Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Solar Eclipse 2024
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 11:03 pm
redrose wrote:
Tried to look on the map, is Syracuse the closest place to nyc that will have total eclipse? I liked what poster mentioned to visit zoo that time....any zoos in the area?

I don't know if it's literally the closest, but it's probably the most direct. It will have the full eclipse for shorter if that matters to you, one minute instead of 3.5 minutes in Rochester.

There is a zoo in Syracuse, the Rosamond Gifford Zoo. https://rosamondgiffordzoo.org.....sion/

It might be swamped then, though, better plan to get there early if you're coming!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 9:10 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
We're traveling from NY to VT, to Burlington. Heard it's less likely to be cloudy near water.

For those saying "we're only getting x% coverage but that's enough for me", you're totally missing the point. Ask anyone who's seen 100% totality and they'll tell you even 99% doesn't compare. People literally fly across the world to chase total eclipses. We're very excited that we'll get to see this one, only annoying thing is we'll need to shlep our little kids with us. Ah well.

Burlington was our original plan but the hotels were sold out faster than an eyeblink. I very much agree with this sentiment. Partial is partial no matter how much of a percentage. It's either you see totality or you haven't seen an eclipse...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 9:11 pm
Asking for someone, does anyone know people who will be in Lake George Sunday night? Looking to put together a minyan for maariv.

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 9:18 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
We're traveling from NY to VT, to Burlington. Heard it's less likely to be cloudy near water.

For those saying "we're only getting x% coverage but that's enough for me", you're totally missing the point. Ask anyone who's seen 100% totality and they'll tell you even 99% doesn't compare. People literally fly across the world to chase total eclipses. We're very excited that we'll get to see this one, only annoying thing is we'll need to shlep our little kids with us. Ah well.

I want to go but what are you doing with the little kids during the eclipse? Are you worried about their eyes?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 10:19 pm
amother Quince wrote:
I want to go but what are you doing with the little kids during the eclipse? Are you worried about their eyes?

Put them into a stroller facing the other direction.

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 10:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
Put them into a stroller facing the other direction.

That’s good enough? Cool

doctorima

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
Asking for someone, does anyone know people who will be in Lake George Sunday night? Looking to put together a minyan for maariv.

Albany has a daily minyan, so if you can't find Lake George, perhaps you can arrange your travel to be in Albany for their maariv and then continue north.

amother
Apple

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 12:31 am
amother Yolk wrote:
I'm here too.

For all the seasoned eclipsers, I'm confused.
I got eclipse glasses from the public library, and they are completely opaque. What are they for?? You can't see through them.

You can't see anything but the sun. They're specifically made for this purpose.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 9:36 am
doctorima wrote:
Albany has a daily minyan, so if you can't find Lake George, perhaps you can arrange your travel to be in Albany for their maariv and then continue north.

They know that but were hoping to travel further north earlier in the day. If anyone knows of anything, please post here.

amother
White

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 9:59 pm
planning to travel tomorrow morning, either to Burlington vt or Syracuse.
Can anyone tell me where to go for viewing? I see most places are booked. I dont need a busy crowded place with music. I would rather appreciate a more quiet place.

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 10:30 pm
amother Crimson wrote:

This!!!!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 11:00 pm
amother White wrote:
planning to travel tomorrow morning, either to Burlington vt or Syracuse.
Can anyone tell me where to go for viewing? I see most places are booked. I dont need a busy crowded place with music. I would rather appreciate a more quiet place.

My husband suggests looking for a Walmart in the area and just parking in their lot

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 3:48 pm
Clevelander here.
Total was.AMAZING!!!!
NOW I get the hype

InnerPrincess

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 4:10 pm
Sooo....
Lakewood had a nice cloudy afternoon.

I'd love to hear experiences from those who traveled/were in the path!

Can you share?

amother
Thistle

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 4:35 pm
What time is it in NY?
Asking for my kids, I am totally uninterested to see it.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 4:37 pm
Someone sent around a video of total eclipse in Chile and it was pretty amazing to see (even if video distorts it- and obviously in person in incomparable).

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 4:46 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
What time is it in NY?

It's over...

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 4:48 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
What time is it in NY?

It’s over.
But wondering why you’re totally uninterested?

Also Chofetz Chaim actually said it’s a mitzvah to look at such a phenomena.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 4:52 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
What time is it in NY?

It was from 2:10pm to 4:36pm, with the peak at 3:25pm.

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 5:02 pm
Don't live in the US. Watched on NASA. Was beautiful . Got to see New Mexico, Texas, Ohio, NY, Maine. Plus 3 rocket launches!
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics