Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
This is what weight loss shots have done
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 2:27 pm
It's not about moral superiority, I'm not looking down on them they are looking at me like I'm the crazy one.
I have gained and lost 60 lbs a bunch of times in my life, I know that eating healthy is not easy at all! My point is that I thought we lose weight for health and the way we do that is treat our body in a healthy way, eating healthy and exercising. The whole shift to just take the shots is shocking to me and people's attitude to my choosing the old fashioned way is making me think maybe I'm being stupid.
Interesting about people needing to have a healthy lifestyle while on these shots. Of course I don't know everyone and I didn't poll any said group but the people I know taking it are not changing their lifestyle. They are just eating much less.

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 2:31 pm
So many misconceptions here.

We don’t look at someone who takes antidepressants as taking the easy way out. We understand there is something wrong with the brain signals. We also understand medication is not it’s not a cure but can help a person function and heal faster in therapy. If they could they would be happy without it.

Same situation with obesity.

Also these weight loss drugs have been used for many years for diabetes; it’s not new. The second the brand names are going to be approved for weight loss through insurance we will see it being pushed much more.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 2:38 pm
Losing weight is not a competition.

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 2:43 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
So many misconceptions here.

We don’t look at someone who takes antidepressants as taking the easy way out. We understand there is something wrong with the brain signals. We also understand medication is not it’s not a cure but can help a person function and heal faster in therapy. If they could they would be happy without it.

Same situation with obesity.

Also these weight loss drugs have been used for many years for diabetes; it’s not new. The second the brand names are going to be approved for weight loss through insurance we will see it being pushed much more.
It's not about taking the easy way out. It's about failing to address underlying causes. I look at psych meds the same way.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 2:47 pm
I tried the shots for 8 months
I lost 30 lbs. then they stopped working and I stopped losing.
The Dr said that I should take a break as we dont really know the side effects of taking them for so long... I kind of agree...
A month into the break I have gained 10 lbs.
This is just so embarrassing!
I just don't know what to do at this point.

spikta

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 3:03 pm
You're completely right, it never was about health. It was always about vanity, an obsession with externals and thinking that thin people are morally superior. I haaate it when people obsess over their weight to the point of disordered eating, and call it caring for their health. At least when people obsess over wealth they can't hide it behind false health pretenses.

That means though that loosing weight "the old fashioned way" doesn't make you better either, because loosing weight isn't a good or bad thing, any more than wearing high heels or wearing fashionable clothes. Chosing to make your body a certain size is a fashion preference. Some ways of doing that are easier and some are harder, some have unknown side effects, but none is better, because being thin is morally neutral.

If you're honestly doing it for your health, your prize is that you're healthier, and no one but your family and your Dr. should have an opinion on it. Just like no one but you and your dentist should care whether or not you floss.
If only...

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 3:10 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:
How do you know those shots caused her to have uterine cancer?

Not that I am pro these shots at all...just wondering how that was known

Assuming she's talking about DES, the link was proven and it was taken off the market. The tragedy is that it took a really really long time to figure it out because the pregnant mothers were not affected, it was their baby girls who bore the effects, and even that wasn't figured out until those girls were adults. At least with ozempic, doctors are being cautious and not giving it to pregnant or even nursing women.

mazal555

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 3:19 pm
Its messed up. Skinny doesn't equal healthy. I've seen so many people so sick from ozempic. And people lost 3 times as much weight from ashwaganda in studies. It's just that ashwaganda isn't patentable so not profitable

Keep doing what you're doing

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 3:26 pm
chestnut wrote:
I'd totally take the shots but am afraid of side effects and long term effects

What I don't understand is this: Everyone's saying that it's risky to take Ozempic or similar because it's not been around long enough to see if it's safe. I get that, but although it's new on the market for weight loss, it's been used for Diabetics for a while. So either it's dangerous or not, but how can it be safe for one condition and not the other?

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 3:39 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
What I don't understand is this: Everyone's saying that it's risky to take Ozempic or similar because it's not been around long enough to see if it's safe. I get that, but although it's new on the market for weight loss, it's been used for Diabetics for a while. So either it's dangerous or not, but how can it be safe for one condition and not the other?

It's risky for diabetics too, but the benefits of better controlled diabetes outweigh the risks of ozempic.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 3:43 pm
It’s like anything else in life. Your values vs other people’s values.

I value my health so I won’t do Botox because I read an article about someone who got paralyzed from it. I know it’s not common but I’d rather use moisturizer.

I value saving and investing so I spend my money on that instead of a new car or lease, or designer clothes.

I value spirituality so I learn every day even though many women may not.

I value honesty so I am in a profession that is an honest one. And so is dh.

I value my mental health so I don’t waste time on Instagram or TikTok.

I value my healthy so I work out and eat nutritious foods. I also value my body’s tastes so I eat some cookies and junk as well, somewhat in moderation.

I agree with you that exercise is necessary. And so is a healthful lifestyle especially if someone has risk for diabetes heart disease or cancer.

It doesnt mean ozempic is wrong. If your doctor thinks it could be beneficial, it may be worth looking into. Maybe insurance will cover it someday.

Maybe working with a HAES dietitian on insurance would be a good support for you.

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 3:57 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
It's risky for diabetics too, but the benefits of better controlled diabetes outweigh the risks.

So my question still remains. It's been around a while as a treatment for Diabetics, so we do know the side effects, correct?
What are the side effects Diabetics have experienced?

Surly if there were serious and dangerous side effects it wouldn't be prescribed for anyone wouldn't you think?

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 4:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
It's not about moral superiority, I'm not looking down on them they are looking at me like I'm the crazy one.

This is called projecting your insecurities on other people. I really doubt that the people who are using ozempic look down on people who choose to diet, and although you deny it, your tone does sound like you are trying to convince (us? yourself?) that the hard way is the superior way. You do you, I'll do me. No judgment, no superiority.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 4:12 pm
Ozempic was around way before it was used for weight loss.
Patients should be using it on book. For type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes. To help bring down their A1C. Not just to lose weight. That's just the nice side effect.
Does nobody remember the Ozempic ads from 4 years ago before it was used offbook? Ozempic to lower your A1C "And you may lose weight"
https://youtu.be/bzIBj90D3YA?s.....LxX3l
https://youtu.be/VziWnHqgVqA?s.....I3pEw

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 4:19 pm
As someone who is taking the shots let me tell u this is extremely hard!!! If I eat 3 small tiny meals a day I gain a lb. I need to work out 3plus hours a day to maintain… STOP JUDGING u have no idea how hard I have been trying for years…

Bleemee

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 4:20 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
Health is never achieved by putting more drugs in our bodies. This is just one more way pharma is pulling the wool over our eyes and they will surely have the last laugh.

Don't forget, they are the same industry that made us sick and obese in the first place.

How did pharma make people obese?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 4:44 pm
amother Seablue wrote:
This is called projecting your insecurities on other people. I really doubt that the people who are using ozempic look down on people who choose to diet, and although you deny it, your tone does sound like you are trying to convince (us? yourself?) that the hard way is the superior way. You do you, I'll do me. No judgment, no superiority.

They say to me, why don't you just use the shots or you should use the shots or I remember having to diet it's so not worth it you should just use the shots. It's not a looking down it's like patronizing, like silly, you're working so hard for no reason, why don't you do what we're doing, it's so much smarter.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 4:44 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
So my question still remains. It's been around a while as a treatment for Diabetics, so we do know the side effects, correct?
What are the side effects Diabetics have experienced?

Surly if there were serious and dangerous side effects it wouldn't be prescribed for anyone wouldn't you think?

That's not how it works. Lots of drugs that are routinely prescribed have potentially serious side effects and they still get prescribed plenty. And even as a diabetic treatment, it hasn't been around that long, certainly less than a decade (which is nothing in the world of long term studies). It is already known to come with risks of thyroid cancer an pancreatic issues. Not a HIGH risk, but it's been documented enough and it is in fact right there in the informational insert. I know diabetics who were not prescribed it because they had risk factors for thyroid cancer. I also know diabetics who don't take it because they control their diabetes just fine without it and there's no reason to take it. It's not some standard drug that every type 2 diabetic takes. You what else is a commonly prescribed drug that many diabetics take that also often helps with weight loss (though not nearly as dramatic as ozempic) that has been around for decades and we can confidently say is low risk? Metformin.

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 4:48 pm
I find it ironic that so many people were anti COVID shot bc lack of long term studies but running to take weight loss shots even though there's no long term studies.

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 4:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
They say to me, why don't you just use the shots or you should use the shots or I remember having to diet it's so not worth it you should just use the shots. It's not a looking down it's like patronizing, like silly, you're working so hard for no reason, why don't you do what we're doing, it's so much smarter.

I hear. Sounds like everyone is insecure about their personal choices. If you choose weight loss meds- make that decision 100%, then you won't have to project your guilt by trying to bring everyone on board. Vice versa for the hard dieters, don't put down or be guilted by those who choose meds. Like I said, you do you, I'll do me. Stand confident in whatever lifestyle choices you truly feel are right for you; everyone else is irrelevant.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise