Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning up from Shabbos
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 11:45 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
I am one of those who can't relax until my house is clean motzaei Shabbos, so 98% of the time I tackle it first thing including putting everything away, washing dishes, clearing all spaces and I always end with mopping the floors, this gives me the headspace to start my new week properly. I never had cleaning help (couldn't afford it).

How I get myself to clean when I don't feel like it -
First, I sprlurge on an Audible subscription and call it my "cleaning lady", because believe me, the last thing I felt like doing was cleaning after Shabbos so at least I get to listen to a book a I work.
Also, my robot vaccume cleaner p purchased a few years ago has been a game changer! I declutter, it sweeps as I clear surfaces and move on to the next room, and by the time I an done, the floor in that room is ready to be washed.
My kids never used to help motsaei Shabbat, but now that I my sons have grown (one grown, two teens) they often each take a few chores upon themselves which helps a lot, but that is erratic so I don't expect it and I appreciate it when it does happen, more often than not these days.

On the 2% that I don't clean right away, I'll do a half- hearted cleaning the next day, start my workday late (I'm self employed) and sometimes will not have a properly washed floor for until mid week, which I hate... the thought of that is usually enough to get me up and cleaning.

So usually, I get the cleaning out of the way first and it is worth it!

Thank you for this response, it has been very helpful.

I don't like leaving the mess for Sunday, but I just couldn't get myself to clean up. Good tips here, thank you!

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 11:58 pm
My mess gets slowly cleaned up motzei, sunday, and cleaning lady comes Monday to finish the job.
Small apartment where open floor plan so couch/toys/table/island/kitchen are one big space and it’s a lot to clean. Wash/put dishes away, pick up toys, put away crock pot and hot plate, laundry, pick up in bathroom, feels like a lot for me and dh. So we do it in stages. If I have someone coming over Sunday it’s quite stressful.
Kudos to all who do it all sat night, too exhausting for us.

amother
Acacia

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 2:00 am
I do a thorough clean up after the meal (sweep entire first floor, take out trash, clear counters etc) so there isn't much cleanup to do besides dishes. If I find a mess of snacks etc in the afternoon I sweep up immediately.

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 3:41 am
amother DarkGray wrote:
Plain water doesn't clean anything. You need to use some sort of cleaning agent with the water.

I beg to differ, but adding a drop of dish detergent to your spray bottle of water, or if you love chemicals, spritzing some Fantastic is no more work than spritzing plain water, so there goes your excuse.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 6:06 am
My kids and husband usually do the deep cleaning after Shabbos. With everyone helping, it only takes about half an hour.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 7:03 am
All food is put away after the meals. I remove crumbs from challah board and wipe it down. Knife, salt and wine coasters are replaced in China cabinet. I get the dishwasher running immediately after Havdalah and unplug the plata. I clear the table of crumbs and bottles of seltzer and scout the living room for newspapers or books that need disposing or reshelving. I wipe up any spills on the kitchen counter or stove. Best purchase we ever made was putting in a Fleishig dishwasher. Before that, every Motzei Shabbos was a chore and I did not have helpers. I cook mostly in foil pans and only have a few serving pieces to wash if they don't fit in the dishwasher. After the dishwasher cycle finishes, I remove glasses (second best purchase I ever made were Williams Sonoma wine glasses and matching drinking glasses that are elegantly engraved glass AND dishwasher safe) and wait for the rest to cool down. Dishes and silverware are put away after. Dh takes the garbage out in the morning. The whole thing takes under an hour.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 7:09 am
amother OP wrote:
Am I the only one who absolutely does not want to clean up from Shabbos? That means sweeping and washing the floors, washing down the dining room table, washing dishes and cleaning the counters.

I loaded the dishwasher and waiting for my cleaning lady to come tomorrow to do everything else.

Am I the only one who feels this way? WHY? And if you don't mind, PLEASE tell me how you do it.

Can your family members help?
Thats how we get it all done right after shabbat

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 7:35 am
My cleaning lady comes Monday. I really have no patience to clean and am not good at it. We clean the playroom and dining room usually as the kids do that. Dh usually does kitchen basics and stacks dishes. Cleaning lady finishes Monday.

amother
Fern

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 8:42 am
I do my first floor completely motza shobbas.
Including washing floors, clean my downstairs bathroom,
On sunday morning, I take an hr after boys are at school and sweep upstairs, wipe down bathrooms, sort laundry to wash .
My 4 and 1 yr olds help" with that.

And bh house is reset.

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 8:56 am
We all pitch in but no one is mopping MS. Maybe sweeping. Maybe wiping down counters. We do load and run the dishwasher. Put all the shabbos items away. Tidy up generally. Kids put away toys that were taken out. The end.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 9:14 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Can your family members help?
Thats how we get it all done right after shabbat

Their helping is how we got here in the first place... if I were the one serving and cleaning up, it wouldn't look the way it does (I'm much neater than other family members).

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 9:16 am
amother Fern wrote:
I do my first floor completely motza shobbas.
Including washing floors, clean my downstairs bathroom,
On sunday morning, I take an hr after boys are at school and sweep upstairs, wipe down bathrooms, sort laundry to wash .
My 4 and 1 yr olds help" with that.

And bh house is reset.

Right, I know people do that, I was asking HOW they have the physical and emotional energy to do it. I simply don't have that.

I guess you don't mind doing it and don't feel resentful the way I do.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 9:36 am
amother OP wrote:
Their helping is how we got here in the first place... if I were the one serving and cleaning up, it wouldn't look the way it does (I'm much neater than other family members).

I dont understand. If they are helping then what is not getting done?
Maje shabbat clean up be something that MUST happen as soon as havdala is over. Why is thst not an option?

mizle10

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 1:03 pm
I think most people hate it. It's just better than the alternative of letting it sit and waking up to mess that I need to clean up on Sunday.

amother
Lightgray

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 2:50 pm
I hate it. After many years, I decided that motzei shabbos is my night off from housework. My husband sometimes does some stuff, and no cleaning lady, but nothing bad will happen if the mess waits until Sunday. I am much happier this way, I recommend it Laugh

mra01385

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 5:34 pm
I agree with light gray
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry