Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What was best thing you ate this yt?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Freesia

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:18 am
We had leftover challa even before yom tov started. It inspired me to make challa kugel. I added sauteed shallots and mushrooms. It was great, if I may say so.

almostlettinggo wrote:
Sounds yum! Can you please post recipe?

I cook like my grandmother - without strict measurements. If that works for you, enjoy this "recipe".
Pour hot water over half a medium sized challa and let it stand for several minutes. Squeeze to drain excess water.
Sautee 6 shallots until they are translucent. Add a tbsp of garlic powder to the frying shallots.
Check (for insects) one large box of baby bella mushrooms. Slice mushrooms and add to the frying pan with shallots. Cover the pan so the mushrooms shrink in size and liquid from the mushrooms fills the pan.
Shred the soggy challa with your fingers. Drain excess water. Pour the shallots and mushrooms (including the liquid from the frying pan) over the challa. Drain the excess liquid (I used it to boil rice in a different pot).

Add 3 eggs, 1/2 cup of oil, one snack size cup of applesauce (no sugar added) to the challa and mix. Bake at 350 until the top browns.

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:19 am
Knishes with mushroomless “mushroom” sauce (I’m allergic, anon because I’ve spoken about my mushroomless sauce IRL).

Honeycake!

Challah with honey.

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:23 am
Beef cheek loubia

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:37 am
All chef chayas recipes are yumm I wish she had a cookbook I have screenshots of her Tzimmis , honey cookies

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:44 am
I put up a fresh roast with onions and garlic and potatoes and carrots the second day of RH and it cooked in the oven for hours and was so delicious and hearty when we came home from shul.

boysrus

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:48 am
warm home made challah with honey. divinely delicious, thank you Hashem that I can taste it! three years ago we had covid and couldn't taste, smell or enjoy our food still over rosh hashanash...

amother
Lightcoral

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:56 am
Was a guest and they served Butternut squash muffins with a cinnamon crisp on top… Was divine!!
I’m debating if I should call our host for the recipe, I’m a bit shy

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:01 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
Was a guest and they served Butternut squash muffins with a cinnamon crisp on top… Was divine!!

She will probably be very very flattered. (Unless she bought them -- awkward!) LOL

amother
Feverfew

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:05 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
Best meal was last one. Standing tov roast, homemade french fries and crispy onions, broccoli and churros.

I happen to love leek patties, fresh dates, roasted beets.

how did you make the crispy onions?
and brocolli?
and churros?

amother
Feverfew

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:06 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:

I want the recipe Smile!!!

amother
Mintgreen

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:18 pm
Overtime cook's grilled corn and pastrami salad

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:40 pm
OP back. 2nd best thing (this one made by me) .....
Grilled chicken cutlets. I marinated them for a long time in fresh lemon juice, grated lemon rind, thyme and olive oil (sometimes I also add garlic). They were HEAVENLY. We actually ended up eating them for a 2nd meal instead of what was planned and I am planning on them again for sukkos.

amother
Feverfew

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
OP back. 2nd best thing (this one made by me) .....
Grilled chicken cutlets. I marinated them for a long time in fresh lemon juice, grated lemon rind, thyme and olive oil (sometimes I also add garlic). They were HEAVENLY. We actually ended up eating them for a 2nd meal instead of what was planned and I am planning on them again for sukkos.

do you have a proper recipe for this please?

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:54 pm
freshly fried chicken nuggets. was more enjoyed then any fancy reheated food.

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:55 pm
amother Feverfew wrote:
I want the recipe Smile!!!

Same!! Sounds so good!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:01 pm
amother Feverfew wrote:
do you have a proper recipe for this please?

Unfortunately I don't bc I made it up but I will try. I start with about 2 lb of chicken cutlets. I cut them into similar-sized pieces and put them in a big ziploc. Juice of one lemon, grated rind of same lemon (you have to grate the rind before you squeeze). Probably about a tsp of thyme. A Tbsp of olive oil or a little more. Sometimes I add garlic powder too - probably 1/2 tsp. Let this marinate at least 2 hours, shmooshing the bag every once in a while to make sure chicken and marinade are friends. Longer is better.
I grill them on a stove top grill but you can also broil them, in either case turning when they have nice grill marks.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:59 pm
Everything came up really good this year. I don’t even know what was favorite. The most standing out were probably challah, smocked breast of lamb, dolma, beet gravlax, fig leaves wrapped salmon, pan fried Chilian sea bass. For desserts - apple pie and honey custard tart. Everything made from scratch.

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 2:29 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
Everything came up really good this year. I don’t even know what was favorite. The most standing out were probably challah, smocked breast of lamb, dolma, beet gravlax, fig leaves wrapped salmon, pan fried Chilian sea bass. For desserts - apple pie and honey custard tart. Everything made from scratch.

Wow what is your background? Dolma is yum and I would love the fig leaves wrapped salmon recipe.

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 4:17 pm
InnerPrincess wrote:
Meatballs and scary good rice

What is the rice recipe?

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 4:29 pm
Bulgogi

Followed along a YouTube video and it came out sooo good!
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur