Mass-market jewelry chains such as Kay Jewelers have been selling lab-grown diamonds since 2019. Pandora, launched a lab-grown collection in the U.S. last year.

Some luxury brands such as Gucci and watchmaker Breitling recently started using man-made diamonds in their collections.

Tag Heuer, which is owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SA, says the versatility of man-made diamonds, which can be grown to specific shapes, opens up new design possibilities. Its Carrera Plasma watch is encrusted with diamonds grown by Israeli company Lusix in different shapes and the crown is made of one whole diamond. It would have been impractical to create a similar watch with natural diamonds because of the waste involved in cutting and shaping the stones, the company says. LVMH’s private equity arm, LVMH Luxury Ventures, and other backers last year invested $90 million in Lusix, which uses solar power to grow its diamonds.

“Consumers are smart,” says Lusix founder Benny Landa. “When they see a two carat lab-grown diamond for not much more than a one carat mined diamond, it’s a no-brainer.”

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:34 am
amother Freesia wrote:
I'm a certified chemist and this is rubbish.

Lab grown diamonds make real diamonds look yellowish because of how perfect they are.

(I.e. if a tennis bracelet is a mixture, you will find yourself less satisfied with the mined ones than had it been pure mined ones)

If this is the case (I wouldnt know because I have a real one -E grade so it is pretty good) then I wouldnt be interested in a lab diamond anymore than I would be interested in the perfect white teeth that actors and tv personalities have. They are not natural looking!
Of course I also don't care a whit for other people's opinions. I'm not interested in impressing others with my perfect, large ring.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:36 am
amother Red wrote:

There’s a much larger markup: over 50% for lab vs 30% for mined. That markup will come down as more supply continues to enter the market.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:47 am
amother Lightgreen wrote:
If this is the case (I wouldnt know because I have a real one -E grade so it is pretty good) then I wouldnt be interested in a lab diamond anymore than I would be interested in the perfect white teeth that actors and tv personalities have. They are not natural looking!
Of course I also don't care a whit for other people's opinions. I'm not interested in impressing others with my perfect, large ring.

If that's the case, why have white diamond jewelry? 100% colorless is considered the ideal for those. And there are plenty of other beautiful gemstones, including fancy color diamonds, sapphires, spinel, topaz, etc.

amother
Dimgray

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:48 am
A lab grown diamond is not valued at 0 when u leave the store! Who told u that?

It’s worth less than real CUZ YOU PAID LESS😀
The ratio is proportionate to how much you spent

Btw, mined jewels are also not worth the same the minute you wear the piece.

Do you know anyone that will buy off your lab jewelry? I know of plenty of people that would buy off your natural diamonds and not one that would buy off your lab grown

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:50 am
amother Dimgray wrote:
Do you know anyone that will buy off your lab jewelry? I know of plenty of people that would buy off your natural diamonds and not one that would buy off your lab grown

Not for much longer

And yes people will buy off lab- for cheaper

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:52 am
amother Dimgray wrote:

Math question:
If you can sell your $6000 natural diamond piece back for $3500 and your neighbor can only sell her identical $1200 lab grown for $350 (value of the gold to melt) who lost more money?
Page 8 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics