Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Should I do camp mommy or will I have a nervous breakdown?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 2:51 pm
OP if money is not at all the object, register them for Day camp and if they need Mommy time or down time than 1x a week let them stay home separately and have fun with that child for a bit. They get the best of both.

Beingreal

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 2:56 pm
I've been doing Camp Mommy for the past 3 years, love it and doing it again this year.
There is something about the spontaneous about it and making the best memories.

Rappel

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 3:04 pm
I do it every chance I get

Schedule matters. That includes a quiet time in the middle of the day for everyone to reset.

But otherwise? We just rabble around. House projects, trips, messes and fun

benny

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 3:32 pm
We love mommy camp. Best quality time and memories.

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 3:39 pm
I don’t understand why you can’t do both? My kids camps end August 16th and they don’t start school until Labor Day! That’s 3 weeks off. We do mommy camp then.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 4:06 pm
Wow I love all the responses!!!!
It sounds so exciting I might just end up doing it;)

benny

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 5:22 pm
We've done it many summers. I would love to help with ideas and tips if you'd like!

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:01 pm
Living in Israel we have no choice but to do Mommy camp. I hate every minute of it. And I’m a sit on the floor to play with my kids type of mommy. I take them to the park every single week during the year.
But to be home with them for weeks on end is dreadful.
One tip, get a kiddie pool with pool toys, they will spend hours enjoying the water.

amother
Chambray

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:06 pm
amother Daylily wrote:
Living in Israel we have no choice but to do Mommy camp. I hate every minute of it. And I’m a sit on the floor to play with my kids type of mommy. I take them to the park every single week during the year.
One tip, get a kiddie pool with pool toys, they will spend hours enjoying the water.

Really? There are no camps?

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:16 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
Really? There are no camps?

Girls have a couple of weeks of government funded day camp (from 9-1)in July , but then are off till September 1st. So for about 6 weeks home all day. Boys are off from the start of the 3 weeks until Rosh Chodesh Elul, no camp. Sometimes from Rosh chodesh Elul, you can find a camp for little girls run by teenagers or kids in their house for a few shekels a day.
They don’t warn you about this before making Aliyah .

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:34 pm
amother Daylily wrote:

And I'm not the sit on the floor type and play and I love mommy camp. I'm not in Israel but I've done it for the whole summer...probably about 10 weeks since covid

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:37 pm
We do it and love it!

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:45 pm
I always try to do a few weeks of mommy camp in the summer, unfortunately, I can't take off the entire summer so my kids go to camp for a bit but mommy camp is my favorite time of year. There are hard times and sometimes I wonder why I bother, but at the end of the summer we have so many beautiful memories and I get to really enjoy my kids.

Some things I do that are helpful;
I choose trips that I also can enjoy. I don't like the library, but I love the zoo.
I treat myself like camp staff and buy myself special breakfast every so often or a drink from the vending machine when we're out.
I always pack myself lunch when I pack the kids
I learn what makes sense for my kids personalities and plan around that. Ex. I know my kids do better going out in the morning so I always plan that way.
I bought a bunch of cool craft kits and sensory toys for days that we do a smaller trip and then have a lot of time at home.
Household chores become activities. We make supper together, we do scavenger hunts in the supermarket, we have sock matching competitions etc

benny

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:53 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
I always try to do a few weeks of mommy camp in the summer, unfortunately, I can't take off the entire summer so my kids go to camp for a bit but mommy camp is my favorite time of year. There are hard times and sometimes I wonder why I bother, but at the end of the summer we have so many beautiful memories and I get to really enjoy my kids.

Some things I do that are helpful;
I choose trips that I also can enjoy. I don't like the library, but I love the zoo.
I treat myself like camp staff and buy myself special breakfast every so often or a drink from the vending machine when we're out.
I always pack myself lunch when I pack the kids
I learn what makes sense for my kids personalities and plan around that. Ex. I know my kids do better going out in the morning so I always plan that way.
I bought a bunch of cool craft kits and sensory toys for days that we do a smaller trip and then have a lot of time at home.
Household chores become activities. We make supper together, we do scavenger hunts in the supermarket, we have sock matching competitions etc

Yes! All this.
We also spend money on things we don't do all year. Since camp would cost so much more. We go out someplace every day. There's no sitting home climbing the walls. You must do things you enjoy. It's hard work but somehow feels like vacation at the same time! I love not having to be anywhere by a specific time. No rushing. Like we can all be in the grocery at 5 pm without thinking who's bus we need to be back for and all that. We dont have this kind of freedom to just be during the year. It's a completely different mindset.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:59 pm
My friend did it. They did an ‘around the world’ theme. Every day she made breakfast inspired or decorated by that specific location. She came up with crafts, activities and outings to go with the theme.

At the end of the summer she put together a photo book and ngl, I was almost envious looking through it. They made the best memories and it was at such a relaxed pace. What can be more beautiful than bonding with siblings and parents?

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:26 pm
Do you know other moms doing camp mommy? If so, that can be a huge help. You can do some trips together and you can take turns hosting each other so that you can get some alone time once in a while.

There's really no way of knowing how it will go. I've done it with some of my kids for some parts of the summer. Some years it worked well, some years I went insane.
Hatzlacha! And have fun!

teachkids

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 9:12 pm
I only survived because we paired up with another family with kids the same age. Most of the time we were together so I had adult company, but sometimes we split the kids by age and went different places and when needed one of us covered the others kids when there was a drs appt or something

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 9:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
I would love to do mommy camp with my kids 8,6, and 18 months. My only concern is that I won't have time for myself and then I'll go crazy, as I'm an introvert and I need lots of personal time. Also I work so hard throughout the year and the summer is my vacation. So on the one hand, my kids hate school and they would probably would love mommy camp, and on the other hand I also need my space. Is here a way to do mommy camp, give the kids a great summer, while also having time for myself?

My personal experience was that to do a really fun mommy camp, where you actually do lots of activities outside the house, ends up costing almost as much as camp anyhow. Better they should go be with other kids and you get some down time - at least most of the summer. Nice to do a mini-mommy camp for a week or two though. It's nice bonding time. But not worth doing all summer long. Just my opinion.

amother
Daisy

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 9:47 pm
I’m an introvert and need my alone time. My kids are NOT introverts. They thrive on constant action and people. I did try mommy camp several years, but in the end I gave up and sent them to camp. We had some nice times but both my kids and me were happier with sending to camp.

sweet

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 10:02 pm
It also makes a huge difference if your keeping home a 4 yr or a 9 yr old.
This summer iyh Im keeping home my 4 yr old and I also have a 1 yr old home, and they dont need major trips,
Theyre happy with playground, library local zoo, urban air..picking a snack in the grocery..

But 2 summers ago I had my then 9, 6 and 2 yr old home for 4 weeks, really more like 6 weeks and I really had to take them on trips, and keep them busy, and food out, I def didn't save $$ keeping them home..

But kids still talk about it they enjoyed it!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics