Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Asking about Israeli style tichels
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Success10

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 2:57 am
I don't wear a shaitel, so like 10 years ago when I still tried to compensate, I would try the up high stuffed look (I was too cheap for a bobo) and it really made me feel physically unbalanced (I'm short).

I nowadays just wear the flat triangular scarf tied in the back. It very common in chareidi areas. Chareidi Sfardi ladies wear more elaborate, high styles on shabbat. But not exactly the look that's currently trending in DL. But close, like the flaps of fabric cross over in the front and make a knot on top, as opposed to the smoother look with the knot behind the neck that was trending about 10 years ago.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 3:03 am
Success10 wrote:
I don't wear a shaitel, so like 10 years ago when I still tried to compensate, I would try the up high stuffed look (I was too cheap for a bobo) and it really made me feel physically unbalanced (I'm short).

I nowadays just wear the flat triangular scarf tied in the back. It very common in chareidi areas. Chareidi Sfardi ladies wear more elaborate, high styles on shabbat. But not exactly the look that's currently trending in DL. But close, like the flaps of fabric cross over in the front and make a knot on top, as opposed to the smoother look with the knot behind the neck that was trending about 10 years ago.

The bobos make all the difference. A curtain's-worth of fabric is just unwieldy Smile

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 3:22 am
amother OP wrote:
The ones I am talking about are on various types of women. Some I've seen on ultra orthodox with no hair showing, some are wearing their hair out, open necklines, short sleeves... I'm so confused.

I don't understand why they wear them so high. I guess in America, flatter is more common.

Please OP. It has been pointed out that it's a fashion. You can like it or not and that's OK. There's nothing more to understand.

someone

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 3:29 am
amother OP wrote:
The ones I am talking about are on various types of women. Some I've seen on ultra orthodox with no hair showing, some are wearing their hair out, open necklines, short sleeves... I'm so confused.

I don't understand why they wear them so high. I guess in America, flatter is more common.

There are a lot of women in the DL community in Israel who cover their hair, or some of their hair, and also wear short sleeves, pants, open necklines, whatever. And there are also people who are what is known as chardal who cover all their hair, maybe wear socks. And people in the middle. Its a whole range. But because it's a style women from along that range tie their mitpachat in a similar style. Does that make it clearer?
I can see why it looks weird if it's different to what you're used to, like any style. I personally usually really like it, sometimes its a bit much for my taste but that's just my style. In general it's great to see women doing a mitzva in such a beautiful way that makes them feel beautiful, that's the main thing, whatever you have on your head.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 5:57 am
amother OP wrote:

About what exactly? Isnt it wonderful that there is actually a hair covering that women of ALL walks of religious life, wear?
I think its absolutely lovely.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 6:03 am
Amazing so many women find ways to fulfill the important mitzvah of kisui Rosh
Mi kamcha Yisroel!

essie14

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 6:09 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
About what exactly? Isnt it wonderful that there is actually a hair covering that women of ALL walks of religious life, wear?
I think its absolutely lovely.

Agree.
OP, what exactly confuses you about Israeli style mitpachot?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 8:40 am
I was saying Im confused if people are wearing it for 'sake of covering hair' or for style. If it's a tradition thing . That's all.

Like I said, I don't understand the big mounds or knots on the head. But apparently many find it very beautiful. Most said it's a style, so I got my answer.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 8:52 am
I don't love the look, but I also don't think the big hair look of the 80s was flattering. I much prefer flat hair.

I wear sheitals out the house but at home I wear the thin tichels, tied at the back with tails. I think those are the most flattering for me.

My husband says the big israeli style tichels remind him of the harry potter book where voldemort is hiding in a turban. (IIRC)

juggling

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 9:03 am
amother OP wrote:
I was saying Im confused if people are wearing it for 'sake of covering hair' or for style. If it's a tradition thing . That's all.

Like I said, I don't understand the big mounds or knots on the head. But apparently many find it very beautiful. Most said it's a style, so I got my answer.

It's a stylistic way of covering the hair. In Israel such a mitpachat is a statement that one is religious as well as married. No one wears them "just because". But the choice of that style, vs a tichel or a snood, is for fashion.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 10:02 am
amother OP wrote:

I highly doubt that. Its a NEW style.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:40 am
amother OP wrote:

OP, please. What is there to understand? It's wearing for the sake of covering the hair just like covering with a snood or a wig or a garbage bag.
It's a style and it's totally fine if you don't like it. And no, it's not a tradition thing what ever that is.
Next

MyTimeNow

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:54 am
BadTichelDay wrote:
While it looks great, the more, the better, there is no obligation to wear a heavy weight on one's head.
I am DL and while I try to achieve maximum volume by loose knotting, twisting or folding up, I leave it at one scarf at a time. Not heavy at all. Height 10 - 20 cm. It does sometimes get stuck when getting in the car carelessly.
I suppose I love the style because it reminds me a bit of the blow dried big hair waves from the 80ies, guess my age Wink
I have wondered sometimes why American women who wear tichels often wear them so flat, just one thin straight layer on the head with no attempt to create any volume. Guess that's just a different style.

I love the look and wish I could manage multi layers but for me, it’s migraines. And I have thin, baby-fine hair so I always need something securing my whatever’s on my head. Many days even the pony holder for my ponytail under a simple pre-tied bandana is pressure. I’m barely in shaitels if I can help it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 12:59 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
OP, please. What is there to understand? It's wearing for the sake of covering the hair just like covering with a snood or a wig or a garbage bag.
It's a style and it's totally fine if you don't like it. And no, it's not a tradition thing what ever that is.
Next

Why are you getting so personal? Did I say I don't like it? I'm inquiring about a Judaic style as much as those who ask about color tights, sheitels, or shtreimels. You can just move on if it bothers you.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 1:12 pm
amother OP wrote:

I think the knots with the tails hanging out on top look silly too. But it's high fashion now.

Everything is relative to your local culture, I guess.

Still, it's better than the table-runner mitpachot of two years ago.

There are tasseled sequin mitpachot which look unbelievably gorgeous. And cone hats in simple fabrics are trending, so we'll be seeing more of those soon.

luftmaidel

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 2:07 pm
Rappel wrote:
And cone hats in simple fabrics are trending, so we'll be seeing more of those soon.

What are cone hats?

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 2:38 pm
luftmaidel wrote:
What are cone hats?

Like witches wear?

Rappel

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 2:41 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Like witches wear?

No, but you made me smile.

Picture a wide circle as the back of the hat, and then the body of the hat tapering until it's the size of the woman's head. Something between a beret and a chef's cap.

Last winter, they were all the rage in crocheted form - they looked like an exaggerated version of those hats older Russian women used to wear. Now they're coming back, in sewn fabric.

Edit: I found a link with pictures
https://bechic.co.il/product/%.....7%94/

Reality

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 3:07 pm
OP, in the US it is very uncommon for a religious woman to wear pants and cover her hair. In Israel on the other hand, it is quite common. Those women you see in pants and a Bobo or chetzi-bobo (full or partial raised hair covering) are religious women who are not just covering for fashion.

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 9:34 pm
amother OP wrote:

It's just the style. I don't get why this needs to be dissected so much. Styles in all sorts of areas are changing constantly.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics