Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Questions about your profession and salary
  Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next

newinbp

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 8:27 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
I work for the department of education in NY. I worked 9 years and make over 100,000 plus massive benefits of pension, dental insurance, health insurance. Which added up is worth over 50,000 a year. Summers off, all legal holidays, plus 3 weeks of vacation a year of xmas break, president's week, pesach vacation. Grateful. I love my job.

Wow, working for the dept of Ed you get the summer off? In a non-teaching position? I’m so curious this sounds so interesting. Are you ever less inspired or less motivated working with the community at large and not only the Jewish community or that doesn’t factor in at all for you?

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 8:47 pm
amother Banana wrote:
Graphic designer. I earn 200-300k I depending on the year, but this is with over a decade of experience and you need to be really good at design to earn this much.

Do you freelance or work for a company?

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 8:53 pm
newinbp wrote:
Wow, working for the dept of Ed you get the summer off? In a non-teaching position? I’m so curious this sounds so interesting. Are you ever less inspired or less motivated working with the community at large and not only the Jewish community or that doesn’t factor in at all for you?

There are so many pluses and minuses. All community public school workers are off in the summers. If you work summer, it's additional pay.
I sometimes wish so much that I work in a yeshiva instead. I am very good at my job and have a lot to offer. I am not on my kids school schedule which is good and bad. I get vacation time to myself but I have limited time off during their winter break and erev pesach. The nyc dept of education is very good to jews in that we can take religious days unlimited and still get most payment on those days. I am very frum so sometimes I feel out of place at work but then again I am very well respected and valued at work.

newinbp

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:17 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
There are so many pluses and minuses. All community public school workers are off in the summers. If you work summer, it's additional pay.
I sometimes wish so much that I work in a yeshiva instead. I am very good at my job and have a lot to offer. I am not on my kids school schedule which is good and bad. I get vacation time to myself but I have limited time off during their winter break and erev pesach. The nyc dept of education is very good to jews in that we can take religious days unlimited and still get most payment on those days. I am very frum so sometimes I feel out of place at work but then again I am very well respected and valued at work.

Thanks so much for the honest response, I can imagine it could be conflicting at times being frum and working for the public school district. It’s nice that u have so much knowledge, skills, and experience if one day u wanted to b a consultant in this field u could advise also the private sector, etc. kol hakavod! It’s also a beautiful kiddush Hashem for ur workplace Smile

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:46 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:

Wow! My mom works in a nyc public school as an SLP and hates her job so bad. She hates the atmosphere. Maybe just her school isn't a good one but she was in a worse one before so she's scared to switch

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:52 pm
newinbp wrote:
Thanks so much for the honest response, I can imagine it could be conflicting at times being frum and working for the public school district. It’s nice that u have so much knowledge, skills, and experience if one day u wanted to b a consultant in this field u could advise also the private sector, etc. kol hakavod! It’s also a beautiful kiddush Hashem for ur workplace Smile

Respectfully, how does working in a public school differ from working in any other secular environment?

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 12:01 am
I’m a PA in NYC and make 125K plus great benefits.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 12:13 am
amother Vanilla wrote:
I work for the department of education in NY. I worked 9 years and make over 100,000 plus massive benefits of pension, dental insurance, health insurance. Which added up is worth over 50,000 a year. Summers off, all legal holidays, plus 3 weeks of vacation a year of xmas break, president's week, pesach vacation. Grateful. I love my job.

Another vote for working for the NYC DOE.

Working for NYC DOE 20+ years and making $140,000 without working summers. Adding in all the holidays, sick days, health benefits, and eventual defined benefit pension - it can’t be beat.

Worthwhile to start young though . . .

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 12:20 am
amother Aqua wrote:
Another vote for working for the NYC DOE.

Working for NYC DOE 20+ years and making $140,000 without working summers. Adding in all the holidays, sick days, health benefits, and eventual defined benefit pension - it can’t be beat.

Worthwhile to start young though . . .

Funny that you're saying to start young in the DOE cuz when I was looking into it, I was 22, newly married, and everyone who was in there discouraged me. They said it's not a place for a woman who will be raising young kids cuz the schedule doesn't work for a young mother. I got a job in a Jewish school but no benefits so I keep rethinking it. But husb makes more than me and he's not flexible. We have 5 kids. There's always someone being off or sick and they're not old enough to stay home alone yet. I wonder how younger mothers make it work without having the kids stay with a nanny when sick

amother
White

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 12:30 am
amother Purple wrote:
For the first two years, I went in Tuesday-Thursday, 6-3:30 PM, home for the kids when they got home, and was home Mondays and Fridays.

How did you get them to give you off Monday and Friday?

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 12:41 am
amother White wrote:
When you graduate close to 30 and spent close to 200 k on tuition it’s horrific.

I graduated at 24 with a doctorate.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 12:49 am
amother White wrote:
Is it true that they barely give raises and that retail makes more?

Can’t really answer regarding retail bc that path was not for me.
Most workplaces give regular raises (3-6% annually) across the board to all, besides for a valuable employee requesting raises when assuming new and increasing responsibilities. So very unlikely to be stuck at 1 number and I’m not sure why you think it is so.
Sounds like you may want to work retail for a few years to get a feel and then open your own pharmacy. That’s another excellent pathway for monetary success.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 12:56 am
amother Carnation wrote:
Funny that you're saying to start young in the DOE cuz when I was looking into it, I was 22, newly married, and everyone who was in there discouraged me. They said it's not a place for a woman who will be raising young kids cuz the schedule doesn't work for a young mother. I got a job in a Jewish school but no benefits so I keep rethinking it. But husb makes more than me and he's not flexible. We have 5 kids. There's always someone being off or sick and they're not old enough to stay home alone yet. I wonder how younger mothers make it work without having the kids stay with a nanny when sick

Most if not all of the young mothers I know in the DOE have husbands who are in Yeshiva and can take off if need be.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 1:01 am
amother Carnation wrote:

The reason to start young is to build up pension and TDA benefits so you can eventually retire without financial stress for rest of your life. That’s worth a lot in my book (in addition to the salary, vacation, and health benefits, while working).

If there’s always someone off or sick, and you don’t have any coverage, it would be difficult, but wouldn’t any regular, full-time job have the same difficulty?

amother
Brickred

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 1:16 am
amother Vanilla wrote:

Dream worthy! Have you got your degree in anything specific?
How does one get a position there:)

amother
IndianRed

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 9:00 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
100k + benefits. Medicare biller. 20 hours a week.
I get twice the amount of work done then anyone in my office so get paid nicely.

Wow! Thats a fantastic salary! Im an HMO biller and make 75k after 10 years, and I was told that I have a great salary. I am a super fast worker and also have a huge workload that I get done in 26 hours. Can you DM me if you feel comfortable.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jan 11 2024, 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Poinsettia

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 9:03 am
amother Beige wrote:
Do you think there is potential in HR to make more? How do you get to that level?

Of course! I get yearly raises, plus bonuses. I worked hard to get to this point and still working hard. Chasdei Hashem I work for an incredible person that sees the massive changes I've implemented to better the companys' output.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 9:05 am
amother White wrote:
How did you get them to give you off Monday and Friday?

Almost everyone worked from home Mondays and Fridays so it really was no big deal to ask.

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 9:07 am
This thread just makes me feel more and more pathetic.

I have a MS in an allied health field, work in a hospital, and make peanuts.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 9:49 am
amother Tealblue wrote:
This thread just makes me feel more and more pathetic.

I have a MS in an allied health field, work in a hospital, and make peanuts.

any time there is a salary thread here, I feel that way!
Page 10 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics