Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Do Chasidish women not fast?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 9:28 am
amother Starflower wrote:
In my community (belz) we don't fast on Tisha bav when pregnant or nursing, although I think usually you ask first. We also don't fast the other minor fasts.

Hi, belz here too
We always fasted, the minor ones as well
The only Tisha bav I missed when Dr said was a risk and dayan told me not to
The other ones I fasted even if I was pregnant, Nursing..
I guess depends what your family always did?

amother
Tealblue

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 9:29 am
I'm Satmar. Fasted every fast since I turned 12. I missed some fast days during my pregnancy and nursing years. Not Tisha Bov.
And am fasting every one, since.
I'm in my high 50s and my mother ah fasted every fast days into her 90s.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 9:36 am
Satmar. Don't think I fasted the minor fasts when I was single either.
9av nidcha I got heterim when pregnant. Nursing not as easily.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 9:40 am
Im bobov never fasted even when I was a girl the small fasts but tisha bav and yom kippur was always non negotiable to fast unless theres an extenuating circumstance and even more so if tisha bav is a nidche
No one I know doesnt fast tisha bav. I once broke my fast after chatzos because I was pregnant and not feeling well but it was also a nidche

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 9:41 am
I'm Chassidish and never heard of women not fasting TishaBav. I've heard of women asking for and getting Heterim easily. But officially not fasting without asking? Never.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 9:42 am
im not fasting today more because I never did than a special reason

amother
Starflower

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 9:43 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
Hi, belz here too
We always fasted, the minor ones as well
The only Tisha bav I missed when Dr said was a risk and dayan told me not to
The other ones I fasted even if I was pregnant, Nursing..
I guess depends what your family always did?

For the minor fasts most people I know don't fast. I think the people who do fast it's a family thing.

For Tisha bav I think it depends on your dayan, although I'm not sure because I was pregnant only once.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 9:47 am
amother Tuberose wrote:
In my community almost no women fast - but they admittedly take leniencies, they're not following any tradition to not fast. I have heard women talking about going to the rav for heters for things like headaches. I honestly think this generation has just become pretty lenient on a lot of things... If we want moshiach now we should tighten up...

I don’t know why this comment doesn’t bother anyone, sounds quite judgmental. Do you think that’s why Moshiach isn’t here yet? That’s very simplistic thinking.
Also due to those who sound like you is why I don’t share that I personally cannot fast ( for mental health reasons). BH you have never suffered and are stronger than me.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 9:47 am
amother Tuberose wrote:
In my community almost no women fast - but they admittedly take leniencies, they're not following any tradition to not fast. I have heard women talking about going to the rav for heters for things like headaches. I honestly think this generation has just become pretty lenient on a lot of things... If we want moshiach now we should tighten up...

Why is speaking to a rav about headaches an issue? The point of fasting is not to make yourself sick.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 10:14 am
I asked my sister who is bobov about fasting. She said that, in general, bobov is meikel about women fasting, but not when it comes to Yom Kippur and tisha b’av. Those two are in their own category.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:14 am
amother Mintgreen wrote:
In Satmar,the women mostly fast. In Bobov, Klausenberg, Sanz, they dont

Klausenberg Rebbe was makpid that women should fast

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:18 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
I asked my sister who is bobov about fasting. She said that, in general, bobov is meikel about women fasting, but not when it comes to Yom Kippur and tisha b’av. Those two are in their own category.

The many Bobov women I know, do not fast on tisha b'av. They didn't even fast as girls.
The weird thing about all this is, is that asarah b'teves is the harshest fast in halacha, harsher than tisha b'av. Asarah b'teves is the only fast in halacha that if it would fall on shabbos, we'd fast on shabbos & it's not pushed off like any other fasts.
(Yom kippur is a fast from the torah, the other are from halacha.)

GOODMOM

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:27 am
Chassidish here. I'm fasting today. In our family we fast every fast day since the 12 yrs. But if you are pregnant or nursing a baby , you only fast Yom Kippur and Tisha Bov.

amother
Ballota

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:32 am
amother Green wrote:
Klausenberg Rebbe was makpid that women should fast

He was makpid that woman should NOT fast,.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:35 am
amother Ballota wrote:
He was makpid that woman should NOT fast,.

I grew up in a klausenberg home. Young, healthy girls should fast. Nursing or pregnant mothers or mothers in general not. I fasted every fast till I got married.

amother
Ballota

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:35 am
Chayalle wrote:
My grandmother - she should live to 120 - grew up Chassidish (Viznitz). She told me she never missed a fast, even in Auschwitz.
I wonder if Viznits is still like that today....

In the Rebbe's family we're very mapkid on not skipping the minor fasts. Within the chassidus in general women don't fast the minor fasts.

amother
Ballota

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:37 am
amother DarkYellow wrote:
I grew up in a klausenberg home. Young, healthy girls should fast. Nursing or pregnant mothers or mothers in general not. I fasted every fast till I got married.

My mother's family was klousenberg. I grew up.on stories of how the Rebbe wouldn't let anyone fast if there was the smallest chance that they didn't need to.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:43 am
amother Lilac wrote:
The many Bobov women I know, do not fast on tisha b'av. They didn't even fast as girls.
The weird thing about all this is, is that asarah b'teves is the harshest fast in halacha, harsher than tisha b'av. Asarah b'teves is the only fast in halacha that if it would fall on shabbos, we'd fast on shabbos & it's not pushed off like any other fasts.
(Yom kippur is a fast from the torah, the other are from halacha.)

Maybe it’s a family thing? But it’s not a bobov shita, that’s what my sister said.
Is it widely accepted that if asara bteves fell in shabbos we would fast? I don’t remember learning or hearing this.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:44 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
Maybe it’s a family thing? But it’s not a bobov shita, that’s what my sister said.
Is it widely accepted that if asara bteves fell in shabbos we would fast? I don’t remember learning or hearing this.

Asarah b'teves cannot fall on shabbos. But if it were to fall on shabbos, it would be the only halachic fast that would not be postponed & we'd fast on shabbos.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:45 am
amother Mintgreen wrote:
In Satmar,the women mostly fast. In Bobov, Klausenberg, Sanz, they dont

Just the opposite. My bobov classmates were always the only ones who fasted
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days