Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
New to Mishpacha, catch me up
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 6:38 am
chestnut wrote:
Not really to the bold. They don't print women's pics, although do have them on their website. And I highly doubt that their rabbinical board are from the crowd you mentioned.

They actually have started printing some (carefully chosen) pictures of women in the print magazine. You have to be looking to notice as they aren't splashed on the front cover and they don't print headshots of the female authors, but they will have historical photos or group photos that have women. A notable article that included some was the big cover story on Jennie Miller in last year's Pesach edition. They got so much good feedback on that article (which included full family photos provided by the Kamenetzky family, a clear indication that the yeshivish world is ok with photos of women being published) that they've been publishing more photos since then.
Maybe that's what the poster was referring to, since she said it's been since last year. Probably they did lose some subscriptions over that, but I guess they have retained enough or gained even more to offset those few.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 8:29 am
OP I feel bad you're not getting the answers you want.

In the serial for granted we have two friends running a chessed org. The serial isn't the action action packed type rather trying to portray feelings/perspectives. So we have Ayala who is portraying the 'altruistic' character she founded chesed tzirel and 'Dini' who is her best friend and help her with the chesed org. dini's world is colored from the rich background she comes from. She feels that Ayala doesnt value her input and views her as a spoiled brat. They both realize that they have stronger and weaker points and that the other view/person has merit...

The other serial is harder to summarize it's more complex as its a sequel to an already complex story.
Annie is the mom. She is almost due with a surprise pregnancy. Her husband Abie wants to move to the catskills to become head of a nicu. Her son Moe just joined the army and is about to be deployed to vietnam. Her step son is Artie who has feelings for Marjorie. Annie's father owns the fried hotel. Moe is her brother.
Marjorie Burton is a secular girl who boarded at the hotel for a while. she now finished college and ran away from home to LA

There's probably more but this is a brief synopsis

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 8:42 am
amother Charcoal wrote:
Seems like Mishpacha is alligning on the US side with the Yeshivishish/Modern Yeshivish/Five towns/OOT/JPF crowd and on the Israel side with the anglo charedi hashkafa.
Not so much with the very Insular/Isolated/Yeshivish lakewood/Eitz kind of hashkafa.
Thank you Mishpacha for presenting a wonderful publication each week that is well rounded, non senstional and true to a full torah life.

This is a strange grouping. Mainstream insular chareidi Israeli hashkafa is NOT Eitz.
Eitz is very much a tiny fringe group in Israel. Like Neturei Karta, I wouldn't group them together with any other group beside themselves.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 8:45 am
amother Poinsettia wrote:
OP I feel bad you're not getting the answers you want.

In the serial for granted we have two friends running a chessed org. The serial isn't the action action packed type rather trying to portray feelings/perspectives. So we have Ayala who is portraying the 'altruistic' character she founded chesed tzirel and 'Dini' who is her best friend and help her with the chesed org. dini's world is colored from the rich background she comes from. She feels that Ayala doesnt value her input and views her as a spoiled brat. They both realize that they have stronger and weaker points and that the other view/person has merit...

The other serial is harder to summarize it's more complex as its a sequel to an already complex story.
Annie is the mom. She is almost due with a surprise pregnancy. Her husband Abie wants to move to the catskills to become head of a nicu. Her son Moe just joined the army and is about to be deployed to vietnam. Her step son is Artie who has feelings for Marjorie. Annie's father owns the fried hotel. Moe is her brother. O e.
Marjorie Burton is a secular girl who boarded at the hotel for a while. she now finished college and ran away from home to LA

Great synopsis. Just a correction: Annie's son is Mutty, and her brother is Moe

I love the FF serials

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 9:20 am
Huge mishpacha fan here
And I'm rw yeshivish from Lakewood etc

Mishpacha is not for super yeshivish people because it is not afraid to tackle or highlight issues or ideas that are new or different.
People who don't like new or are not open to hearing another perspective would not be their target audience.

It is very very professional and well written.
Enjoy your subscription!!

chestnut

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 9:31 am
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
They actually have started printing some (carefully chosen) pictures of women in the print magazine. You have to be looking to notice as they aren't splashed on the front cover and they don't print headshots of the female authors, but they will have historical photos or group photos that have women. A notable article that included some was the big cover story on Jennie Miller in last year's Pesach edition. They got so much good feedback on that article (which included full family photos provided by the Kamenetzky family, a clear indication that the yeshivish world is ok with photos of women being published) that they've been publishing more photos since then.
Maybe that's what the poster was referring to, since she said it's been since last year. Probably they did lose some subscriptions over that, but I guess they have retained enough or gained even more to offset those few.

True, I heard this. Is it only pics of women who passed away? Although it's a drop in a bucket, hopefully, it's a (very slow) beginning of the permanent change.
Hm, could this be the reason some here don't like it any more?

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 9:39 am
amother Poinsettia wrote:
Annie is the mom. She is almost due with a surprise pregnancy. Her husband Abie wants to move to the catskills to become head of a nicu. Her son Moe just joined the army and is about to be deployed to vietnam. Her step son is Artie who has feelings for Marjorie. Annie's father owns the fried hotel. Moe is her brother.

I heard from the author that it will probably finish around Pesach, so if you're new to it, don't spend too much energy trying to understand it.

amother
Eggplant

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:32 am
The reason some people aren't comfortable with Mishpacha isn't the army or the pictures of women. It's because it's 'worldly' and discusses many topics that some may call controversial, concerning or exposing. So even though it portrays the Torah perspective on these topics, I might not choose to know, or have my kids know, so much about non-Jewish politics, liberal ideas, etc. (Sorry I can't think of more specifics at this moment. If others think of examples of what I'm saying, please post).
It will clearly show that wrong ideas are wrong, so I wouldn't say it has wrong hashkafos. Just makes you very worldly.

dena613

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:37 am
amother Eggplant wrote:
The reason some people aren't comfortable with Mishpacha isn't the army or the pictures of women. It's because it's 'worldly' and discusses many topics that some may call controversial, concerning or exposing. So even though it portrays the Torah perspective on these topics, I might not choose to know, or have my kids know, so much about non-Jewish politics, liberal ideas, etc. (Sorry I can't think of more specifics at this moment. If others think of examples of what I'm saying, please post).
It will clearly show that wrong ideas are wrong, so I wouldn't say it has wrong hashkafos. Just makes you very worldly.

Like a rosenblum column may hint or mention same gender marriage

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:39 am
chestnut wrote:
True, I heard this. Is it only pics of women who passed away? Although it's a drop in a bucket, hopefully, it's a (very slow) beginning of the permanent change.
Hm, could this be the reason some here don't like it any more?

It’s done carefully

There was a picture of Karina Ariev, hostage. It helps me picture her when I daven…
I’m a fan. It’s done well and I think not printing any pictures of women just causes women to be sxualized.

I think tznius pics are totally fine. Especially in the women’s magazine.

Last edited by allthingsblue on Sun, Mar 17 2024, 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:46 am
dena613 wrote:
Like a rosenblum column may hint or mention same gender marriage

You know, that brings to mind a Jewish Observer issue from probably 30 years ago, where it was mentioned. A reader wrote in very upset that this introduced the concept to his kids (it wasn't even about marriage as that wasn't something that was even on the table politically in liberal circles back in the 1990s. I think it was just about lobbyists pushing for the inclusion and recognition in NYC events). Interestingly, as I recall, it was the rosh yeshiva R'Chaim Dov Keller who was either quoted by the editor, or actually wrote the response himself, that this was an important issue that must be addressed by the Torah world, although of course it was the reader's prerogative to preread/tear out etc before having his kids read the magazine, as he deemed best. (I think R' Keller was actually the one who had written the article addressing the issue....)
So, I wouldn't call it "not Jewish" to address these issues, certainly it doesn't mean it's not a Torah publication. This was something the big Roshei Yeshiva and rabbanim of the Agudah even years ago felt should be addressed and included in a Torah publication.
But, of course, everyone has the prerogative to decide what they personally feel comfortable with bringing into their home, and what they want to be exposed to.

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:15 pm
amother Aster wrote:
I'm not the person who wrote that it's less jewish, but I did agree with her, and this is NOT what I meant.

I just typed out then erased what I actually think. I don't think it's ltoeles. But I didn't want it to go unanswered that people think it's less jewish because it's interviewing religious families who have served in the war. All I'll say is I unsubscribed last year because of changes I saw.

I'm the one who wrote that it's less Jewish and I wasn't talking about the IDF articles. I also wasn't referring to the mentions of same-gender marriages or fertility preservation or any of the other controversial topics they cover. If I have an issue with those, I won't read them or I'll tear them out so my kids don't see them.

Pictures of women was one of the things I was talking about - not the silhouette of Hillary Clinton (although that would never have been printed a few years back) - but realistic illustrations of real people, lightly filtered photos, and AI-generated images (which are worse than photos in many ways), as well as adverts of girls who are well over the age limit of 6. It bothers DH and he's a regular yeshivish guy, not Satmar or super heavy as amother assumed further up the thread.
There are quite a few other points but this was the one people were discussing

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:17 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
I'm the one who wrote that it's less Jewish and I wasn't talking about the IDF articles. I also wasn't referring to the mentions of same-gender marriages or fertility preservation or any of the other controversial topics they cover. If I have an issue with those, I won't read them or I'll tear them out so my kids don't see them.

Pictures of women was one of the things I was talking about - not the silhouette of Hillary Clinton (although that would never have been printed a few years back) - but realistic illustrations of real people, lightly filtered photos, and AI-generated images (which are worse than photos in many ways), as well as adverts of girls who are well over the age limit of 6. It bothers DH and he's a regular yeshivish guy, not Satmar or super heavy as amother assumed further up the thread.

Illistrations are nonjewish? Pictures of women are nonjewish? Oy oy oy

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:25 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:

Anyway, most of the magazines have the same exact ads (including those of girls over the age of 6).

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:26 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:

Since when is it in the jewish hashkafa to be cavalier about printing images of women where men will see them?

chestnut

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:28 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:

Phew, so it IS women's pics. I was wondering if it's something serious.
Can you reread your post and see how it sounds? "Realistic illustrations of real ppl" (not even photos, drawings!), advertisements with GIRLS over 6 bother your husband and the reason you gave up the magazine you miss, but "same gender marriages, fertility preservation, and other controversial topics" that bothered you or you didn't want your kids to see, you'd just skip or tear out those pages, not worthy of giving up the subscription.
Sad.

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:30 pm
chestnut wrote:
Phew, so it IS women's pics. I was wondering if it's something serious.
Can you reread your post and see how it sounds? "Realistic illustrations of real ppl" (not even photos, drawings!), advertisements with GIRLS over 6 bother your husband and the reason you gave up the magazine you miss, but "same gender marriages, fertility preservation, and other controversial topics" that bothered you or you didn't want your kids to see, you'd just skip or tear out those pages, not worthy of giving up the subscription.
Sad.

You seem to have skipped the last line, let me requote it: There are quite a few other points but this was the one people were discussing

chestnut

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:32 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
You seem to have skipped the last line, let me requote it: There are quite a few other points but this was the one people were discussing

No, I saw it. I can only comment on what you wrote, which is pics.

Last edited by chestnut on Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:35 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
Anyway, most of the magazines have the same exact ads (including those of girls over the age of 6).

Rav chaim specifically requested pictures of his wife in the book about her. But yeah all pictures are non jewish....

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:37 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
Since when is it in the jewish hashkafa to be cavalier about printing images of women where men will see them?

Since when is it against halacha to have illustrations of photos of women or tzniyus pictures? Are you going to start taking out women's names too? Should we refer to Rochel Imeinu at R Imeinu? When does this end?

Can anyone quote an actual halacha about women's pictures? Yeshivish people read the Jewish observer way back. We focus on these superficial stupidities and not the real halachos we break.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room