Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Traveling with twin babies
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:15 am
Best would be a double stroller that can click in 2 car seats. Maybe you can borrow for the trip?

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:30 am
amother OP wrote:
I would be with other adults.
Babies are approximately 5 months old.
Doona would be ok because we need it to get in and out of the cars. But it’s not really good because I can’t push 2, and it’s not really good for sleeping, and no basket.
Is it manageable?

When I traveled with my twins at this age, I either brought my double snap and go with the car seats, and when they got a bit bigger we brought a double stroller. No doonas, just borrowed car seats or rented from a car rental. There is a way to attach the doonas together , I believe with 2 or three cable ties, looks pretty cute. And you can just cut them off each time you want to “unattach” the doonas, and use new ones when you want to connect them again.
I didn’t splurge on 2 doonas so I never got to do this but I did look into it and seemed like a great option for travel. But I’m generally not a huge traveler , even before I had twins , so it wasn’t necessary.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:37 am
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
You can only have ONE lap baby per adult, so if you are traveling alone, you will need to buy at least one seat.

If one of the people you are traveling with is willing to hold the baby on his/her lap the whole time, THEY would need lap baby printed on THEIR ticket

Thanks for that!

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:57 am
amother Daffodil wrote:
Nope
And if you put it under the plane very good chance they’ll damage the doonas
You should get them seats and put the Doona on a seat for safety reasons

We put ours under the plane last minute- how would I know if it’s damaged?
And what if I’m not buying my baby a seat?

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 1:17 am
Doonas sound SO impractical for twins. I think you should get a double stroller that allows you to click the car seats in. So you have options when you arrive, and you can push both babies at once.
(The 2 car seats are too heavy to even carry empty, never mind with babies inside!)

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:12 am
Hi, I have twins! Very easy to push two doonas together- you get a reusable thick twist tie from amazon- plenty of people use them- have you ever tried it?
Also, you definitely cannot put doonas in the aisle of the plane lol- have you ever flown before?
If you'd like a double also I would say get a foldable travel double and check it in at baggage claim.

My best advice- get your twins seats so you can bring the doonas on the plane!

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:22 am
amother Maroon wrote:
Yes! Especially because many times there’s a limit of how many oxygen masks there are in a row and there might only be one lap child allowed per row.

This. Only 1 car seat or lap child per row. Car seat because they can only be placed in the window seat. & only 1 lap child because there is only 1 extra oxygen mask per row.

I started buying seats for infants, I find it really worthwhile. If there are 3 seats per row maybe get 1 seat for baby & the second one as a lap baby?

You can check in a double stroller with the luggage for free & gate check the doona if there's no room on the plane.

Definitely have at least 1 baby carrier.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:42 am
amother Heather wrote:
Best is to buy seats but if that’s not an option I’d suggest both adults wear a baby carrier so although you’re holding the baby, you’re hands free.
If you do this, you can fall asleep without worrying the baby will fall out of your arms.

We fly with a baby carrier. Much easier. How old are they again? If they are under 3-4 months they still sleep aton. It makes a difference.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 5:21 am
Yes, to the amother above- twins cannot be in the same row. They separate me and my husband to accomodate two babies. It's frustrating but it's protocol.

And to the amother and LovesHashem that travels with a baby carrier- I do that with my singles! but twins is like another league!! wow- how do you do that? I find that if my husband and I are each carrying a baby- it is almost impossible to take care of our other kids

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 6:47 am
amother Cadetblue wrote:
Yes, to the amother above- twins cannot be in the same row. They separate me and my husband to accomodate two babies. It's frustrating but it's protocol.

And to the amother and LovesHashem that travels with a baby carrier- I do that with my singles! but twins is like another league!! wow- how do you do that? I find that if my husband and I are each carrying a baby- it is almost impossible to take care of our other kids

My twins pre date doonas. But we flew several times as we are from oot.

As the quoted post says, only one lap baby per row, so you will need to seperate from dh. Even if you buy the baby seats we used to put one next to each of us. I alwayse had a baby carrier and wore my baby so I could be hands free.

We euther used a double snap n go or a double stroller that car seats click on. The strollers van be pushed right up to door of plane. The stroller gets gate checked there and car seats if not using on plane. You pick them right up when getting off plane and can use them right away.
If we were bringing car seats on plane we had to carry them to our seats. I had no problem carrying my car seat and baby, but if too heavy you can "wear" baby and carry empty car seat to seat, or car seat piled with your bags.

Practice at home how you will.each hold (I mean wear, please use a carrier) a baby and your stuff and get on plane as it can still be a walk to your seat amd wait until the aisle clears in front of you.

CHECK AS MUCH LUGGAGE AS YOU CAN!!!!

GETTING OFF. TRY TO BE LAST!!!!!

We found it much much much easier to drive, but flying was double, just intense.

Weve even flown night flights with toddler and preschool sibs of twins that had fallen asleep while waiting That I do not recommend. Bh other frum pple on flight helped us

Hotzlocha!

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 7:15 am
When I flew recently, in one of the directions the flight attendants didnt let me push the doona down the isle. They made me cary it. I was only dealing with one baby so I can't imagine how hard that would be with two.

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 8:37 am
amother Phlox wrote:
Best would be a double stroller that can click in 2 car seats. Maybe you can borrow for the trip?

Yes my friends with twins used the twin snap and go instead of two doonas. Seems a lot more practical.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 9:59 am
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
You can only have ONE lap baby per adult, so if you are traveling alone, you will need to buy at least one seat.

If one of the people you are traveling with is willing to hold the baby on his/her lap the whole time, THEY would need lap baby printed on THEIR ticket

This! Very important. Both babies need to be registered/have their name on tickets. And remember passport/birth certificate for both babies.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 10:05 am
amother OP wrote:
No, but I think they allow the doona in the aisle? Or am I dreaming?

Have you ever been on a plane?

I’m not trying to be mean and only half joking. Traveling with kids is difficult and easier if you’re a seasoned traveler. If you want to bring a car seat on the plane you have to pay for a seat. Otherwise you check it in. If you only have Doonas it’s gonna be pretty clutch to take those + a double but it’s a choice between having to deal with 2 Doonas once you’re at your destination.

It’s very different if yuu in re traveling to eretz Yisroel- long flight, usually stay there longer, so worth it! Then I would take the car seats and the double and deal with the hassle in the airport. If you can afford it I would buy one seat and bring one Doona along on the plane, if you can afford two then I would do that!!

Two days in Florida I would just do the Doonas. The flight is shorter so you can hold the kids and it’ll be fine.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 10:07 am
amother Snapdragon wrote:
When I flew recently, in one of the directions the flight attendants didnt let me push the doona down the isle. They made me cary it. I was only dealing with one baby so I can't imagine how hard that would be with two.

I have been on flights where they told ppl you have to carry it. It can not be pushed down. Some safety issue.

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 10:57 am
OP, what is your current car seat / stroller situation at home? What do you already own?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 9:24 am
amother Aconite wrote:
OP, what is your current car seat / stroller situation at home? What do you already own?

Thank you so much all for your response! I still don't know what to do.
I'm travelling a short flight with the twins.
I have 2 doonas and I have a valco slim.
My babies are 7 months old, and they are very happy in the doonas, but once we get there I would rather have a regular stroller which is way sturdier, better for sleeping, can handle bags etc.
But I definitely don't think it makes sense to take everything.
Am I better off just taking the valco and leaving the doonas?
Or should I not even risk ruining the valco?
Btw, the doonas are the immitation ones. Does that make a difference?
If I buy something new, what would you suggest?
If you think I should borrow, what would you suggest?

busy mommy

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 9:52 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you so much all for your response! I still don't know what to do.
I'm travelling a short flight with the twins.
I have 2 doonas and I have a valco slim.
My babies are 7 months old, and they are very happy in the doonas, but once we get there I would rather have a regular stroller which is way sturdier, better for sleeping, can handle bags etc.
But I definitely don't think it makes sense to take everything.
Am I better off just taking the valco and leaving the doonas?
Or should I not even risk ruining the valco?
Btw, the doonas are the immitation ones. Does that make a difference?
If I buy something new, what would you suggest?
If you think I should borrow, what would you suggest?

It all boils down to if you buy them seats or not. If you buy them their own seats then you need to take your doonas since I assume you don't plan on buying new carseats and they will not allow them in their own seats without car seats. If you are keeping them as lap children I definitely suggest taking baby carriers and leaving the doonas home. gate check the valco slim.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:29 am
busy mommy wrote:
It all boils down to if you buy them seats or not. If you buy them their own seats then you need to take your doonas since I assume you don't plan on buying new carseats and they will not allow them in their own seats without car seats. If you are keeping them as lap children I definitely suggest taking baby carriers and leaving the doonas home. gate check the valco slim.

Thanks ! So I called the airline and they offered me a bassinet! Great! So now the question is if traveling in general will the valco get ruined? Is it easier to take that or Doonas....

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:32 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks ! So I called the airline and they offered me a bassinet! Great! So now the question is if traveling in general will the valco get ruined? Is it easier to take that or Doonas....

I don't want to make you nervous but just so you are aware. I have reserved bassinets Many times and there were more than a couple times that it didn't pan out for some reason or another. Also they cannot be in the bassinet whenever the seat belt sign is on. You will have to hold them for takeoff, landing and any turbulence etc.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more