Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Traveling on a passport that expires five months after retur
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 8:15 pm
happy12 wrote:
Renewal by mail is currently about 3 weeks. Two of my children did it in the Las 3 months. One even got it back in 2 weeks.
Not expedited.

This is really a stroke of luck. It can take 3 months by mail.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 10:11 pm
As a former travel agent:
So it depends on certain things. Lets say you're a Us citizen and you are flying to America from Ey you will most likely be allowed in as you are a US Citizen.

If you are flying To EY with less than 6 months you will most likely not be allowed into Ey.

happy12

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 10:42 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:
This is really a stroke of luck. It can take 3 months by mail.

No since January it is quite quick.(the covid backlog is finally over)These 2 adult children leave in 2 different locations. My child who sent it in November 2022 waited 8 months .

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 11:37 pm
my daughter, 18 is now in EY on a passport expiring in April 2024. The travel agent checked and apparently Israel lets Jews with a passport of less than 6 months expiration. I guess they figure, worst case she'll make aliya.

She had absolutely no issues. She was with a group and they were at the gate less than 30 minutes after they arrived in the airport. (newark)

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:14 am
amother Brown wrote:
my daughter, 18 is now in EY on a passport expiring in April 2024. The travel agent checked and apparently Israel lets Jews with a passport of less than 6 months expiration. I guess they figure, worst case she'll make aliya.

She had absolutely no issues. She was with a group and they were at the gate less than 30 minutes after they arrived in the airport. (newark)

Do sem girls have to obtain a year long visa before they arrive? If yes it could make a difference.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:23 am
amother Ruby wrote:
We were living in Israel, flew out of Israel to America on an American passport when DS's passport still had six months on it, but when it came time to fly back to Israel he only had five months. The Turkish Airlines agent didn't want to let him through but we argued with him that DS was born in Israel and his American passport was initially issued in Israel so it's as if he's flying back to his home country (or something to that affect, it was awhile ago.) he called a superior in Turkey and eventually let us through BH.

OP, with antisemitism on the rise you don't want to take the chance, do you?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 7:46 am
amother Ginger wrote:
As a former travel agent:
So it depends on certain things. Lets say you're a Us citizen and you are flying to America from Ey you will most likely be allowed in as you are a US Citizen.

If you are flying To EY with less than 6 months you will most likely not be allowed into Ey.

Another Ginger,
Can you please clarify this for me??
We are flying in a few weeks to the US from Israel for pesach. My husband is both a US citizen and an Israeli citizen, his Israeli passport is totally fine but his American passport expires in June (less than 3 months)
I am nervous to send it in to be renewed bc I’m not positive we’ll get in back on time.
From my googling it seems that the US allows citizens in from Israel who’s passports expire within 6 month.
Is this what you’re talking about?
Do you think I can rely on this?

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 8:10 am
amother Goldenrod wrote:
Another Ginger,
We are flying in a few weeks to the US from Israel for pesach. My husband is both a US citizen and an Israeli citizen, his Israeli passport is totally fine but his American passport expires in June (less than 3 months)
I am nervous to send it in to be renewed bc I’m not positive we’ll get in back on time.
From my googling it seems that the US allows citizens in from Israel who’s passports expire within 6 month.

There is no issue entering the US on a passport that is almost expiring. In fact you would even be allowed in on an expired passport. The requirement for 6 months is when traveling to some international destination.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 8:56 am
To clarify. DD went with her NY sem to EY last week on a passport expiring in April. She had absolutely no issues. Noone remarked on anything.

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:00 am
amother Brown wrote:
To clarify. DD went with her NY sem to EY last week on a passport expiring in April. She had absolutely no issues. Noone remarked on anything.

Then she got very lucky.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:05 am
amother Brown wrote:

Did she have a visa for a year already issued?
If yes its the answer then it explains the whole thing.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:10 am
amother Birch wrote:
There is no issue entering the US on a passport that is almost expiring. In fact you would even be allowed in on an expired passport. The requirement for 6 months is when traveling to some international destination.

The requirement is when traveling to a country in which the person doesn't have a citizenship.

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:26 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
The requirement is when traveling to a country in which the person doesn't have a citizenship.

Nope. Every country has their own requirements. Israel's requirement happens to be 6 months. I've traveled to many countries where the only requirements was that passport had to be valid for duration of the trip.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:34 am
The concern is that you might get stuck in the destination country for whatever reason and then you can be left with an expired passport.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:47 am
amother Birch wrote:
Nope. Every country has their own requirements. Israel's requirement happens to be 6 months. I've traveled to many countries where the only requirements was that passport had to be valid for duration of the trip.

Totally agree.
My reply was to the person who claimed "going somewhere international" which in turn was a reply to OP.
I would *never* travel with a passport which could ruin the entire journey, especially with antisemitism on that rise.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:48 am
amother Goldenrod wrote:
Another Ginger,

I think you can rely on this. I think even the consulate would tell you that its not a problem.

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 11:29 am
If you fly El Al to Israel they let you fly as long as the passport is not expired. I did that, my passport expired like 2 months after I flew.

amother
Clover

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:03 pm
amother Birch wrote:
Yes my brother was denied boarding. I belive the requirement is 6 months from when you leave US, nothing to do with your return flight if that makes a difference to your situation.

Yes, this. Return flight is never an issue if you're a citizen of the country you're returning to. When you're a citizen you can travel back up until the date of expiration.

So it depends only on how many months between your outbound flight and the expiration date.

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:06 pm
You can call the airline you are flying with and ask them.
You can also renew your passport at a passport agency (there are 26 in the US) which only cost and extra $50.
Call 1-877-487-2778 from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Mondays through Fridays, or on Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00
They are very helpful especially if you are flying in under 72 hours
You can also do it online I think

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:08 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
If you fly El Al to Israel they let you fly as long as the passport is not expired. I did that, my passport expired like 2 months after I flew.

Airlines don't make passport rules. It's a matter between countries.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics