Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Tell me a secret about your industry..
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Narcissus

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 1:13 am
I'm a teacher for 20 years now, and I'm still nervous before the first day of school.

amother
Dahlia

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 1:13 am
Growing wrote:
I think this is broad scale loshon hora
additionally:
there are hundreds of nonprofits out there
don't paint all with the same brush

The matching this is definitely done by almost everyone. I knew this before I even went into non profits after being involved in a campaign on a personal level and then speaking to others in my feild.

Making up stories I cannot say how much it's used, but based on speaking to others in my feild it's pretty common. I was taken aback when I had to do it for a client at our company and my boss and coworkers were like this is pretty normal....

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 1:16 am
weasley wrote:
I would love to learn those techniques!! Any YouTube videos you'd reccomend?

Sure
It all depends what you like to draw, with what medium etc.
If you give me an idea of your interests, I can recommend You Tube videos.

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 1:28 am
I am a babysitter and as a general rule, not always

The harder the parent the more easy going the kid
The harder the kid the more easy going the parent

amother
Dahlia

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 1:31 am
amother Coral wrote:
Sure
It all depends what you like to draw, with what medium etc.
If you give me an idea of your interests, I can recommend you tube videos.

Watercolors

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 1:46 am
I work with non profit fundraising.

I don’t make up testimonials. (If the client makes them up and sends them to me. I don’t want to know) I sometimes rephrase or edit them. But I try to keep them as true to the original as possible. On larger projects I have worked with other copy writers who basically write their own quotes. It’s not my thing.
In terms of matching fundraisers. Sometimes it’s funds they already have, and sometimes it’s people they have solicited in advance to be the matchers to that specific campaign. At the bottom of every campaign page I have ever worked with it says this campaign is flexible funding. The campaign will receive the total funds raised even if it’s not the total goal.

I have personally written copy for brochures ro motivate people to be the matchers for large campaigns. And part of the motivation is to encourage people to give and feel like they are getting more bang for their buck. And it does motivate certain donors.

To be honest. Some organizations are more scrupulous and honest. A few years back I was offered a monthly retainer to work for a non profit. It was my largest customer at the time. After a few months I wasn’t comfortable with the ethics of the company. (How much they said they helped others v how much they do help others) and I made the really difficult but I think ethical decision to stop working for them. Even though it was at that point usually a 1/3-1/2 my monthly income.

Bh since I left that company. My monthly earnings have never been higher. Hashem definitely had my back. I still see them fundraising and it makes me uncomfortable. But not my place.

On the other hand I work for really amazing organizations doing incredible work. I see first hand how they try to keep overhead low and really help as many people as possible.

A secret of non profit. Or like these huge amazing organizations pulled off these incredible fundraisers concerts dinners. Etc.

Nobody knows what they are doing. It’s often incredibly disorganized and last minute.
But then it’s spectacular and miraculous.

Also. Sometimes I see Hashem’s hand so clearly.
And there are people in our Jewish community who literally dedicate their lives to helping other people. And often it’s so under the radar.

I just started doing work for an organization and I have never heard of them and the work they do is so important and extraordinary. But they are terrible at marketing and fundraising. And they are literally selfless in trying to help others.

That’s maybe a different side of the coin.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 2:00 am
amother Dahlia wrote:
Watercolors

There's someone called The Frugal Crafter. She has a lot of videos for beginners.
I'm also a big fan of Kirsty Patridge. Her work is much more realistic and she works in many mediums.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 2:01 am
Cybersecurity here - barely anything online is safe these days, and cyber professionals are always playing the defensive, with cyber criminals on the offensive - they're way more motivated to come up with ways to get in and they're finding new ways to do it- we're lucky to catch that in time so it's not a catastrophe

Also, the government is a wreck LOL once you work for them you'll see how truly dysfunctional this country can be

And so true about tech jobs!!! 10% of the people do 90% of the work

amother
Clear

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 2:04 am
if you are a business seeking a bank loan you can most definitely get it on your own if you have the time and patience to do so
you do not need to use a business who makes money off of the loan they arrange for you

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 2:30 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Can you explain?
1) How do you work half as hard?
2) what does the union do that's so corrupt, and why do you hate them?

This post will answer the previous posters that also asked...

I should have started with a disclaimer that I don't teach in NY and I teach middle school math. That's a great combination. Elementary school teachers are worked to the bone preparing and teaching all subjects, Language Arts, Science, and Social Studies teachers have a lot more preparation and more manual grading than math, and high school teachers generally have it much harder with discipline. Middle school math is definitely the easiest age and subject.

1) Our frum teachers spend hours and hours preparing at home. Then they still have to deal with parents in the evenings! We get more than enough prep time at school to prepare excellent lessons and be in touch with parents. With all the changes in the last 10 years, the only thing I do is tweak lesson plans here and there. I haven't brought home a stitch of work in years. Everything is electronic so grades and report cards are all generated automatically. For report cards, I only have to add a number that corresponds to the comment selected from a pre-made list. That's all.

2) This post would be several pages long if I listed the reasons we hate the teachers union. Let me just cite one recent incident (relatively small) that highlights my point which shows they truly don't care about the students: I have a student that shows signs of struggling with long division so I gave her a pass to come back during lunch so I can practice with her. I was called to the carpet by the union rep that I can't do that anymore because working outside of contracted hours (I.e. during my lunch) is setting unrealistic expectations from admin for other teachers whose students are struggling. (Her suggestion was to refer the student to after-school tutoring, which is silly because I have the time, I know where her weak points are, and the students are happy to come back for help during lunch!) I can go on and on and on but I'll just say this: All the good teachers hate the union because they stand in the way of the students' progress time and time again. It's ridiculous how they tie our hands.

amother
Aster

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 4:37 am
A software that your business might use...
We don't offer phone customer support, only email because your issue might be a bug or you are really not using it correctly. We will check internally which means we capture your screen when you're on our site to determine if it's user error or a bug (which we won't ever refer to as a bug)

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 5:13 am
No one is making money in the frum magazine industry. Besides the owner.

wigboutique

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 5:32 am
I’m in the wig industry
1. There is NO SUCH THING as top lace made anywhere other than China.
If they say elsewhere “Italy” etc, that’s a lie!!!!
There is a small, tiny percentage of those who hand sew a top lace form scratch. It takes weeks upon weeks!!
Chinese do the work way quicker and cheaper and better quality! They have the experience!
2. “European” hair is just a name for the type of hair, it can be sourced from South America, Asia. It does NOT come from Europe, there is a nonexistent/marginal market in Europe.
The largest markets for hair:
- China
- Latin America (Brazil, Argentina)
- India
- Russia, Ukraine
- Uzbekistan
- Iran
- Turkey
- Vietnam

Last edited by wigboutique on Fri, Oct 06 2023, 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total

wigboutique

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 5:34 am
amother Rose wrote:
No one is making money in the frum magazine industry. Besides the owner.

That’s horrible to know! Especially as it takes SO much work to put out a magazine week after week! I feel a ton of guilt now for buying them. Frum magazine owners- step up the game and provide more pay! Stop being so greedy! If it’s really so bad, maybe consider striking!

DrMom

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 6:19 am
wigboutique wrote:
I’m in the wig industry
2. “European” hair is just a name for the type of hair, it can be sourced from South America, Asia. It does NOT come from Europe, there is a nonexistent/marginal market in Europe.
The largest markets for hair:
- China
- Latin America (Brazil, Argentina)
- India
- Russia, Ukraine
- Uzbekistan
- Iran
- Turkey

So what does "European" hair mean? I always thought it meant hair from someone of European descent.

I assumed that the source for European hair was mostly Ukraine/Russia/former Soviet bloc countries.

If European hair can mean hair from Chinese people (and not even Chinese people living in Europe Smile ), then it seems to have no meaning.

Are you saying that by definition, "European hair" can denote almost anything, or that the hair is illegally mislabeled so as to obscure the real source? [So you have Indian hair (from avodah zarah) being labeled as "European"...]

wigboutique

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 6:33 am
DrMom wrote:
So what does "European" hair mean? I always thought it meant hair from someone of European descent.

I assumed that the source for European hair was mostly Ukraine/Russia/former Soviet bloc countries.

If European hair can mean hair from Chinese people (and not even Chinese people living in Europe Smile ), then it seems to have no meaning.

Are you saying that by definition, European hair can denote almost anything, or that the hair is illegally mislabeled so as to obscure the real source?

Precisely!
It is just a name for the type of hair.
See here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=.....3aWdz
https://www.ohelsara.com/women.....ndia/
Unless you can go to your wig person and have them prove it comes from Russia or Europe, you have no way of knowing at all whatsoever if it’s truly European.

DrMom

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 6:36 am
wigboutique wrote:
Precisely!
It is just a name for the type of hair.
See here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=.....3aWdz
https://www.ohelsara.com/women.....ndia/
Unless you can go to your wig person and have them prove it comes from Russia or Europe, you have no way of knowing at all whatsoever if it’s truly European.

Yes, I know it is a type of hair. If somebody from Poland was living in India and she decided to sell her hair, the hair is still European, not Indian.

But if the wig industry is using Indian hair and labelling it as European, why is that not illegal?

Or are you acknowledging that it is illegal, but hard for the consumer to prove?

wigboutique

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 6:39 am
DrMom wrote:
Yes, I know it is a type of hair. If somebody from Poland was living in India and she decided to sell her hair, the hair is still European, not Indian.

But if the wig industry is using Indian hair and labelling it as European, why is that not illegal?

Or are you acknowledging that it is illegal, but hard for the consumer to prove?

I don’t know. I’m not a big company, I have a small boutique. I source my hair directly from Russia and Ukraine. I go there and also am able to cut hair from the girls on the spot. I also purchased hair from a Latin American yid who was able to confirm and source it directly from Latin America. He is frum so I trust him.

wigboutique

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 6:41 am
Halacha wise it’s totally not okay(according to me, I’m not a rav). But I see ads all the time that don’t reflect the reality. Some Rebbetzins I know pasken the Indian hair now is not a problem. Maybe they are getting away with it because it’s about the type of hair, not the origin . But of course, the regular consumer does not know this and assumes it is really from Europe.

DrMom

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 6:42 am
wigboutique wrote:
I don’t know. I’m not a big company, I have a small boutique. I source my hair directly from Russia and Ukraine. I go there and also am able to cut hair from the girls on the spot. I also purchased hair from a Latin American yid who was able to confirm and source it directly from Latin America. He is frum so I trust him.

So how do you know that big companies lie about the source of their hair?

(I don't wear a sheitel so I have no horse in this game. Just trying to understand your post.)
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics