Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Do you have any low fat side dish recipes to share?
Previous  1  2

Tamiri

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 9:59 am
greeneyes wrote:
My DH was recently told by his doctor that he needs to limit his fat and cholesterol intake right now. So although I always tried to cook healthfully, now I really have to focus on being even more health conscious, and especially to cut back on fat.

I find thinking of creative shabbos meals to be difficult though, particularly when we have guests. If you open up any cookbook, most of the recipes are full of oil, margarine, sugar etc. I do have a couple of lower fat cookbooks, which I have been using, but I'm still looking for more ideas. I find coming up with side dish ideas to be the trickiest part. Do you have any low fat side dish recipes or ideas to share?

Thanks!!

Even though I can stand to lose more than a few lbs, the rest of my family is tres thin so I don't have to think too hard. I do cook healthy and have a few rules:
(1) No margarine in the house. We've been doing it for about 3 years now and I've had to discard some old tried and true recipes, but that's the way it is.
(2) I use olive oil as much as I can, because if it has to be oil - at least it can be healthy and good for you
(3) I have always bought tons of vegetables and make up recipes as I go along. Don't be afraid to experiment.
(4) Use spices liberally
(5) I have a lot of legume recipes, which take the place of meat and fish if need be.
(6) Try and have your husband eat veggies with meat or veggies with starch, but not meat and starch at the same meal. Studies are showing that a simple step such as that can reduce cholesterol. I don't know if MDs are up to that yet - I was told so by a holistic practitioner.
(7) Reduce the amount of processed foods he eats as much as possible.
(8) Get some cookbooks to get you started. I liked Dr. Dean Ornish and Sarah Shlesinger (got them in the library back in the day). Suzanne Sommers had a few good ones too.
(9) Exercise, exercise exercise, but you knew that.
(10) Will you come be my wife and take care of me too LOL ?

Hatzlacha, to your husband's good health and longvity!

greeneyes

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 10:11 am
#10- LOL

Thanks for all the tips, Tamiri. Smile

sbs

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 1:48 pm
I also cook very healthy and I make healthy kugels for shabbos.

potato kugel

6 potatoes
2 zucchini
3 eggs or 2 eggs + 2 whites
salt and pepper to taste
I spray the pan with pam and use no oil in the recipe, the zucchini makes it moist

brocolli kugel
chopped broccoli, defrosted
a few spoonfuls of low fat mayonnaise
onion soup mix (msg free)
wheat germ to hold it together, or sprinkle it on top

apple cobbler
slice apples, add other fruit, cranberries, blueberries, plums, etc..
w/w flour, oatmeal, splenda, add in a few tbsps. of oil till it's a little crumbly, and put on top of the fruit.

you can make a lukshen kugel using spaghetti squash instead of regular lukshen.

I make grilled veggies, tons of fresh salads, green beans with garlic, cauliflower popcorn, etc...
for shabbos day I make a big salad with chunks of turkey and pine nuts and a honey mustard dressing.

knishes

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 10:08 pm
Ok I think this one is quite healthy...

Cooked Cabbage - quick and easy!
Dice up 1 onion - fry in a pot with alittle oil till browned / caremelized
Add in roughly chopped cabbage, I use white, you can use red tho...
Sautee for afew mins - add maybe 1/2 cup boiling water, a soup cube, black pepper
and cook on low flame for abotu ten mins...
Great as a side dish for during the week or for friday ngiht served hot...

greeneyes

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 9:12 am
Sbs, thanks so very for all the great ideas. These are just the kinds of things I'm looking for, so thanks for typing all that up.

And, knishes, thanks for your recipe too! Very Happy

NativeMom

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 10:41 pm
This is actually a weight watchers trick:

boil string beans in water for a few minutes (make sure they don't overcook!)
drain water
add onion soup mix ( I use goodmans onion soup mix, it seems to be the best)
cover and let sit for a few min
mix and its ready to serve!
you can even sprinkle some french's friend onions on top

flowerpower

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 10:49 pm
I learnt to make my own recipes using tasty stuff like spices, ww flour-to fluff it up, and egg whites. I am not a fan of splenda bec. I feel the unhealthiness in it-a little is fine.

One of my favorites are saute onion, add a few cut up squash, mushroom,some cut up eggplant, cut up 1 tomatoe, small tomato sauce, salt, black pepper, drop sugar or splenda-keep on low-medium flame for like a half hour.

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 10:52 pm
yum, flowerpower!

I make something similar. I put a drop of oil on the bottom of a pot (sometimes skip the oil altogether). cut up an onion, add zucchini and garlic and a can of tomato sauce. delicious!

greeneyes

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 9:01 am
Thanks for all the ideas!

I made roasted vegetables 2 weeks ago and DH liked them so much, I made them again this past week.

I sliced up lots of:
fresh mushrooms
yellow, orange, green peppers
tomatoes
red onion
zuchinni
eggplant (I salted the eggplant first)

Flavored the veggies with salt, pepper, lemon juice, basil, and a drop of oil, and roasted at 450 degrees for about 1/2 an hour. Delicious.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus