Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Don’t like my child’s name
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 3:39 pm
Odelyah wrote:
OP sending hugs--I read your other post and you are so brave to have this baby. Hashem should give you strength and health and only simcha!! As far as the name, if you like the sound of Shmuel better than Chaim, I recommend getting everyone on board with calling him just Shmuel, and then you can call him Sammy as a cute nickname if you want. You can tell your daughter people have all kinds of cute nicknames but no one else needs to call him that unless they want to, and he can be Shmuel in school, etc. Also I have a Shmuel, and I don't love how it sounds the way most Ashkenazim say it, pretty much as one syllable (Shmul) but we say it Shmoo el and it sounds nice (at least to me Smile )

Thank you 💕
I like your idea

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 8:21 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
OP was looking for advice and support over her child's name not the amount of children she has that wasn't the point of the thread. I was just pointing out her wording. I am sorry if I caused OP pain but I still stand by what I said. Why is it only? Its 2 whole worlds that hashem has given you.

I'm so sorry for the hurt my comment may have caused. It's true.. Children are entire worlds!

Wishing OP lots of nachas and strength!

amother
NeonPink

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 9:43 pm
Odelyah wrote:
OP sending hugs--I read your other post and you are so brave to have this baby. Hashem should give you strength and health and only simcha!! As far as the name, if you like the sound of Shmuel better than Chaim, I recommend getting everyone on board with calling him just Shmuel, and then you can call him Sammy as a cute nickname if you want. You can tell your daughter people have all kinds of cute nicknames but no one else needs to call him that unless they want to, and he can be Shmuel in school, etc. Also I have a Shmuel, and I don't love how it sounds the way most Ashkenazim say it, pretty much as one syllable (Shmul) but we say it Shmoo el and it sounds nice (at least to me Smile )

What other post?

amother
NeonPink

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 9:45 pm
amother Honey wrote:
Eitan means long-lived. Chaim means life.

Eitan means strong.

amother
Marigold

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 9:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
What do you all think of Charlie as a nickname to Chaim assuming my daughter is ok with it

No, it’s so non jewish sounding, why do you want that for your son? Are you specifically looking for a name that doesn’t sound religious? It seems like you’re choosing random secular names. It also seems like your name issues have to do with something else, not the actual name which we all think is fine.
If you’re in therapy maybe discuss it, you’d be surprised what random stuff hides behind our thoughts and feelings. (I’m in therapy and constantly surprised at what’s truly driving me in different scenarios.)

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
What do you all think of Charlie as a nickname to Chaim assuming my daughter is ok with it

You need to be ok with it not your daughter. She doesn’t need to have a say on a nickname. My bil has a nickname that everyone calls him except his dad and sisters.

Odelyah

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you 💕
I like your idea

Yay! so happy Heart

Odelyah

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:10 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:
What other post?

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....46851

amother
NeonPink

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:15 pm
Odelyah wrote:
https://www.imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546851

Tx.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 3:11 am
The problem with Sammy or Sam is that you live in Lakewood, that will effect your dd and dh, so it comes at a price. Otherwise I'd say use it and be happy. So asking a Rav isn't a bad idea. But it definitely isn't too late to stick.

I just wonder if there isn't a more creative nickname that would be more peace making. Can't think of more right now but will try.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 6:16 am
amother Marigold wrote:
No, it’s so non jewish sounding, why do you want that for your son? Are you specifically looking for a name that doesn’t sound religious? It seems like you’re choosing random secular names. It also seems like your name issues have to do with something else, not the actual name which we all think is fine.
If you’re in therapy maybe discuss it, you’d be surprised what random stuff hides behind our thoughts and feelings. (I’m in therapy and constantly surprised at what’s truly driving me in different scenarios.)

It’s actually not that at all I love classic Jewish names that are soft sounding like eliyahu or yehoshua, Chaim Shmuel doesn’t doesn’t have that for me
I don’t want a secular name, but Charlie and Sammy everyone would assume are cute nicknames for a Jewish name.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 7:43 am
I know someone Chaim Shmuel. He finished shas before his wedding and gives shiurim now after marriage. He goes by Shmiely.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 7:49 am
amother OP wrote:
It’s actually not that at all I love classic Jewish names that are soft sounding like eliyahu or yehoshua, Chaim Shmuel doesn’t doesn’t have that for me
I don’t want a secular name, but Charlie and Sammy everyone would assume are cute nicknames for a Jewish name.

So call him eli as a nickname for shmuel.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 7:53 am
amother Taupe wrote:
OP was looking for advice and support over her child's name not the amount of children she has that wasn't the point of the thread. I was just pointing out her wording. I am sorry if I caused OP pain but I still stand by what I said. Why is it only? It’s 2 whole worlds that hashem has given you.

I’m curious how many kids you have with your preachy attitude?

rachelbg

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 7:56 am
Someone suggested Eli up-thread. That’s sounds nice and soft, and can pass as a nickname 100%.

What about Shai? That’s stunning and soft.
It’s a mashup of Shmuel Chaim/Chaim Shmuel.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names