Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Spicy Sephardic Gefilte fish

Capitalchick

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 1:23 pm
Technically (ok...truly) this isn't a sephardic dish. BUT...every time I serve it, people say "Oh...you must make your gefilte fish this way because you're sephardic.
It's SO easy!!!

Buy a regular, frozen gefilte fish log and unwrap it which frozen. Place gefilte fish inside a loaf pan. I usually use Ungar's brand (without sugar).
Then I mix 1 tsp of harissa with about 1.5 cups of jarred salsa. Pour the salsa mix on top of the gefilte fish, trying not to let too much spill down the sides (it should just sit nicely on top).

Bake at 350 degrees for about 75 minutes.
Slice and serve. Delicious!

TheBeinoni

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 8:59 am
I make fish "ketzitzot" - balls which technically if you think about it are the same thing as gefilte fish! Just different flavors...

In a food processor, chop/blend fresh fish filets (I use tilapia), some fresh cilantro, parsley, a tiny bit of shredded carrot, celery leaves, lemon rind (tiny bit, just for a bit of brightness), salt, and spices to taste (you can add cumin, tumeric, a bit of allspice, but only add a bit. you want the mix to still be whitish). also add a bit of olive oil to make consistency smooth. (I hope im not forgetting anything as I dont have this one written down and dont make it all the time).

form into balls. place in baking dish (I prefer to use pirex for this recipe). in a small dish combine oil with lots of paprika till very red. pour over the ketzitzot. top with chunks of carrot, chickpeas, celery. I like to sprinkle some caynenne pepper on top.

great recipe when catering to sepharadim and ashkenazim in the same meal!

Capitalchick

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 11:16 am
hotmama wrote:
I make fish "ketzitzot" - balls which technically if you think about it are the same thing as gefilte fish! Just different flavors...

In a food processor, chop/blend fresh fish filets (I use tilapia), some fresh cilantro, parsley, a tiny bit of shredded carrot, celery leaves, lemon rind (tiny bit, just for a bit of brightness), salt, and spices to taste (you can add cumin, tumeric, a bit of allspice, but only add a bit. you want the mix to still be whitish). also add a bit of olive oil to make consistency smooth. (I hope im not forgetting anything as I dont have this one written down and dont make it all the time).

form into balls. place in baking dish (I prefer to use pirex for this recipe). in a small dish combine oil with lots of paprika till very red. pour over the ketzitzot. top with chunks of carrot, chickpeas, celery. I like to sprinkle some caynenne pepper on top.

great recipe when catering to sepharadim and ashkenazim in the same meal!

Are you supposed to bake this?? I thought the tilapia fillets you use are raw...but if you don't cook the fish at the end of the recipe, then I assume you're using cooked tilapia fillets??
Sounds delicious, though!

TheBeinoni

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 1:03 pm
ooops! silly me - I didnt finish the recipe! Banging head

I forgot to add a few things:

- I said to put oil in, THIS IS WRONG. instead put eggs in the mix.
- also, I like to roll the balls in eggs (beaten) prior to laying them in the baking dish to lightly coat them.

COOK at 350 until they start to become golden!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics