Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
What food from your home country...
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Reality

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 8:21 am
juggling wrote:
There are two sizes of kedem grape juice sold in similar-looking bottles. Most stores have the 1.89 liter one. The ones in osher ad are closer to 3 liters (don't remember exactly).

I was in osher ad the other day and they had a special on the nice Israeli tirosh grape juice. Out of curiousity I checked the unit price on the tirosh as well as the kedem, and the kedem still came out significantly cheaper per 100 ml.

Once upon a time I used to buy Israeli grape juice because kedem was a splurge. For quite a few years now Kedem is priced cheaper than Israeli grape juice.

I never realized that. One less thing to feel guilty about, lol!

Reality

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 8:23 am
Elfrida wrote:
There must be somewhere in New York that imports it!

Don't know about shoko, but surely cottage.

I have never seen Israeli cottage cheese in any stores in Brooklyn. Definitely other cheeses but never cottage cheese. I think it would spoil too easily.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 8:28 am
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
Hellman's mayonnaise - used to spend extra for it. Then I found a local brand that is way better. I think Hellmans tastes like eggs now.
Seriously? Wow

juggling

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 8:54 am
Reality wrote:
I have never seen Israeli cottage cheese in any stores in Brooklyn. Definitely other cheeses but never cottage cheese. I think it would spoil too easily.

I agree Israeli cottage cheese is delicious. I think part of the reason is that it's way higher in fat than standard cottage cheese in America.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:05 am
amother Mocha wrote:
I bring American meat to Israel .. I find it hard to get good meat here. Also vanilla extract from Costco, and not food but toothpaste and makeup remover wipes from Costco Smile

What is special about American toothpaste?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:08 am
essie14 wrote:
I import the Trader Joe's spices - green goddess, chili lime, etc.
Only buy Heinz ketchup, we can't stand the Osem.
Also only buy American or European mustard.

My husband likes the different imported bbq sauces we can get here. The Israeli brands are very plain.
My kids like certain American cereals that we buy at Rami Levi.

When we are visiting the states we like to browse the supermarket aisles and bring back interesting things but I don't really ask people to bring us anything.
Between Amazon and iHerb and all the imported stuff available here, we do ok 😀

I don't like Osem ketchup, only buy it for Pesach because of kashrut. Yachin's ketchup is far better than Osem.

ima_bima

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:44 am
My parents post me good black teabags. My mom calls Israeli tea "piss water" Laugh

ima_bima

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:49 am
amother Dandelion wrote:
I'm a long-exiled Brit.
I miss Rakusens digestive biscuits, orange jaffa cakes, real dairy chocolate eclairs fresh from the bakery, iced buns, golden syrup, marmite and humzingers. Do they still make all those products in Blighty?
Cant believe I've been so many years without the above food!

Ooh now we're talking! I miss Cadbury chocolate. And jelly babies with the white powder on them. And buttered scones. Marks and Spencers do a catterpillar cake which is just.... no words...
My kashrut no longer allows any of these anymore Crying

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:08 am
To all you Kedem grape juice fans: Are you talking about the Concord Grape juice?

My family all think that tastes like grape bubble gum or candy, and is much happier with Carmel Tirosh, which tastes more like actual grapes (to us).

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:15 am
Reality wrote:
Opposite twist: What foods from your home country can you no longer eat after getting used to the taste from your new county?

We cannot eat American chumus anymore and the sweetened yogurts are way too sweet except for a few exceptions.

- Overly sweet American yogurts
- Bland, watery, oversized American cucumbers
- Runny, tasteless American cottage cheese

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:29 am
DrMom wrote:
To all you Kedem grape juice fans: Are you talking about the Concord Grape juice?

My family all think that tastes like grape bubble gum or candy, and is much happier with Carmel Tirosh, which tastes more like actual grapes (to us).

Kedem is concord grapes.
Caramel tirosh is very nice but haven't bought it in ages. We do OK with the cheapo grape juice.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:36 am
amother Taupe wrote:
I would pay a lot for herring under fur coat. There are no kosher options anywhere near me. I could make it myself, but it's a bit of a patchke and nobody in my family would eat it. I would totally overpay for it if I could buy smaller servings.

Please come back amother taupe. I’m trying to figure out what autocorrect means by herring under fur coat. Obviously other imas understood because they liked your post but all I can think of is herring under a fur coat.

What I miss most are Perl’s knishes. They don’t exist anymore not even in my very oot hometown. If there’s anyone here from there they’ll know.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 11:39 am
ima_bima wrote:
My parents post me good black teabags. My mom calls Israeli tea "piss water" Laugh

And people bring wissotzky tea as gifts!

ima_bima

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 11:52 am
Iymnok wrote:

Whaaaaat??
Clearly have never tasted English breakfast tea...

Reality

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 11:53 am
DrMom wrote:

Yes, we are all talking about concord grape juice. The Israeli grape juice is made with eating grapes that's the problem. NY state concord grapes are perfect for making juice not for eating. Kind of like Florida oranges are amazing for juice and California oranges are perfect for peeling and eating.

Reality

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 11:56 am
Iymnok wrote:

You can buy Wissotzky tea in RBS.

juggling

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 11:59 am
Reality wrote:
You can buy Wissotzky tea in RBS.

Wissotzky is the most ubiquitous brand of tea in Israel. I think she meant people bring it *from* Israel as gifts to people in chul.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 12:00 pm
Not supposed to speak Loshon Horo about products from Eretz Yisroel

ima_bima

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 12:03 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
Not supposed to speak Loshon Horo about products from Eretz Yisroel

Its OK my mom isn't Jewish LOL

amother
Burntblack

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 12:04 pm
If Israel sold the real cheerios....
We are constantly bringing from the states.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics