Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
New to Mishpacha, catch me up
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:38 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
Since when is it in the jewish hashkafa to be cavalier about printing images of women where men will see them?

If R' Shmuel Kamenetzky okayed it for family pictures which included his wife, you will have a hard sell to get a majority to agree it is cavalier or against mainstream American chareidi/yeshivish hashkafa. (And these photos were in the main Mishpacha not even the Family First.)

chestnut

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:43 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
Since when is it in the jewish hashkafa to be cavalier about printing images of women where men will see them?

Ever heard of the Jewish Observer or the Jewish Press? Guess what all frum and yeshivishe people read before Mishpacha and Yated? Or you think they weren't as yeshivishe as you and your husband?

chestnut

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:46 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
The reason some people aren't comfortable with Mishpacha isn't the army or the pictures of women. It's because it's 'worldly' and discusses many topics that some may call controversial, concerning or exposing. So even though it portrays the Torah perspective on these topics, I might not choose to know, or have my kids know, so much about non-Jewish politics, liberal ideas, etc. (Sorry I can't think of more specifics at this moment. If others think of examples of what I'm saying, please post).
It will clearly show that wrong ideas are wrong, so I wouldn't say it has wrong hashkafos. Just makes you very worldly.

I can hear that. Although wouldn't such topics only be in the main magazine? Kids usually aren't reading that one. As to yourself, you're on imamother where such topics are talked about in more detail than in Mishpacha Wink

chestnut

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:48 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
It’s done carefully

There was a picture of Karina Ariel, hostage. It helps me picture her when I daven…
I’m a fan. It’s done well and I think not printing any pictures of women just causes women to be sxualized.

I think tznius pics are totally fine. Especially in the women’s magazine.

Glad to hear they printed Karina's picture. I agree with your points.

sequoia

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 8:56 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:

Chabad specifically makes a point of including women’s photographs in publications.

momallhours

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 9:02 pm
Big Mishpacha fan here! It is professionally written, articles cover all styles and 'genres', the authors are superb. It's a quality read not just hyped up fluff that makes your blood boil about how people can be so crazy..

amother
Milk

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 1:13 am
amother OP wrote:
That wasn't the catch-up I was expecting but ok, all politically informed now. Anyone enjoying a serial or something?

Maybe it would have been better to specify what sort of responses you were interested in, OP.

To you it seemed that commenters hijacked your post for "political" discussion.

The reality is that a large proportion of Klal Yisrael is affected by the current war.

That's not petty politics.

Under the circumstances, it's not surprising that the situation would come up in a post about a frum mag that reports on the situation, in addition to publishing light entertainment material.

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 6:49 am
chestnut wrote:
Ever heard of the Jewish Observer or the Jewish Press? Guess what all frum and yeshivishe people read before Mishpacha and Yated? Or you think they weren't as yeshivishe as you and your husband?

I don't know any yeshivish or chassidish families that read (past tense) the Jewish Press. The only heimish person I knew who read it was my grandfather, in order to get news about EY. My father would only let us read it in DGF's house, we weren't allowed to bring it home.

You're right, of course, about the JO, which everyone read and which had pictures of women.

yellowroses

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 7:17 am
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
They actually have started printing some (carefully chosen) pictures of women in the print magazine. You have to be looking to notice as they aren't splashed on the front cover and they don't print headshots of the female authors, but they will have historical photos or group photos that have women. A notable article that included some was the big cover story on Jennie Miller in last year's Pesach edition. They got so much good feedback on that article (which included full family photos provided by the Kamenetzky family, a clear indication that the yeshivish world is ok with photos of women being published) that they've been publishing more photos since then.
Maybe that's what the poster was referring to, since she said it's been since last year. Probably they did lose some subscriptions over that, but I guess they have retained enough or gained even more to offset those few.

They also don’t run these stupid „no lace“ ads.

yellowroses

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 7:19 am
momallhours wrote:
Big Mishpacha fan here! It is professionally written, articles cover all styles and 'genres', the authors are superb. It's a quality read not just hyped up fluff that makes your blood boil about how people can be so crazy..

Same!

amother
Mintgreen

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 7:20 am
I don't know why everyone is attacking amother who has high standards and doesn't want to subscribe to the mishpacha anymore. She's entitled to her decision and is not stopping anyone else from reading the mishpacha.

Ftr I get the Mishpacha every week and have no issue with the things she mentioned, like the photo of the women, but if my dh liked to pick up the magazine from time to time I could see why he might be bothered by it. The no women pictures thing is a standard that they put in place so they don't have to veto certain pics of women that might be tnzius per halacha but very eye catching and attracting, so they have a blanket rule that states no pics of women at all. They now allow some pics of women and I'm happy about that but I would totally see why someone would say this is not for them and therefore unsubscribe.

amother
Charcoal

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 7:24 am
The attack is probably because she called the newspaper 'not jewish'
Which is basically like calling a chocolate chip cookies with margarine- not chocolate chip cookies- because you don't believe margarine should be put into cookies.

amother
Thistle

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 8:17 am
amother Mintgreen wrote:
I don't know why everyone is attacking amother who has high standards and doesn't want to subscribe to the mishpacha anymore. She's entitled to her decision and is not stopping anyone else from reading the mishpacha.

Ftr I get the Mishpacha every week and have no issue with the things she mentioned, like the photo of the women, but if my dh liked to pick up the magazine from time to time I could see why he might be bothered by it. The no women pictures thing is a standard that they put in place so they don't have to veto certain pics of women that might be tnzius per halacha but very eye catching and attracting, so they have a blanket rule that states no pics of women at all. They now allow some pics of women and I'm happy about that but I would totally see why someone would say this is not for them and therefore unsubscribe.

Because we don't agree that it is "high standards". We believe it is a perversion of Jewish theology guised as "high standards."

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 1:45 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
Since when is it against halacha to have illustrations of photos of women or tzniyus pictures? Are you going to start taking out women's names too? Should we refer to Rochel Imeinu at R Imeinu? When does this end?

Can anyone quote an actual halacha about women's pictures? Yeshivish people read the Jewish observer way back. We focus on these superficial stupidities and not the real halachos we break.

Men aren't allowed to look at women (who aren't directly related to them).
Reb Moshe in Igros Moshe Orach Chaim ch. 1 siman 40 writes in a tshuva to be careful not to look at a woman's face even when talking to give her a halachic ruling.

If you think it's superficial stupidities then you just don't understand how men work...

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 1:54 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
Because we don't agree that it is "high standards". We believe it is a perversion of Jewish theology guised as "high standards."

If you simply "don't agree" then the responses would be a lot more friendly. Attacks mean that the attacker feels threatened - well, what are you feeling threatened by? If you think I have a belief that is a perversion of Jewish theology, why would that bother you so strongly? So there's one more person in the world believing something wrong, big deal.
Maybe it's because if you admit it's a high standard it makes you feel guilty...?

The ones who decide what Jewish theology and hashkafa is are the gedolei hador, not Mishpacha's rabbinical board (or a thread-ful of angry amothers) and I highly doubt you'll find a gadol hador who is ok with printing photos of women in a family magazine

Odelyah

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:25 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
If you simply "don't agree" then the responses would be a lot more friendly. Attacks mean that the attacker feels threatened - well, what are you feeling threatened by? If you think I have a belief that is a perversion of Jewish theology, why would that bother you so strongly? So there's one more person in the world believing something wrong, big deal.
Maybe it's because if you admit it's a high standard it makes you feel guilty...?

The ones who decide what Jewish theology and hashkafa is are the gedolei hador, not Mishpacha's rabbinical board (or a thread-ful of angry amothers) and I highly doubt you'll find a gadol hador who is ok with printing photos of women in a family magazine

The Jewish Observer was the publication of Agudas Yisrael of America. Completely endorsed by the gedolim. And it published pictures of women when appropriate. so does Artscroll, also endorsed by gedolim..
this was never actually a shaila among the litvishe gedolim, at least not in the US
and I'm sorry, but you can't cherry pick a Rav Moshe about poskim looking at women, in person, who come to ask shailas as proof of anything. Even about that exact thing--unless you are a talmid of Rav Moshe across the board. For example, do you listen to music? At all? Rav Moshe holds no listening to music for enjoyment, zecher l'churban..
on the other hand, pretty sure none of the gedolim past or present, would approve of the normalization of extreme spending on luxury brands and over the top gashmiyus that is perpetuated by all the magazines. but maybe no one asked that shaila Sad

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:30 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:

As mentioned previously, R' Shmuel Kamenetzky gave approval for his family photos which included his wife and daughters, to be printed in Mishpacha just last year. For the American yeshivish community he is considered a gadol hador.

Odelyah

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 11:19 pm
amother Thistle wrote:

THIS
and that it's a harmful misrepresentation of Torah Judaism. it is not emes. it is like baal tosif--adding a made-up mitzva to the Torah that can lead people astray. it makes good, sincere, truth-seeking people think Torah Jews are like the Taliban and it turns them off r"l. it's a chilul Hashem.
not every made up "chumra" equals a higher standard. which is why no one condones the burka wearing cults. Hey maybe they just make everyone uncomfortable because of their higher standards? No.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 11:23 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
Men aren't allowed to look at women (who aren't directly related to them).
Reb Moshe in Igros Moshe Orach Chaim ch. 1 siman 40 writes in a tshuva to be careful not to look at a woman's face even when talking to give her a halachic ruling.

If you think it's superficial stupidities then you just don't understand how men work...

I am not arguing or disagreeing with R' Moshe's teshuva, but that onus should be on the man. Because of this, the family first magazine can't have pictures of tzanua ladies? I'm not even talking about the main magazines but the women ones. IF a man is makpid on this, he shouldnt' read magazines that he knows have women in it or he can read it and just skip over the pictures.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 11:27 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
I don't know any yeshivish or chassidish families that read (past tense) the Jewish Press. The only heimish person I knew who read it was my grandfather, in order to get news about EY. My father would only let us read it in DGF's house, we weren't allowed to bring it home.

You're right, of course, about the JO, which everyone read and which had pictures of women.

For your information, for many years, 100's of Jewish Press were sold in Williamsburg. It was the only jewish weekly newspaper. It had beautiful articles, like: I remember when, Abi Gezunt, Problems in Human Emotions (By Dr. Mandel) The Rebitzin Speaks, by Rebitzin Jungreis. Many stories for young readers.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room