Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
You know those prize brochures
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Apple

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:41 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
I prefer that they don't exist at all. Don't turn kids into fundraisers. It's not age appropriate.
Often parents end up having to give the money so the kid can get a prize because they don't want their kid collecting.

This.
Why should kids be collecting money for your cause?

You want them to learn to give tzedaka? Let them give maser form bday money, or just watch you give masser

It’s wrong on so so many levels

acemom

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:42 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
The kids definitely want the big stuff that their parents won't usually buy them. Segway, electronics, sound systems....
I don't let my kids do this. Purim they collect for their yeshiva and that's it. They know that I'll get them whatever they "need" but all the extras they can earn by working on a behavior or middah. And if we say no to something specific, then winning it won't help. It's not coming thru the door. We said no to electric scooters cuz it's just too dangerous to drive, especially in my neighborhood

Yes, this!

We don't want our kids to own segways, motor scooters etc. Not because we can't afford them. Winning in a raffle or getting as a prize or afikomen gift from grandparents won't change our mind.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
We do get 1000s of submissions a year

Yeah and did you ever ask the parents of those submissions how they feel?

SnowLeopard

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:47 pm
I am anti kids collecting money too.

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:51 pm
amother OP wrote:

Well, yes because you do spend hefty change on marketing to vulnerable kids. Not such a surprise. Parents are not happy about it. I don't want my kids owning half those prizes especially not as a reward for collecting tzedakah which should be an altruistic endeavor.

What started as a cute gimmick to motivate kids has truly gone out of hand.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:00 pm
OP, we all know it works because all our kids are badgering us to let them do it. But are you considering how many considerable adult donations you may be turning away in the process?
I personally can think of at least 3 organizations off the top of my head that I will not give to because of how aggressively they market to kids. Believe me, my donation would be a lot more substantial than the few hundred that my kid would spend a whole Purim collecting if I let him.

kenz

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:06 pm
We don’t allow it either. My husband always told my kids he would give them a small sum and that’s it. Aside from everything everyone else said, most of the kids on our block attend the same school, so we were all basically supposed to just fund our neighbors’ kids’ prizes. No thanks .

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:09 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:
Yeah and did you ever ask the parents of those submissions how they feel?

Exactly. Most parents despise it. I feel is inappropriate on so many levels. Are you asking the parents of you can pitch it to the kids, or are you bypassing the parents and relying on them to badger their parents to allow them to fundraise for the prize?

I am with the other parents. I don't donate to those organizations who exploit children. It is purely that - exploiting childrens to get them to fundraise for you.

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:11 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:

What started as a cute gimmick to motivate kids has truly gone out of hand.

My kids are no longer motivated. They have realized that the value of the prize isn't worth their effort. We don't have any rich family member that makes it an easy endeavor. The number of doors they need to knock, or the number of phone calls they need to make is an onerous task. They are no longer interested and no one is happier than me.

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
The ones that kids have to fundraise for Tzedaka and they get to choose what they’d like for it

What prizes do your kids go for ?
What would they love to see listed ?
What would you prefer they go for ?

Also curious to hear your thoughts about the topic in general but please answer the questions as well

Please stop exploiting the kids. If you want them to do tzedakah, then do it the appropriate way - for the mitzvah and not through bribery.

Focus on the adults. Manipulating adults to donate to kids prizes is not tzedakah. Its an underhand tactic preying on people's attitude towards kids.

At the very least, if you do it anyways, then focus on the effort, not the outcome. You can have a boy who earns $500 by placing one call to a rich uncle. And you can have a boy who knocked on 100 doors to collect the same amount. Who is more deserving of that segway?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:18 pm
We do require a parent’s signature so I thought they were ok with it

Never thought of the flip side - the parents being badgered etc

(My kids are young - haven’t gotten to that stage yet)

Am I to give up my job now ??

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:20 pm
amother OP wrote:

That doesn't mean it's the right thing or that the parents are happy about it. Many parents have to pick their battles and so they don't make a big deal out of it even thought they think it's horrible.

But you probably don't care about that

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:21 pm
amother OP wrote:

Lol just wait till your kids are old enough and you are on the other side...

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:23 pm
I also hate it. My kids look at all the prizes and want them. I don't want them going door to door. They beg all the relatives for money and don't get enough for a big prize at the end. When they have it in their school I end up giving them money so they get a prize. I feel like it turns my kids into shnorrors and it's terrible chinuch as well.

In addition, my son once collected over $500 and he never got his prize...

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:33 pm
I never let my kids go to people's houses. Like many of you, my kids asked their grandparents and I always gave some. In my mother's neighborhood, she had a convicted child molester a few blocks away. Every time a kid came to collect, she would asked them if they went to Mr. Child Molester's house. She would then call the parents and either yell at them for letting their kids go or call to warn them not to let their kid go to that house.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:44 pm
It’s terrible chinuch and I don’t allow my children to collect for prizes. And these are ridiculous over the top prizes that are being dangled in front of these kids.
If I’m totally honest with myself, I do judge the parents that allow or even encourage their kids to collect for these prize fundraisers.

amother
Begonia

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:50 pm
Add me to the haters too.
Exploiting kids. You tempt them with shiny brochures and entice them. You earn 1000s and give $10 prizes that break within a day. It can put kids in unsafe situations. Teaches bad middos and that we give to get a prize. And makes me less inclined to give. I can go on..

Fundraise from adults!

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:58 pm
Marketing to kids when the parents have to pay is disgusting in my opinion. It’s like a grocery store in my neighborhood that I installed a toy store at its entrance.

I get that you are allowed to do things to increase your revenue but when you get the kids involved it feels like you are crossing a line.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 8:07 pm
amother OP wrote:

Wow I never realized the people putting these together weren’t aware of how much the parents hate it. I just figured they did it anyway because it makes good money.
How do you feel about helping out on this project now that you’ve heard how much the parents hate it and our very valid reasons why?
The people who put this whole thing together HAVE to know. Do they really not???

amother
Snow

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 8:27 pm
I hate those booklets. Even if me and my husband contribute towards the cause, it's not enough for them to earn that glitzy prize. Ridiculous for my kids to call relatives and friends pressuring them for money.

Plus half the prizes in the booklets I would never want my kids to have. Somehow these booklets stride right into schools and camps that most prizes ate against policy or values. On mine and my kids cheshbon.

If there's an acceptable prize my kids are going crazy for, sometimes I just go on Amazon and order if myself. Better than making my kids shnorers.

We still give tzedakah, just not in this form, sometimes disclosing to our kids where our most recent donation was.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children