Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Chasidishe instagram using secular songs with curse words?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:05 pm
I grew up very chassidish (satmar) and my mother constantly used to say b*tch. I didn't learn till yrs later than it's not an appropriate word to use.
My parents also threw around 'darn' all the time. While they know what it means, I don't think they really realized how harsh these words are.

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:07 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
I And DH was once horrified and amused when he heard a respectable Hebrew and Yiddish speaking Israeli rav repeatedly use the word “bullsh!t” in a speech without realizing that it’s a bad word.

Yes I'm not sure why Israelis use that and the f word so liberally

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:08 pm
amother Winterberry wrote:
I grew up very chassidish (satmar) and my mother constantly used to say b*tch. I didn't learn till yrs later than it's not an appropriate word to use.
My parents also threw around 'darn' all the time. While they know what it means, I don't think they really realized how harsh these words are.

Darn is not vulgar or offensive

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:10 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
One of them do. I think I know who she’s talking about.

The person who you’re talking about, does her name and the other word in her account start with the same letter?

Delete

amother
Steelblue

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:11 pm
amother Linen wrote:
The word 'kish/kush' in Yiddish (Hungarian?) means familial-type kiss, too, and one can use that instead... not the point. I'm not trying to split hairs here, just providing cultural background and ed.

Exactly I only know kish/kush.

YounginBP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:11 pm
amother Linen wrote:
Have you ever heard a chassidish mom saying to kid, "I'm gonna give you a p****!"
She means she's gonna kiss the kid, I don't believe she's aware of the other usage of the word. Lots of such examples....

I'm laughing as I post this- I previewed this submission and the 'p' word got asterisked automatically. So there.

No. I have not.

amother
Steelblue

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:13 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
I don’t want to be too specific - but is the letter T? If so, I agree she doesn’t seem aware.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:27 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
Yes.

I always felt like I was a horrible person for thinking there was something “off” with her, like I was being judgemental. But I see other women agree.

It makes me sad that she is unaware people may be laughing at her, or judging the things she posts.

YounginBP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:29 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
Edited.

#notnice steelblue and brunette, please delete

Last edited by YounginBP on Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:33 pm
YounginBP wrote:
#notnice steelblue and brunette, please delete

No malice was intended but I will delete

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:34 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
Quite so. Darn, dang, drat, doggone, dadgum, dadblasted, dadblamed, durnburned, tarnation, Sam Hill, schreck and the like, are euphemistic and sometimes humorous substitutes for vulgar terms. Refined they are not, but neither are they offensive. They're the sort of thing your Great-aunt Matilda would have said when the provocation was too much to endure in silence.

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:35 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:

I think imamother switched it. I meant d*mn.

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:36 pm
amother Winterberry wrote:

It is if you're referring to a female canine.

YounginBP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:40 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
No malice was intended but I will delete

Giving hints to her username is what bothered me

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:41 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
This has come up before, but in German (and therefore in Yiddish) Bussi (pronounced like pvssy) means kiss (and specifically a non-romantic type kiss like you would give your kid or grandmother or whatever). I also used to say it because our family has background in one of those languages.
That said once I moved to America I stopped saying it to my kids because I realized it sounds bad.

Aha! That explains the
English word "buss" for that type of kiss.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:42 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
I always felt like I was a horrible person for thinking there was something “off” with her, like I was being judgemental. But I see other women agree.

It makes me sad that she is unaware people may be laughing at her, or judging the things she posts.

She is such an innocent sweet women. She lacks of bit of social awareness, but she doesn't mean harm. She's really sweet & innocent. She has grown a back bone with time & knows how to respond to rude messages.

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:44 pm
YounginBP wrote:
Giving hints to her username is what bothered me

Yes this hinting is really not ok. I personally think embarrassing a woman in public is much worse than any vulgar cursing..

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:45 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
She is such an innocent sweet women. She lacks of bit of social awareness, but she doesn't mean harm. She's really sweet & innocent. She has grown a back bone with time & knows how to respond to rude messages.

Just stop.
Continue on your private friends chat if you want.
There’s no excuse for publicly shaming someone.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:47 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
there aren't many chassidishe instagram accounts. the few that there are- literally none show their face, and the one that does doesnt use secular music.

there is only one that does both unfortunately and she looks unaware of many things, not only music.

I know more than one chassidish influencer that shows her face & uses non jewish music. And those are social aware women that know better.

amother
Clover

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:52 pm
amother Linen wrote:
Have you ever heard a chassidish mom saying to kid, "I'm gonna give you a p****!"
She means she's gonna kiss the kid, I don't believe she's aware of the other usage of the word. Lots of such examples....

I'm laughing as I post this- I previewed this submission and the 'p' word got asterisked automatically. So there.

Yes this is quite a common word among Yiddish speaking people it’s terrible how it got a double meaning and is cringe worthy now.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics