Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How do I deal w tenant above using washer/dryer at 1:30 am?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

watergirl

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 4:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
OP here.

Ive been living in the same 3 fam BP house for 40+ years with different tenants. Im landlord.

Some machines make more noise and some make less, but they all make noise. This specific machine makes a rythmic, repetitive boom boom as it washes, similar to all the other machines Ive heard over the years. Then the spin cycle, is OMG and very much shakes the house, like all the other machines.. Im definitely not overly sensitive to anything. If its daytime it isnt a problem. But this is happening very regularly at 1:30-2 am.

To summarize:

If in 40 years, no one in this 3 family house, including myself, has used their washer/dryer past midnight, other than 2-3 times a year (which I assume was for emergencies), was that a coincidence, or was it their good Midos?

If you are the landlord, why not just replace the machine with one that is more quiet??

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 4:37 pm
Sorry but that is what happens when you rent out space to another family. I do laundry when I need to- that's why I pay extra to have my own washer in my unit! I work all day (not some "full time is 9-3", I am out of the house from 730- 5:30). I should magically be able to fit all the laundry my family needs before 8 or 9pm? I have one kid who still wets the bed. An infant who spits up all the time, over everything and anyone. Kids who need uniforms. Dh and I need work clothes...
That's not counting saying hello to my kids, eating dinner, homework. .. I throw in a load at 6am and transfer before work. I throw one in after work... I am not your neighbor as I go to bed before 1am but honestly, if I need to do laundry I will do laundry!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 5:07 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
Sorry but that is what happens when you rent out space to another family. I do laundry when I need to- that's why I pay extra to have my own washer in my unit! I work all day (not some "full time is 9-3", I am out of the house from 730- 5:30). I should magically be able to fit all the laundry my family needs before 8 or 9pm? I have one kid who still wets the bed. An infant who spits up all the time, over everything and anyone. Kids who need uniforms. Dh and I need work clothes...
That's not counting saying hello to my kids, eating dinner, homework. .. I throw in a load at 6am and transfer before work. I throw one in after work... I am not your neighbor as I go to bed before 1am but honestly, if I need to do laundry I will do laundry!

Whats the latest you regularly use your machine? Does time matter at all?

amother
Black

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 5:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
OP here.

Ive been living in the same 3 fam BP house for 40+ years with different tenants. Im landlord.

Some machines make more noise and some make less, but they all make noise. This specific machine makes a rythmic, repetitive boom boom as it washes, similar to all the other machines Ive heard over the years. Then the spin cycle, is OMG and very much shakes the house, like all the other machines.. Im definitely not overly sensitive to anything. If its daytime it isnt a problem. But this is happening very regularly at 1:30-2 am.

To summarize:

If in 40 years, no one in this 3 family house, including myself, has used their washer/dryer past midnight, other than 2-3 times a year (which I assume was for emergencies), was that a coincidence, or was it their good Midos?

The washing machine might be on its way out. Our washer makes tons of noise (sounds like a helicopter taking off) and we were told it’s on its last legs. BH ot still works but any day now 😢
And it makes lots of noise when spinning and final spin is incredibly loud!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 5:12 pm
amother Black wrote:
The washing machine might be on its way out. Our washer makes tons of noise (sounds like a helicopter taking off) and we were told it’s on its last legs. BH ot still works but any day now 😢
And it makes lots of noise when spinning and final spin is incredibly loud!

This doesnt apply here.

Its a new tenant with new appliances.

Cookin4days

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 5:15 pm
Never ever did it it occur to me that doing the wash late might impact my neighbor.. she really might have no idea you can hear it/feel it

imaima

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 5:24 pm
amother Marigold wrote:

It’s not an excuse
You can own more clothes. You can do laundry till midnight. There is plenty of time. You can do laundry more times a week.
I don’t see why anyone might need to start a cycle in the middle of the night on a regular basis

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 5:33 pm
imaima wrote:
It’s not an excuse
You can own more clothes. You can do laundry till midnight. There is plenty of time. You can do laundry more times a week.
I don’t see why anyone might need to start a cycle in the middle of the night on a regular basis

YES!!!!!

Especially if they only have adult kids.

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 5:37 pm
amother Marigold wrote:

Paying rent does not give you the right to be bothersome to others. Having your own washer dryer comes with many conveniences, but doesn't come with the right to disturb people in the middle of the night.

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 5:40 pm
Op,

Just let your tenant know. They might be clueless. Tell them you're so happy to have them in the building, but you just want to let them know that the washer makes a lot of noise and to please avoid using it after whatever time.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 5:45 pm
I live in my own house.
If I were your tenant I would definitely want to know it disturbs you.
Don't assume she realizes it.
I do laundry at all hours of the day or night, depending on all kinds of things ...

groovy1224

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 6:47 pm
I don't understand this thread at all.

OP: how can I deal with this issue?
Responses: Talk to the tenant about it
OP: Well no, not THAT! I want her to know telepathically that it bothers me!

Like, come on now! What answer are you even looking for?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 6:50 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I don't understand this thread at all.

OP: how can I deal with this issue?
Responses: Talk to the tenant about it
OP: Well no, not THAT! I want her to know telepathically that it bothers me!

Like, come on now! What answer are you even looking for?

Youre comical and 100% right.

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 7:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
I cant bring myself to it, bec otherwise shes very nice.

You're going to ruin your relationship if you don't say something. Your resentment will grow and next time she does the smallest thing it will start the biggest fight.

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 7:39 pm
https://www.google.com/shoppin.....,cs:1

Buy this for them as a gift, and say it’s because you hear the machine at night…

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:34 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/14603207791087730495?q=washing+machine+rug+for+noise&safe=active&client=safari&hl=en-us&biw=744&bih=1026&tbs=vw:g&prds=eto:419120414062411353_0,cdl:1,prmr:1,rsk:PC_8713180820086787710,pid:2325931368476097200,cs:1

Buy this for them as a gift, and say it’s because you hear the machine at night…

Its the splish splash swoosh swoosh noise of the water doing the washing thats more noisy than the vibration.

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:56 pm
amother Sage wrote:
If the machine is leveled properly, it shouldn't be shaking or vibrating so the downstairs can hear or feel it. You need to get a professional to make sure it's installed and leveled well.

This. When we moved into our apartment our machine made a lot of noise and vibration, so I didn't do laundry in the evening as I didn't want to disturb the neighbours, when the machine needed to be repaired the guy pushed the machine further into the corner that it sits in and now it is much quieter and if I need a wash at night I don't feel uncomfortable doing it.

nelliesmellie

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:02 pm
Just tell her that the dryer is ok and ask if she doesn’t mind trying to have the washer finished by midnight because of the noise. 100:1 it never occurred to her

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:05 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
Paying rent does not give you the right to be bothersome to others. Having your own washer dryer comes with many conveniences, but doesn't come with the right to disturb people in the middle of the night.

Most states have laws about noise in multi-family dwellings, it’s call “quiet enjoyment.” You can’t actually make as much noise as you’d like.

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
YES!!!!!

Especially if they only have adult kids.

Maybe the adult kids are doing their laundry at night and they have no clue that it might bother you.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics