Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Jewish Book Recs?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

DVOM

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 7:02 am
Ok, here goes:

(Trigger warning: when I get on a subject, I like to read everything. So a lot of these books are written from a very liberal Jewish perspective, some are written by Palestinians from a very Arab perspective. I don't agree with every book. But I am curious to hear every perspective. Not everyone can stomach that or is interested in it. Read at your own risk!)

Hundred Years' War on Palestine by Rashid Khalidi

Avi Shavits's My Promise Land

Letters to my Palestinian Neighbor and Like Dreamers by Yossi Klein Halevi

The Two State Delusion by Padrig O'Malley

Nine Quarters of Jerusalem (strong strong strong trigger warning: beautiful descriptions of parts of the old city I will probably never get to see, written by a Jew with a distressing amount of self hatred.)

Catch the Jew by Tuvia Tennenbom

Exodus by Leon Uris (fiction, beautiful and fascinating. Accurate? Judge for yourself!)

Under Jerusalem by Andrew Lawler

Princess23

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 1:39 pm
Riva Pomerantz
Rabbi nachman seltzer

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 3:01 pm
If Only by Libby Klein. There’s also another book before that one. I forget what’s it’s called

Hidden by Rochel Istrin.

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 3:05 pm
Kingdom of Khazar series by M Kenan is outstanding!

Loved Sun Inside Rain by M Bassara too. A frum romance novel, you don’t see that every day.

Imateacher

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 3:09 pm
DVOM wrote:
Ok, here goes:

(Trigger warning: when I get on a subject, I like to read everything. So a lot of these books are written from a very liberal Jewish perspective, some are written by Palestinians from a very Arab perspective. I don't agree with every book. But I am curious to hear every perspective. Not everyone can stomach that or is interested in it. Read at your own risk!)

Nine Quarters of Jerusalem (strong strong strong trigger warning: beautiful descriptions of parts of the old city I will probably never get to see, written by a Jew with a distressing amount of self hatred.)

Exodus by Leon Uris (fiction, beautiful and fascinating. Accurate? Judge for yourself!)

Did you read perfidy?

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 4:36 pm
I LOVED sun showers and I’m a huge book snob
I loved and even if not by Devoiry Kreiman - it’s extremely emotional
I loved the biography of the rebbe by Josef telushkin I feel like it changed my life in a very good way

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 4:48 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
Thank you for the shoutout, I’m the author of that book, I was wondering if anyone on here had read it. Glad you enjoyed Smile
amother Papayawhip wrote:
There’s a new novel that I received as a gift for sukkos. It’s unique and a fun read I just couldn’t put it down. The Trepid Trilogy-Homeward Bound

I just bought it!

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 6:33 pm
DVOM wrote:
Ok, here goes:

Can I add “The Son of Hamas”? Fascinating book, well written, a bit hard to read as he spent some time in Israeli prisons and was treated horribly. But definitely a very interesting perspective.

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 6:35 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I just bought it!

Yayay! Don’t want to hijack this thread but I would love your feedback. I can also be reached at trepidtrilogy@gmail.com

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 10:14 pm
Tries2BGoodMom wrote:
If Only by Libby Klein. There’s also another book before that one. I forget what’s it’s called

Hidden by Rochel Istrin.

Is it called- Even there even now? I just googled the author and that’s what came up. It looks like a very interesting book.

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 10:15 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
Yayay! Don’t want to hijack this thread but I would love your feedback. I can also be reached at trepidtrilogy@gmail.com

I read your books enjoyed too! You’re a very good writer!

amother
Offwhite

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 10:30 pm
Mountain Climbers - Malky Feig
True stories very well written

Tao

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 10:33 pm
Autumn Rain is excellent. It's by Rachel Schorr. I find her works vary. Some are excellent, others less so.
Riva Pomerantz, of course, although I find that after a number of her books they start sounding the same (have this issue with a non-Jewish writer also - loved her books but after you've read 5 or 6 of them, you can basically know what's going to happen)
Sun inside Rain reads like a very Jewish book. I'll say it like it is: people like it cuz its romance, no other reason.
(I like romance as much as the next gal, just saying. If fromance is your thing I'd also suggest Short Changed)
I like Esty Heller (not sure of spelling) and Dov Haller, ironically I don't like Yisroel Besser though it's the same guy, very different style.
I love Chaya Gross' serials, not sure if they have been published as books.
As a teen I loved Invisible Me by Tzipi Caton, and also another book I can't remember the name, about 2 teenage sisters whose mother is bipolar - I think it had dancing in the title, not sure.
Unfortunately haven't read a really good book in a long time.

ShaniF

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 10:36 pm
Tao wrote:
Autumn Rain is excellent. It's by Rachel Schorr. I find her works vary. Some are excellent, others less so.
Riva Pomerantz, of course, although I find that after a number of her books they start sounding the same (have this issue with a non-Jewish writer also - loved her books but after you've read 5 or 6 of them, you can basically know what's going to happen)
Sun inside Rain reads like a very Jewish book. I'll say it like it is: people like it cuz its romance, no other reason.
(I like romance as much as the next gal, just saying. If fromance is your thing I'd also suggest Short Changed)
I like Esty Heller (not sure of spelling) and Dov Haller, ironically I don't like Yisroel Besser though it's the same guy, very different style.
I love Chaya Gross' serials, not sure if they have been published as books.
As a teen I loved Invisible Me by Tzipi Caton, and also another book I can't remember the name, about 2 teenage sisters whose mother is bipolar - I think it had dancing in the title, not sure.
Unfortunately haven't read a really good book in a long time.

Dancing in the Dark

Regarding Sun Inside Rain - yes, it's fromance so it's more appealing BUT it is also written extremely well.

realeez

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 3:10 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
Is it called- Even there even now? I just googled the author and that’s what came up. It looks like a very interesting book.

There’s a third book now called See The Good

amother
Garnet

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 3:51 pm
Arab writers don’t make for Jewish books

We read only frum Jewish fiction

A challenge for avid voracious readers

Still worth it

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 4:45 pm
amother Garnet wrote:

Still worth it

Which Jewish book is written by an Arab author?

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 4:48 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
I read your books enjoyed too! You’re a very good writer!

Thank you!!!!!! You’re feedback means so much! Book 2 should be hitting the shelves any day be”H.

amother
Aconite

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 6:08 pm
amother Garnet wrote:

Still worth it

Huh??

amother
Vanilla

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 7:28 pm
ShaniF wrote:
I second this! It's an amazing book

I'm really excited for #2!

Book 2 is out!
Hope it’s OK that I’m posting this here, but here’s the link to the next installment:
https://www.israelbookshoppubl.....0.htm

Tell me what you think!
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room