Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What're you reading these days?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

GLUE

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:09 am
The Jew is Not My Enemy: Unveiling the Myths that Fuel Muslim Anti-Semitism- Tarek Fatah

Written by a Pakistani Canadian

Coke Slurpee

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:28 am
Wanderer by Chuck Wendig
I'm really enjoying it! It's a mix of Sci fi and Apocalyptic end of the world action.

a2z

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 11:44 am
My avner gold series came yesterday and I'm holding by the 3rd book, The Year of the Sword.
Very much recommend this series for history fans.

GLUE

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 5:26 pm
Stories from Suffragette City

It's a bunch of short stories by different authors, that all take place on October 23, 1915 in NYC. That is when one of the largest Suffragette parades happened.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 9:34 am
amother OP wrote:
Now reading Rabbi Eitam Henkin's Studies in Halakhah and Rabbinic History.

Finished! Now starting Nishmat HaMishnah by Rav Yakov Nagen, a collection of brief essays on individual mishnayot or perakim of mishnayot. His book includes an essay on Taanis 4:8, about the maidens dancing on TubAv which Rabbi Henkin also had an essay about. Looking forward to comparing the two.

Also, I have abandoned the Donna Tartt novel entirely. I rarely do that with fiction but it's been lying around and I can't bring myself to ever pick it up.

a2z

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 10:23 am
a2z wrote:
My avner gold series came yesterday and I'm holding by the 3rd book, The Year of the Sword.

Finished
Ordered 2 new books should be coming by next week

GrowingUp

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:08 am
Strangers to Ourselves by Rachel Aviv

Fascinating but boring at the same time. It’s taking me longer to get through it then I though it would.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:20 am
a2z wrote:

I'm super excited about his latest project, Destiny

a2z

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:45 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
I'm super excited about his latest project, Destiny

Looking awesome

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 7:42 am
Adhd 2.0 - just started but so far I appreciate the research based update to stale old info.

Words on Fire - because DD got assigned it in school and I'm curious what they're reading. Only read first chapter but so far it's compelling. I've never seen mainstream historical fiction on this era before.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 7:45 am
icebreaker wrote:
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

It’s about the 1996 Mt. Everest disaster (for some reason, I’ve been reading and watching everything about Mt. Everest and other mountaineering disasters lately).

That's one if my all time favorites. All his books are pretty good but that one is a standout.

Right now I'm reading Shadow Divers by Robertt Kurson. It's excellent

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 7:54 am
Reclaiming Dignity
Finally got it!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 8:47 pm
Chayalle wrote:
LOL I'm kinda embarrassed to say...there was this book that was my absolute favorite book as a kid (like when I was 10) that was out of print for years....I just recently found it back in print, and ordered it on ebay.....and I'm enjoying it just as much as I did then! Some things don't change! It's interesting to read and enjoy something as an adult that you enjoyed as a child.

I recently read a series of books by Livia Bitton-Jackson about her experiences during and after the Holocaust - "I Have Lived a Thousand Years", "My Bridge of Hope", and "Hello, America". I found her experience and viewpoint interesting.

Please share the title

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 8:53 pm
Maybe you should talk to someone by Lori Gottlieb. It’s a fascinating real life therapy book.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 8:59 pm
The Boys from Biloxi
John Grisham

seeker

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 9:20 pm
I got tired of words on fire and skipped to the end. Nothing wrong with it, I just lost attention span.

Then I put aside ADHD 2.0 (not ironically at all) and started The Queen You Thought You Knew because of the seasonal relevance. I'd been wanting to read it for a while but never got around to it. So far so good, the pages turn easily so I think I'll make it through this one.

daagahminayin

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 9:26 pm
Just finished Romola by George Eliot… wish I had someone to talk to about it but I know that’s highly unlikely…

amother
Yarrow

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 9:26 pm
House of Eve by Sadequa Johnson. It was good.

sequoia

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 9:32 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
Just finished Romola by George Eliot… wish I had someone to talk to about it but I know that’s highly unlikely…

That’s amazing! Maybe I will read it.

bigsis144

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 9:35 pm
A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman (humans and dragons in a Renaissance-tech level society. The dragons abide by a treaty with humans, and are only allowed into human cities if they shapeshift into humanoid forms. I kept thinking “The dragons are Jewish!” - dragons are often scientists and scholars, more literate than the general masses. They can walk and work in the human areas of town, but live in designated ghettoes and are required to wear bells on their clothing so that no one mistakes them for human.)
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room