Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Adel and Liel
Previous  1  2

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 9:08 am
lostprincess wrote:
Adele, Udel, Odel are all the same name spelled אדל in Hebrew. It's only a question of pronunciation depending on your community. It is NOT a secular name. As mentioned the Baal Shem Tov gave his daughter this name by combining the rashei tevot of אש דת למו. Happens to be the secular world adopted this name with the Adele pronunciation just like they adopted other Jewish names.

You are referring to Udel (pronounced Uh-dle if you are Litvish and Ooh-dle if you are Chassidish).

OP is referring to the secular name Adele (pronounced Ah-dell).

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 9:12 am
amother Watermelon wrote:
This is a total side note and irrelevant to the OP's question.

I'm responding to some posts about Sefardi names.

I'm not sure about the exact type of Sefardim being referred to here, but in Morocco the Yidden spoke Ladino, which is the equivalent of the Ashkenazim's Yiddish. There are names used that you may assume are not Jewish, but actually are Sefardi mesorah. For example, Luna is a Jewish name in the Sefardi world. The same way Faigy or Perel are Jewish names in the Ashkenaz world. Neither Yiddish or Ladino are Lashon Hakodesh. They are a Jewish version of the language of the host country.

Just an important thing to keep in mind when discussing different cultures.

True. Not sure if it refers to this particular name (and anyone out there with more info please correct me if I am wrong), but I agree with that in general.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 1:40 pm
Thank you everyone!!!! This has been so so helpful.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 1:44 pm
amother Watermelon wrote:
This is a total side note and irrelevant to the OP's question.

I'm responding to some posts about Sefardi names.

I'm not sure about the exact type of Sefardim being referred to here, but in Morocco the Yidden spoke Ladino, which is the equivalent of the Ashkenazim's Yiddish. There are names used that you may assume are not Jewish, but actually are Sefardi mesorah. For example, Luna is a Jewish name in the Sefardi world. The same way Faigy or Perel are Jewish names in the Ashkenaz world. Neither Yiddish or Ladino are Lashon Hakodesh. They are a Jewish version of the language of the host country.

Just an important thing to keep in mind when discussing different cultures.

This was very interesting to read. Thank you for sharing.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 1:45 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
Adel’s source is the baal Shem tovs daughter. They pronounce it udel. But spell it the same אדל. I gave that name and I call her udi. In Israel adel is super common.

There are three names
Udel (UH-del)
Aidel (AY-del)
Adel (a-DELL)
I know the first comes from the Baal Shem tov’s daughter, I don’t know about the other two.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 1:53 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
There are three names
Udel (UH-del)
Aidel (AY-del)
Adel (a-DELL)
I know the first comes from the Baal Shem tov’s daughter, I don’t know about the other two.

Right. I was only asking about the third one- Adel (a-DELL). It was helpful to hear that the Baal Shem tov’s daughter was actually Udel- so it’s a different name.

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 3:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
Right. I was only asking about the third one- Adel (a-DELL). It was helpful to hear that the Baal Shem tov’s daughter was actually Udel- so it’s a different name.

The Baal shem tov's daughter's name was אדל. Yiddish speakers pronounce it Udel. Hebrew speakers pronounce it Adele (like the singer). Choice one and three are the same name.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 12:37 am
theoneandonly wrote:
The Baal shem tov's daughter's name was אדל. Yiddish speakers pronounce it Udel. Hebrew speakers pronounce it Adele (like the singer). Choice one and three are the same name.

Haha this isn’t getting confusing at alll….

Maybe this is what I should be asking….
The religious Jewish people who name and call their children Adel (with an “ah” sound not an ooh sound… ) what is their reason for it? To name after the Baal shemtov’s Daughter Because they like the way it sounds? Because it actually means something in Hebrew?

At this point I’m just curious.

essie14

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 12:58 am
amother OP wrote:

The religious Jewish people who name and call their children Adel (with an “ah” sound not an ooh sound… ) what is their reason for it? To name after the Baal shemtov’s Daughter Because they like the way it sounds? Because it actually means something in Hebrew?

I've never asked any of them but I'm assuming they either have a relative with that name or they just liked the name. In the DL circles in Israel people mostly give their children names that they like. Basically any Hebrew word can be a name. It doesn't need to have Biblical roots or a 'mesora'.
Flower names, for example, are extremely popular.

amother
Apple

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 8:34 am
amother OP wrote:

They are named after a relative or they like the name.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Fri, Feb 02 2024, 8:44 am
What makes a Yiddish word a Jewish name? Just the fact that it's a Yiddish word? I don't see a Hebrew word as any different.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names