Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Matisyahu
  1  2  3  15  16  17  Next

amother

Post Tue, Apr 26 2005, 2:11 pm
There's a new singer/rapper out there named Matisyahu who is a frum Lubavitcher. he sings and raps about G-d and in his words, is "spreading G-dliness", which is what the rebbe wanted. he performs for non jews and is considered successful in "the industry". he wears a black hat, has a beard and looks very obviously jewish. there are those who feel that what he is doing is a chillel hashem while others believe the exact opposite to be true. (he has said that he will not perform on shabbos for any amount of money.) I was just wondering what people think about this issue and more specifically, how he is viewed by the Lubavitch world. any comments?

AweSumThenSum

Post Tue, Apr 26 2005, 5:31 pm
he's making quite a stir, and yes, the topic was discussed elsewhere but I'll post my opinion here.
I think that he is doing a lot of good in some circles, but that he is reflecting poorly on others. it's never a good idea for yidden to imitate non jews, and he is definitely imitating non jews with his rap, even though the lyrics are jewish themed. on the other hand, there are a lot of not-yet-frum people whom he can positively influence, so I think that, as with all things, we each haveto examine where we stand and make our own decision as to whether or not he is right for us.

ilvmommyhood

Post Tue, Apr 26 2005, 6:54 pm
I think he is a great asset. He creates quite a stir on the college campuses and has been a great tool for many shluchim.

Tefila

Post Wed, Apr 27 2005, 7:46 pm
Quote:
and has been a great tool for many shluchim.

Yep I have heard about that too Wink

avigayil

Post Thu, Apr 28 2005, 12:55 am
Okay, just to be technical.......................
It's regae!
Not rap at all.
I personally think it's beatiful! Very Happy

roza

Post Thu, Apr 28 2005, 1:47 am
http://www.jumu.fr/matisyahuco......html

supermom

Post Sun, May 01 2005, 2:25 pm
ragea rap, rapper rap ragea what is the difference? he sounds like he is rapping nothing anyway.

shayna82

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 2:36 pm
"A popular 26-year-old Hasidic singer, Matisyahu, raps in a brimmed hat and dark suit over reggae beats. "Torah food for my brain let it rain till I drown, Thunder! Let the blessings come down," he says in "King Without a Crown."

this was quoted from yahoo news

I myself love the idea that a frum person can be normal and play in the outside world. there are those that say it is inapropriate. what do you think?

Last edited by shayna82 on Thu, Dec 22 2005, 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 2:43 pm
Quote:
anyone that has anything smart to say please say it, im intersted in hearing
Confused

I'll ignore the reference to intelligence and say this: songs from pop/culture etc. are not Jewish music, even if they're put to Jewish words.

Lately Avraham Freid sings Chassidishe music, and he's at his best with that. It doesn't make him less popular.

Matisyahu might be be a novelty to the outside world, but it's not what frum, Chassidishe kids should listen to.

Last edited by TzenaRena on Wed, Dec 07 2005, 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

timeout

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 2:45 pm
I myself love Lipa Shmeltzer, and he is definitely controvertial Mattisyahu I just can't understand what he is saying. I see no problem in his music if it brings kids closer to yiddishkeit and listening to this rather than rap music which is full of curses and horrible ideas.

Rivk

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 2:54 pm
See this discussion:

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....5a25f

and this:

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....5a25f

Hope that was smart enough for you, Shayna82! Twisted Evil

SMG

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 2:56 pm
They say music is that language of the soul, but who says everyone's soul has to speak in the same tongue? Different people can be reached and inspired by different musical mediums. I say whatever works for you!

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 3:12 pm
Quote:
Lately Avraham Freid sings Chassidishe music, and he's at his best with that. It doesn't make him less popular.

Matisyahu might be be a novelty to the outside world, but it's not what frum, Chassidishe kids should listen to

agree with you.

For a chabad house trying to bring people closer matisyahu is great, but it isnt something chassidishe kids should listen to.

timeout

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 3:20 pm
You would be surprised and dissapointed to what chassidishe kids today are listening to and Mattisyahu should be the worst. Most parents don't know what their kids are exposed to outside there house either from freinds or others.

Yes there are many wonderful children who only listen to chassidshe tapes and niggunim I am not making a blanket statement about kids in general but if my child would come to me and say Ma I want to listen to Mattisyahu instead of going behind my back and listening to worse I would be a very proud Mommy Smile

shayna82

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 3:31 pm
sara yehudis, when I said "smart" I only meant dont say something very obvious, only say your opinion

dont get defensive

shopaholic

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 7:36 pm
Timeout - I agree. I know a family with a lot of kids. With the older few, the parents drove them crazy about their listening to Only Simchas & things like that. Then, a couple of their kids went off the derech. These parents would be thrilled if those kids were listening to Only Simchas or Mattisyahu nowadays. Still, it's each parents choice as to what their children should be listening to.

youngmom

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 7:41 pm
I think you mean oif simchas, momof3. am I correct?

shopaholic

Post Thu, Dec 08 2005, 4:02 pm
Whoops! I guess I visit that site a little to often!

beanmaidel

Post Thu, Dec 08 2005, 5:38 pm
momof3 wrote:
Timeout - I agree. I know a family with a lot of kids. With the older few, the parents drove them crazy about their listening to Only Simchas & things like that. Then, a couple of their kids went off the derech. These parents would be thrilled if those kids were listening to Only Simchas or Mattisyahu nowadays. Still, it's each parents choice as to what their children should be listening to.

I have to stick my 2 cents in and they are smart worthy 2 cents shayna82.. Smile

I personally listen to Matisyahu.. while it may not be appropriate for everyone.. I would rather listen to him than some Jewish Boy band (Chevra/Miami Alumni/Etc..) He is singing from his heart and his soul not his future bank account..

as SMG said
Quote:
They say music is that language of the soul, but who says everyone's soul has to speak in the same tongue? Different people can be reached and inspired by different musical mediums. I say whatever works for you!

Hashem hears our tefilot in every way we express them.. so too with music. I personally was inspired by Matisyahu's story and his songs have a deep meaning to them. Not everyone would agree though. I do know that many teens at risk see that you can be frum and still be "cool" and start to feel that there is some hope for them to return.. I would rather my kids, IY"H, listen to Matisyahu, Shlomo Carlebach etc than to some of the explicit secular music that is out there today..

chanala

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 6:24 am
My DD and I listen to Yeshiva Boys Choir (Cleveland) in the car on the way to/from school! We both love it!! Many diff styles of music, but all completely appropriate lyrics! She likes Yiru the best, I like some of the slower, soulful ones that she always wants me to skip! (I listen to those when she's not in the car, LOL)
Page 1 of 17   1  2  3  15  16  17  Next Recent Topics