Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Lighting in frum homes (discovery during house-hunting)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 1:25 pm
I have a lot of secular and non Jewish friends and what people are saying about lighting is ridiculous.

I have never been to a home that doesn't have a chandelier over the dining table. Even old homes with not much overhead lighting setups have that.

What is true is that older homes do not have much in terms of over head right. I grew up in an older home in Brooklyn and there were no overhead lights except in the formal living room and dining room.

Even older homes - unless very old - generally have a place in each bedroom to put an overhead light so that it can be turned on when people enter the room. Often people use that for a combination light and overhead fan.

With older homes it is not easy or cheap to add canned lights because the electrical wiring is old AND also because the ceilings are plaster which is harder and more expensive to repair.

I don't know about lamps because many people use them because they are a pretty decorative element.

Also people use them for task lighting as well.

Generally people add canned lights (non Jews as well Very Happy) when the renovate or right before they move in because they are going to be painting so repairing the ceiling isn't that expensive.

But often people don't want bright lighting all the time anyway - people add dimmers to their lighting specifically so that they can have mood lighting.

ETA Sometimes I think some of the comments on non frum people must be from people who actually don't interact with many typical - I.e "normal" non-frum people and they either get their information from weird stories or extrapolate from one interaction. I suspect people who interact with nonfrum people on a regular basis don't have these kinds of strange stereotypes.

Simple1

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 1:33 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
I know. And I don't only mean the colors, it's this shiny glam sterile look.

That’s not a Jewish thing at all. Many many frum homes have a darker traditional European look with dark wood furniture, floors etc. The sterile look is more of a modern style.

amother
Camellia

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 2:35 pm
I didn't read the whole thread.
Many non-Jewish people spend a lot of their free time in front of a screen so they want the room dim. Many Jewish people spend it in front of books so they want strong lighting.

amother
Camellia

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 2:36 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
I have a lot of secular and non Jewish friends and what people are saying about lighting is ridiculous.

I have never been to a home that doesn't have a chandelier over the dining table. Even old homes with not much overhead lighting setups have that.

YOu lost me here.
I've only once seen a home with a chandelier. I guess we move in very different circles. Why would a chandelier be so important?

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 2:58 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
YOu lost me here.
I've only once seen a home with a chandelier. I guess we move in very different circles. Why would a chandelier be so important?

Because how else would anyone light a dining room except with an overhead fixture.🤷‍♀️

You don’t typically have a lamp on the table. Even very old homes were wired for gas above the dining room table and the earliest electrical fixtures allowed even poor people to have a bulb above the kitchen table.

I have never been in a home that doesn’t have an overhead fixture above the dining room table. Because it is typically illuminating a larger area, it is generally some type of chandelier since thst is functional as well as also aesthetic since it is proportionate to the dining table size.🤷‍♀️

GLUE

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 3:26 pm
What about a ceiling fan?
That is what I see in most houses over the dining room table.

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 3:39 pm
GLUE wrote:

That’s not really what most frum people have.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 3:39 pm
GLUE wrote:

I have never seen a ceiling fan over a dining room table. Why would you want a fan blowing in food?

GLUE

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 3:41 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:

I must run in a different circle from you because that's what most people I know have.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 3:41 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:

That is not what most people have. 🤷‍♀️😂

A ceiling fan is most common in bedrooms or casual spaces as it helps circulate air so you dint need as much air conditioning. It is less common in living rooms because it isn’t viewed as elegant by most people.

Seems dysfunctional in a dining room where most people wouldn’t want a fan blowing directly above food.

amother
Camellia

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 3:42 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
Because how else would anyone light a dining room except with an overhead fixture.🤷‍♀️

You don’t typically have a lamp on the table. Even very old homes were wired for gas above the dining room table and the earliest electrical fixtures allowed even poor people to have a bulb above the kitchen table.

I have never been in a home that doesn’t have an overhead fixture above the dining room table. Because it is typically illuminating a larger area, it is generally some type of chandelier since thst is functional as well as also aesthetic since it is proportionate to the dining table size.🤷‍♀️

Um, regular overhead lighting?
Why a chandelier?
I have big round LED florescents. They may not be beautiful but they do the job.

GLUE

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 3:43 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
I have never seen a ceiling fan over a dining room table. Why would you want a fan blowing in food?

Never thought of that, I most always had a fan over the table it keeps the air moving in the summer and spring and hot days in the winter.
I have ceiling fans all over my house it helps keep the air conditioning down

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 3:43 pm
We have a ceiling fan in our dining room because that's what the house came with. Never was an issue blowing on our food, it's not that strong.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:37 pm
the first few apts we lived in, we had to add overhead lighting and it wasn't cheap. our first apt didn;t have a light in the bedroom at all, we were told - it's only for sleeping so you don't need light!

we also were admonished for not putting a chandalier over the dining room table so I got a small crystal $10 one that fit over a light bulb.

for the record we always had a dining room fan as part of the overhead light. it's just more comfortable that way.

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 7:45 pm
Yeah, dim lighting is supposed to be fancier, more romantic. I hate it. Same with simcha halls, the heimishe halls in NY are all brightly lit. I live OOT and the simcha halls here are all dark.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 1:09 am
amother Heather wrote:
I’m in my 40’s, grew up in the UK and now live in the US. This is something I remember clearly noticing as a young child. When I passed by non Jewish homes they looked so dark and dim. Whilst the Jewish homes in my neighborhood were all brightly lit..

In our family we say it’s because
ליהודים היתה אורה

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 3:34 am
GLUE wrote:
Never thought of that, I most always had a fan over the table it keeps the air moving in the summer and spring and hot days in the winter.
I have ceiling fans all over my house it helps keep the air conditioning down

Same here but I use free standing floor fans in the summer.

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 3:55 am
This theory doesn't seem to hold universally. I'm a convert and grew up in Europe among non Jews. Literally every house I've ever seen or lived in there had ceiling lights in all the rooms. Even old houses. Maybe with ugly channeling in that case, but they all had them and they were bright enough.
Maybe using side lamps and dim lighting is more of an American cultural thing What

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 9:16 am
amother Buttercup wrote:
This theory doesn't seem to hold universally. I'm a convert and grew up in Europe among non Jews. Literally every house I've ever seen or lived in there had ceiling lights in all the rooms. Even old houses. Maybe with ugly channeling in that case, but they all had them and they were bright enough.
Maybe using side lamps and dim lighting is more of an American cultural thing What

I think it is. I’m still on the side of the tv theory. Somewhere around the 1950’s when tv became a big thing you worked during the day and watched tv till bed. You ate your Swanson’s tv dinner on a tv tray table. You used the dining room once a year when the Thanksgiving turkey didn’t fit on the folding tray table. Overhead lights were a nuisance and the dark brown faux wood paneling on the walls added to the cozy darkness. The eerie tv glow lit up the dust mites that floated lazily above the overstuffed sofa and dad’s recliner. Those were the good old days when wars were fought far away in Southeast Asia and we had real presidents like JFK and Nixon. The semi darkness was as American as baseball (it used to be a big thing) and apple pie.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 9:56 am
GLUE wrote:
I must run in a different circle from you because that's what most people I know have.

A ceiling hanged fan with lightning over the dining room table?
Practical? Yes. Estetical? No. Tacky? Very.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating