Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Matisyahu
  Previous  1  2  3  4 15  16  17  Next

Queeniemom

Post Sun, Jan 08 2006, 11:34 pm
Major point being missed - The reason why matisyahu is featured on MTV.
He's the real deal. Noway these jewish rip-off artists are talented enough to be signed by sony.

I think he is a good example of why Jewish schools need to be dedicated to an arts curriculum.

Kids need outlets to express their spirituality.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jan 09 2006, 10:41 am
I want to agree with you Queenie, but as a person that's addicted to watching E!, I always watch stories about celebrities gone bad. The rock n' roll scene is extremely corrupt, full of drugs and s-x. Someone would have to be extremely strong to be able to resist it's siren pull.

I definitely agree with the need for stronger arts programs in schools, but at the same time, I don't think that it's a good idea for frum people to become involved with the secular music scene.

As a side note - yesterday I was in my car listening to a hip-hop station, and all of a sudden I heard the word Moshiach! I was like - no way - Matisyahu's playing on a predominantly black station! That's so cool!

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 10 2006, 10:08 am
I actually heard 7 year old boys singing Matisyahu songs the other day. Crying
it was very sad. these young boys have barely been exposed to real Jewish music yet, and they have Matisyahu forced on them by their parents who might be thinking, "better this than non jewish music" Crying Question

Queeniemom

Post Tue, Jan 10 2006, 6:29 pm
what makes something real jewish music?

Motek

Post Tue, Jan 10 2006, 6:36 pm
I assume RG is referring to Chasidic niggunim. And yes, RG, very sad. The stupidity of the parents really irks me Mad . Sorry for the harshness. I'm not referring to anybody I know but to the idea that chasidic parents are, as you say, "forcing" it upon the young innocents.

timeout

Post Tue, Jan 10 2006, 7:37 pm
Who says the 7 year olds were Chassidic?

Why do we automatically think that the parents are the ones forcing it on them maybe it's when there older brother or uncle drives them to mishmor he has it on in the car maybe it's in the pizza shop they go to or maybe one has headphones and he lets the rest listen!

Queeniemom

Post Tue, Jan 10 2006, 7:43 pm
Am I the only one who enjoys listening to good music?

My kids also love music and I don't think I would be doing a good job as a parent if I only exposed them to one style of music.

timeout

Post Tue, Jan 10 2006, 7:44 pm
My kids love Baby Einstein it has all the calssical music in one tape!

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 10 2006, 8:10 pm
Quote:
assume RG is referring to Chasidic niggunim. And yes, RG, very sad. The stupidity of the parents really irks me . Sorry for the harshness. I'm not referring to anybody I know but to the idea that chasidic parents are, as you say, "forcing" it upon the young innocents.

you got it Motek. you are not being harsh, you know, how are the kids supposed to have any sense of direction when their own parents are confusing them? Crying

Mrs.Norris

Post Tue, Jan 24 2006, 10:20 am
wow I think you're over reacting quite a bit.

First of all, what's it to you if these parents don't mind their kids listening to Mattisyahu, they're not exactly forcing it onto your kids nor are they telling you what your kids should listen to it. I'm sure many people could criticise those who only let their children listen to Lubavitch nigunim - not exactly exposing them to many different genres of music and all that.
It's not as if his music is so explicit - it's JEWISH music after all.

Secondly, why jump to conclusions, unless you know these kids personally you don't know that they've been FORCED to listen to Mattisyahu, it could be they like the music and that's what kids in their class listen to and it's what they want to listen to, and their parents don't object.

Also as timeout says - who said these kids were chassidic and even if they were it's nothing THAT terrible pr shocking. My niece is 2 and sings Mattisyahu songs.

I can hear people falling of their chairs already ... Rolling Eyes

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 24 2006, 12:28 pm
Quote:
First of all, what's it to you if these parents don't mind their kids listening to Mattisyahu

I feel bad for them when they can be doing much better. or is it none of my business to even feel bad?

Quote:
I'm sure many people could criticise those who only let their children listen to Lubavitch nigunim - not exactly exposing them to many different genres of music and all that.

their criticism obviously comes from ignorance about niggunim.

Quote:
It's not as if his music is so explicit - it's JEWISH music after all.

in my opinion, Jewish music has to be aidel as well. not just jewish words and even tunes. if it makes you hiphop like in a nightclub somewhere, its not appropriate Jewish music.

Quote:
unless you know these kids personally

I know them personally enough to judge this.

Quote:
you don't know that they've been FORCED to listen to Mattisyahu, it could be they like the music and that's what kids in their class listen to and it's what they want to listen to, and their parents don't object.

im talking about 7 year olds. 7 year olds dont know what music they like. if its easy for them and they know the words and if the parents like it, theyll probably like it too. thats what I mean by forced. th eparents say "oh no, if I dont let them listen theyll rebell, I better let them listen." they are forced to listen because of their parents' silly ideas.

Quote:
who said these kids were chassidic and even if they were it's nothing THAT terrible pr shocking

again, I know these kids. they love to sing Chassidishe niggunim, and I wonder if their parents know this.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jan 24 2006, 1:05 pm
Just remember that older people almost never like what the younger generation is listening to. They'll usually call the music of the day $%^# or other such derogatory names.

Everyone likes to look down their noses and think that something new isn't good. Maybe people should just mind their own business, stop being so narrowminded, and let people listen to the music they like. Just because you don't understand complex music such a reggae, doesn't mean you need to be so negative about a genre that a good Jewish boy is using to promote a wonderful message.

Mrs.Norris

Post Tue, Jan 24 2006, 1:33 pm
RG wrote:
their criticism obviously comes from ignorance about niggunim.

why is that ignorance? Some people might think music is an important aspect and want their children to be exposed to more than just one style.

Quote:
I know them personally enough to judge this.

But why judge? What do you gain out of it?
One thing I can't stand is people thinking they have the right to judge everyone and everything. Be a bit more open minded - clearly not everyone shares your opinions on music!!

Quote:
im talking about 7 year olds. 7 year olds dont know what music they like. if its easy for them and they know the words and if the parents like it, theyll probably like it too. thats what I mean by forced. th eparents say "oh no, if I dont let them listen theyll rebell, I better let them listen." they are forced to listen because of their parents' silly ideas.

Of course 7 year olds know what they like, I have never, not even when I was 7, liked or listened to (unless I had to) the same music as my parents.

As I said it could be a mixture of reasons why they listen to Matisyahu - I don't think any of these reasons are anyone's concern apart from the parents.

Oh and I completely agree with what defy gravity has said, I don't think there's much more I can add to that.

SMG

Post Tue, Jan 24 2006, 1:42 pm
We currently have a newer HASC 4 disc concert in our car. It has a whole range of songs from a variety of different artists, all of them representing Jewish music. My kids love to sing "chop em down", beg to hear "Daddy Dear" and sing along at the top of their lungs to "Koh Amar". They have learned nothing bad as far as I'm concerned. What they've gotten is some good pesukim, nice Jewish concepts and an appreciation for different genres of music all within the right setting.

shayna82

Post Tue, Jan 24 2006, 1:43 pm
it can go both ways, those that play uncle moshie or mordechai ben david or even the calmer clasical niggunim are also guilty of "forcing it down their throats", thats why that argument doesnt hold any water. the fact is at the age of 7, children dont know what they like as far as music goes, so is that to say that the parents shouldnt play any music at all, until they get to ten and know what style they like? come on ladies, that soiunds pathetic.

my husband is in a chasidish heavy metal band. because of all of his practicing on drums, my two year old plays the drums well , (I mean there is a rythym) and he loves music.

matisyahu is doing a great job, whoever disagrees with him, fine, to each their own, but please dont mock parents that want their children to be well rounded, even if that means starting at 6 months old, or GASP even in the womb!

zigi

Post Tue, Jan 24 2006, 2:48 pm
shayna82 where does you husband play? I like differant types of music, we have everything from country yossi, to niggunim and my son likes any music. he likes the differant beats. my son knows what he likes he starts to dance when ever a song he likes comes on! he even did they before he was born he was literally doing somersalts in me while we were at the concert!

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 24 2006, 3:04 pm
Quote:
Just remember that older people almost never like what the younger generation is listening to. They'll usually call the music of the day $%^# or other such derogatory names. Everyone likes to look down their noses and think that something new isn't good. Maybe people should just mind their own business, stop being so narrowminded, and let people listen to the music they like. Just because you don't understand complex music such a reggae, doesn't mean you need to be so negative about a genre that a good Jewish boy is using to promote a wonderful message.

the line has to be drawn somewhere, where do you draw the line?
my posts are not about the music, but about the parenting.

Quote:
why is that ignorance? Some people might think music is an important aspect and want their children to be exposed to more than just one style.

those who understand music and its effects on a neshama, understand about niggunim.

Quote:
But why judge? What do you gain out of it?
One thing I can't stand is people thinking they have the right to judge everyone and everything. Be a bit more open minded - clearly not everyone shares your opinions on music!!

we've been through the judging discussion many times before on this forum. I see youre relatively new here, but read enough threads and youll come across the answer.

Quote:
Of course 7 year olds know what they like, I have never, not even when I was 7, liked or listened to (unless I had to) the same music as my parents.

may I ask if you purchased your own music as a 7 year old? I have yet to see 7 year old boys here choosing their own tapes and cd's.

Quote:
those that play uncle moshie or mordechai ben david or even the calmer clasical niggunim are also guilty of "forcing it down their throats", thats why that argument doesnt hold any water.

are you saying there is no difference between MBD/Uncle Moishy, etc., and Chassidic Niggunim?
exposing your children at a young age to Niggunim is beneficial to the deepest part of them, while that is not so about the others. and if it happens to be a tune composed by a non-Jew it is actually harmful! shock

Quote:
the fact is at the age of 7, children dont know what they like as far as music goes,

do you agree with me on that or just repeating?

Quote:
so is that to say that the parents shouldnt play any music at all, until they get to ten and know what style they like? come on ladies, that soiunds pathetic.

that doesnt sound like what I wrote.

Quote:
matisyahu is doing a great job, whoever disagrees with him, fine, to each their own,

again, im not talking about the music here, im talking about the parenting issues.

Quote:
but please dont mock parents that want their children to be well rounded,

I am concerned for their children. mockery is completely different, and I dont see where im guilty of that.
"well-rounded" is relative, you know. just like "natural" is. and as far as I know "well-rounded" was never mentioned to us by our Rebbe when he spoke to us about chinuch.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Jan 24 2006, 4:03 pm
Marney wrote:
I think that Matisyahu is very talented. I have heard samples of his music on the internet, and am considering buying his album.

However, I have to say that I was driving in my car the other day and flipping through the radio channels (I am a talk radio freak!). Anyway, I almost crashed my car when I heard Matisyahu blaring through a popular secular radio station, singing about "Hashem" and "Mashiach."

Quite honestly, I think his music is a clever way to get "the word" out to Jews. However, I was really uncomfortable knowing that mainly non jews were/are now tuning into his songs. Actually, it is usser to teach a [gentile] about Torah topics. Plus, who knows if some of his lyrics might not be offensive to some from other religions/cultures? It just struck me as dangerous and inappropriate for some reason.

Maybe I am an alarmist?

Just to reassure you , that it is not ossur to speak about a great percentage of Torah topics to a [gentile]. A [gentile] is allowed to learn Torah topics that are relevant to their Seven Mitzvos - Noachide Laws, one of which is to believe in Hashem. There are even certain concepts in Chassidus that are appropriate for a non-Jew to learn, for example Shaar HaYichud V'haEmunah, because it is part of Achdus Hashem.

shayna82

Post Tue, Jan 24 2006, 4:33 pm
RG we obviously have different views on this, so im going to end it here.

ektsm

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 11:42 pm
it's fine - leave hte guy alone
Page 3 of 17   Previous  1  2  3  4 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics