Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
This is what weight loss shots have done
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 6:00 pm
Bleemee wrote:
How did pharma make people obese?
By creating the chemicals that allowed us to alter foods in ways that make them not aligned with our biology and actually addictive, or preservatives that allow for shelf stable foods devoid of nutrients.

By creating pesticides that mess with our microbiome big time.

By creating drugs [antibiotics, and others] that when used un- necessarily and excessively mess with our microbiome -> the gut brain axis -> the hunger satiety feedback loop, blood sugar regulation etc etc which are the root causes of obesity and metabolic disorders

There's more but the bottom line is the food industry is heavily tied to the pharmaceutical industry.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 6:11 pm
I don’t get it. Ozempic isn’t some magic drug. I know many people who were on it and lost weight only to regain it soon after getting off it. I also know people who weren’t losing substantial weight by just being on it, they had to diet as well. Ozempic gives you a kickstart, but it doesn’t do magic on its own, you still need to put in work.

I’m not advocating for it, or the reverse.

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 6:40 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
Her mother told that over when they were sitting shiva. That’s what the oncologist told them. Apparently they were seeing many cases at the time- 20 years later.

I'm so nervous now. Do you know the name of the drug? I've forgotten what one I took with my 16 year old but I was given it in Israel. I was very very sick with my first pregnancy in particular, and these drugs definitely helped a lot. When I was back in the UK for Pesach my doctor wouldn't prescribe them to me, he said I shouldn't be taking them! Ouch.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 7:07 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
I'm so nervous now. Do you know the name of the drug? I've forgotten what one I took with my 16 year old but I was given it in Israel. I was very very sick with my first pregnancy in particular, and these drugs definitely helped a lot. When I was back in the UK for Pesach my doctor wouldn't prescribe them to me, he said I shouldn't be taking them! Ouch.

This happened over 30 years ago. Hopefully by now they figured out how to do better research for anti nausea drugs.

tichellady

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:04 pm
One’s body size doesn’t have anything to do their moral integrity or their willpower. The sooner we realize this, the healthier we will all be.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:19 pm
Ozempic is not a magic drug.

It only works if you diet, exercise, and drink water.

The only benefit is that it helps you be able to do it easier.

For those people who need to lose 10 pounds, its not for you.

For those of us who have dieted their entire life and cant lose no matter how hard they try and need to lose over 50 lbs and are starting to be prediabetic its helpful.

Im so tired of people with zero understanding of obesity and genetics going on and on about side effects.

amother
Bluebell

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:23 pm
I have recently been prescribed Vyvanse (a stimulant) to help with binge eating disorder (and ADD). The first week or so my appetite disappeared. It was really cool, I had no desire to eat anything. Now I'm on it for about 3 weeks Nd unfortunately appetite returned but I think it can help with binge eating.

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
They say to me, why don't you just use the shots or you should use the shots or I remember having to diet it's so not worth it you should just use the shots. It's not a looking down it's like patronizing, like silly, you're working so hard for no reason, why don't you do what we're doing, it's so much smarter.

Honestly, these women sound like they’re in middle school. Why is a grown woman’s choice to diet (or not) any of anyone else’s business? Tell them to butt out.

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
For years weightloss was something people worked on and worked hard on. When you met someone who lost weight or was working on it there was a comraderie and respect for their efforts. Everyone knows how hard it is to eat healthy and exercise, some people were skinny without it but now weightloss has all become about the shots.

If you can afford it, get the magic shots, you can be skinny without changing your lifestyle or without any willpower or discipline. It's so tempting and there is hardly any pushback about them. I have not heard of a single doctor or nutritionist telling people not to take them. I've watched tens of people lose lots of weight and fast just by taking the shots and now any attempt to discuss weightless is met with just take the shots. The whole "fake" losing weight for health or just be healthy campaigning is gone. I guess it never really was about healthy lifestyle, it's actually all about the weight.

The diet industry is freaking out because they make money on people regaining their weight and claiming to be the solution but if everyone can just get meds for it, they aren't needed.

I feel like the biggest loser because I'm not taking the shots and I'm obese. I'm working on my habits and it's hard and very slow. I think I'm doing the right thing but I am met with zero support. Everyone is telling me, oh just take the shots. Some people who noticed I lost some weight even said, oh are you on the shots? Um no, I am working hard to change my lifestyle thank you very much. And then they tell me oh you can just get the shots, this doctor or that doctor would for sure prescribe it.

I am hesitant for three reasons:
1) it's extremely expensive, I cannot afford it on an ongoing basis.
2) I can't imagine there is no long term side affects.
3) I have a hard time letting go of the idea that healthy eating/exercising is what a body needs, not more drugs.

Am I crazy??????

Disclaimer: yes there are people who have tried everything to lose weight and their bodies don't lose the weight of people with serious diseases that losing weight will reverse. I am not referring to these exceptions. I am talking about every Yom d!ck and Harry on weightloss shots.

With you all the way.
I will never take those shots.
I'm killing myself to lose every pound - and most of the time I starve and exercise for nearly no loss at all. But still I will never take those shots. There are already reports of side effects. More to come for sure. And they are for life. Everyone I know who lost well on the shots - and yes, there are so many successes - gain when they go off, so they have to do maintenance shots forever. Hard pass for me, thanks.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:48 pm
My husbands two sisters, both parents, aunt and bil are on ozempic. They all lost a ton of weight. Personally I don’t think some of them look good. It becomes an addiction. Also, they count on being on it long term because they aren’t changing their eating habits. On the contrary, my husband weighed 269lb. He went on a diet with a nutritionist and a personal trainer. 10 months in and he lost 50lb. He eats a fraction of what he did in the past and changed his food choices completely.

His family does not stop making fun of his spelt sourdough challah and quinoa salad he eats. He doesn’t care and keeps going.

Now you tell me, which one do you think will last longer? Which one has less risks altogether?

giftedmom

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:06 pm
My automatic reaction to these ads is that there is some big drawback there. Every few years something pops up and offers magic cures. There is no magic cure in this world, and many new drugs have risky side effects.

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:08 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
This happened over 30 years ago. Hopefully by now they figured out how to do better research for anti nausea drugs.

My mother died of breast cancer and my OB told me it was because she took a ton of clomid to get pregnant with me. They now regulate it more.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:12 pm
I didn't read this whole thread but I must say that when someone says she would take the shot if not for the expense, I know she really doesn't need it.

If you are overweight enough that the fat is causing damage to your body, your insurance covers it and you pay a copay...and you do it because you HAVE to.

If you are jealous that "rich people" can buy the shot, you are probably just normally overweight and don't have a medical need to lose. You are vain.

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:20 pm
I personally find a huge part of successful weight loss is the journey to get there. Developing better eating habits along the way that you can hopefully keep for the long term. When you work really hard losing the weight there's a strong motivation to keep it off. If ppl take the shots without the journey and change in food lifestyle wat happens next? How do you keep the weight off? I don't believe the shots are long term...

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:33 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
I didn't read this whole thread but I must say that when someone says she would take the shot if not for the expense, I know she really doesn't need it.

If you are overweight enough that the fat is causing damage to your body, your insurance covers it and you pay a copay...and you do it because you HAVE to.

If you are jealous that "rich people" can buy the shot, you are probably just normally overweight and don't have a medical need to lose. You are vain.

Not necessarily. Some people are just stubborn. Many times it is the people who need help most (be it financial, mental, physical) are the most resistant because their problem becomes their identity.

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:41 pm
amother Electricblue wrote:
I personally find a huge part of successful weight loss is the journey to get there. Developing better eating habits along the way that you can hopefully keep for the long term. When you work really hard losing the weight there's a strong motivation to keep it off. If ppl take the shots without the journey and change in food lifestyle wat happens next? How do you keep the weight off? I don't believe the shots are long term...

I disagree. It’s harder to loose motivation when you are fighting so very hard against your body’s signals. It’s easier to make better choices when your hunger pangs are quieter.
My experience.

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:42 pm
If you are able to do it with diet and exercise, kol hakavod to you. It's definitely healthiest.

If not, well there are "side effects" to obesity as well.

amother
White

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:52 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
I find it ironic that so many people were anti COVID shot bc lack of long term studies but running to take weight loss shots even though there's no long term studies.

This. It's beyond ironic. It's hypocritical. It highlights the fact that it never really was about the long term effects, it was just jumping onto a political bandwagon.

amother
White

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:58 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
What I don't understand is this: Everyone's saying that it's risky to take Ozempic or similar because it's not been around long enough to see if it's safe. I get that, but although it's new on the market for weight loss, it's been used for Diabetics for a while. So either it's dangerous or not, but how can it be safe for one condition and not the other?

Because all the studies were focused on diabetics. The study design and analysis were done on one population. This is an off-label use and there isn't much data available from any long term studies for this purpose.

Some drugs work perfectly well for one condition, but can be harmful for other conditions. The safety data accumulated for diabetics does not carry over for weight loss purposes. God forbid, if someone gets harmed by ozempic and was taking it for weight loss, the pharmaceutical company cannot be held responsible. They cannot be sued or held liable in any way.

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 11:55 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
I'm with you.

I'm doing hardcore dieting the old fashioned way.
Have more than 100 lb to lose.

Are you me?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise