Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Taking pictures of frum jews at vacation destinations
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 5:32 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
A influencer recently posted a video with a baby crying in a doona and you could see a bit of the mother, maybe just her skirt. The baby was crying in a restaurant and the influencer was furious at the mother for bringing her baby to a restaurant.

I was so turned off, I immediately unfollowed her after following her for several years. How disgusting to post a video of someone’s baby to shame them! Such an abuse of her large follower count to use it to shame a mother who went to a restaurant with her baby while on vacation. It’s barely possible to hire a babysitter when you’re on vacation. Are nursing mothers not allowed in restaurants? Besides the mother was rocking the doona and you could tell she was stressed and felt bad.

Omg this! What a horrible thing to do exceptionally as she so values her privacy by not showing her face. What about other people's privacy?

amother
Impatiens

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 12:11 am
lol you people are surprised at influencer's actions? Influencers are the lowest of the low

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 1:16 am
amother Grape wrote:
You’re in public, anyone can take a picture of you without your permission. If you have a problem with it, stay inside.

This is a strange perspective. If I'm taking a walk, you think it's appropriate for someone to just snap a picture of me and post it on social media? And anyone who has any ounce of privacy should never leave their home?

That's really just absurd.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 1:23 am
amother Tealblue wrote:
Yes, I have a problem with this.
There are laws in my country but for me as a Jewish woman there are also Torah laws.
If a random non Jew takes a picture of me and posts it on social media, I have a problem with that but I realize I don’t have a right to ask them not to do that.
Op is on imamother. We’re supposed to be frum women here. She has every right to tell us we shouldn’t do this and I’m glad she did.

This!

Growing

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:07 am
oh
there were people who thought this isn't horrible? and low class? and just wrong on every level?

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:16 am
Are there laws about this in US, UK?

I always wondered.
But I admit, It does feel pretty awful to be taken pictures of.

Plus, when Its a guy taking oics of a woman, all of a sudden everyone is up in arms.

DVOM

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:44 am
Yet another reason to vacation in private, boring, out-of-the-way locations!

I agree that photographing strangers and posting it on Instagram is not classy, but I can't find any passion or outrage in me about it.

Us humans are so self conscious. But really, people will look at a picture of a stranger on SM for a fraction of a second and then move on. No one is focusing on it or thinking about it or analyzing it.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:45 am
FYI there are cameras all over on the streets
Pretty soon there will be a way for watching people live anywhere, like google maps live, so no matter where you go people can watch you!
Maybe People will have to behave! They will always be on camera!

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:48 am
I'm on a whatsapp group where someone posted a picture of a girl wearing a skirt with the tag still on it. Disgusting behavior.

What OP is talking about is people who are on vacation and get all "excited" to see another frum Jew. But instead of smiling or saying hi like a normal person, they take a picture and send it to their friends or post on social media. To them it's like shouting "cow" when on a road trip. Absolutely no thought of proper behavior or another person's feelings. It's legal, so they feel like they are entitled to it.

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:52 am
amother Black wrote:
Pretty soon there will be a way for watching people live anywhere, like google maps live, so no matter where you go people can watch you!

Or maybe people will revolt against living in a surveillance state.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 7:11 am
DrMom wrote:

What about other countries?!
Lol let’s start with boro park, I don’t stop reading about the housing crisis here. The young couples don’t have where to live!
This should really be another thread!

amother
PlumPink

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 7:23 am
amother OP wrote:
A frum Instagramer with a very large number of followers, once posted a picture of a women standing in line in a crowded store & she was nursing her baby. Why would someone do that.
I pity that women.

lol! I wonder if this was a photo of me. I do this everywhere. I wouldn’t be embarrassed though 😀

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:50 am
amother Black wrote:

Cameras on streets are rather impersonal and are there for safety, not for other people's entertainment.

Totally different than someone actively taking a picture of you for their own amusement and posting it on the internet for all to see.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:54 am
allthingsblue wrote:
If the liberties are within Halacha I don’t see the problem

Sure I get the need for privacy and value my privacy (and vacation in private areas) but I wouldn’t get so worked up over a picture

(If they’re not within Halacha they shouldn’t have done that in the first place )

And therefore it’s ok to make public a picture of them doing something wrong?

Golde

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:55 am
I agree it's rude to take someone's picture and post it on social media without asking first. But this would be equally rude to everyone, frum or not. I see no need to differenciate between frum and not frum here. We shouldn't be doing this to anyone.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:56 am
amother Grape wrote:
You’re in public, anyone can take a picture of you without your permission. If you have a problem with it, stay inside.

I don’t necessarily have a problem with people taking a picture of me, but I would for sure have a problem with them making that picture public.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:01 am
DrMom wrote:

I don't mind cameras surveilling me on the street because I don't do anything in public that shouldn't be recorded - it's public and most people have public and private behavior.

I think the proliferation of CCTV is great because it protects society by making things safer. Crimes have been solved using CCTV or even Ring cameras on private homes.

My building has an extensive system of CCTV in all common areas and there has never been any kind of incident. Everything is recorded and viewed on multiple monitors by the doorman. It is all recorded in the event it is needed.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:03 am
amother Wheat wrote:
If I remember the picture correctly it was a regular doona with maybe the mother’s foot or hand in it. Zero identifying features. At all.

Was the baby’s face blurred? Because that’s pretty identifying. And maybe she had something identifying on the stroller. And even if she didn’t, what’s the point? How is that not the epitome of embarrassing the mom? Maybe someone would recognize her shoes or jewelry or nail polish?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:05 am
amother Seablue wrote:
There’s an instagram called jewsonvacation that does this. Page hasn’t been updated in forever and it is very voyeuristic, but completely legal to take pictures of ppl in public.

Legal doesn’t make it ok.

amother
Latte

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:22 am
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Omg this! What a horrible thing to do exceptionally as she so values her privacy by not showing her face. What about other people's privacy?

This is the part I find most ironic. Not just this particular incident. But in the past I've seen her filming places she goes being careful not to show her face but everyone else's face is showing! So you don't want your face on Instagram but everyone else's is ok? Make it make sense.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette