Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How do I deal w tenant above using washer/dryer at 1:30 am?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:06 am
It's basically mentshlichkeit not to use a wash machine located in bedrooms after 10 o'clock. Of course, if it's an emergency that's different.

Sound machines don't block the vibrations.

On a daily basis, just no

amother
Mintcream

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:07 am
amother Sage wrote:
I clean up the child then put everything in the wash, then go to bed.

Me too.

I hate the grossness sitting around.

Plus in the morning I'm rushing to work and when I get home I'm up to the next days laundry.

Anyway, I often do my regular laundry at night as that is when I get to it. I've only lived in my own house and a basement so I don't think anyone heard.

But it would not necessarily occurred to me that people can hear it. We barely hear it in my house.

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:09 am
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
It's basically mentshlichkeit not to use a wash machine located in bedrooms after 10 o'clock. Of course, if it's an emergency that's different.

Sound machines don't block the vibrations.

On a daily basis, just no

I don't agree with this. I barely hear my machine in my own house, I wouldn't think a neighbor can hear it. My neighbors midnight shower makes way more noise than my washing machine.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:09 am
Most machines have a delay option. It does not need to be running while people are trying to sleep.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:14 am
Thank G-d Im my own boss in my own living space. Why would you install a washer dryer that is on top of your head? Why do landlords in houses do something like this? It should be aligned with something else. I just don't understand. And then the landlord gets to dictate to you when you can do laundry. Go figure.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:39 am
Iymnok wrote:
Most machines have a delay option. It does not need to be running while people are trying to sleep.

the whole point of that is so my laundry is finished at 7am and I can transfer to the dryer right when I wake up.

Hence washing machine is running during sleeping time.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:14 pm
I have tenants below me, and for that reason never have laundry going after 8 pm.

amother
Petunia

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:16 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
Thank G-d Im my own boss in my own living space. Why would you install a washer dryer that is on top of your head? Why do landlords in houses do something like this? It should be aligned with something else. I just don't understand. And then the landlord gets to dictate to you when you can do laundry. Go figure.

This. When you rent a unit with a washing machine above your own bedroom- that’s just what comes along with it. You can’t dictate the washing times if you put thr machine there in the first place

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:20 pm
OP didn’t say she’s the landlord.

Op you can do the same as this guy https://www.linkingyourthinkin.....-body

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:26 pm
amother Sage wrote:
I don't agree with this. I barely hear my machine in my own house, I wouldn't think a neighbor can hear it. My neighbors midnight shower makes way more noise than my washing machine.

I have a washing machine next to the bedroom. My neighbor has a machine right over our bedroom. We hear the neighbors machine much more than ours in our house. The main problem is today's machines vibrate and you can't block that with a sound machine.

So, while it may be more convenient to you to wash laundry in the middle of the night, this is the price of living with other people considerately. Don't do laundry after ten routinely. Your neighbor won't object if you use it occasionally for an emergency if you are mentshlich in general

CPenzias

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:50 pm
Communicate or get a house

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 1:16 pm
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
I have a washing machine next to the bedroom. My neighbor has a machine right over our bedroom. We hear the neighbors machine much more than ours in our house. The main problem is today's machines vibrate and you can't block that with a sound machine.

So, while it may be more convenient to you to wash laundry in the middle of the night, this is the price of living with other people considerately. Don't do laundry after ten routinely. Your neighbor won't object if you use it occasionally for an emergency if you are mentshlich in general

If the machine is leveled properly, it shouldn't be shaking or vibrating so the downstairs can hear or feel it. You need to get a professional to make sure it's installed and leveled well.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 3:32 pm
OP here.

Ive been living in the same 3 fam BP house for 40+ years with different tenants. Im landlord.

Some machines make more noise and some make less, but they all make noise. This specific machine makes a rythmic, repetitive boom boom as it washes, similar to all the other machines Ive heard over the years. Then the spin cycle, is OMG and very much shakes the house, like all the other machines.. Im definitely not overly sensitive to anything. If its daytime it isnt a problem. But this is happening very regularly at 1:30-2 am.

To summarize:

If in 40 years, no one in this 3 family house, including myself, has used their washer/dryer past midnight, other than 2-3 times a year (which I assume was for emergencies), was that a coincidence, or was it their good Midos?

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 3:33 pm
If you're the landlord, you can say something. Have them call a professional to check the installation.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 3:35 pm
amother Sage wrote:
If you're the landlord, you can say something. Have them call a professional to check the installation.

I cant bring myself to it, bec otherwise shes very nice.

CPenzias

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 3:41 pm
You need to say something. Ask her nicely not to do laundry past xx time. She probably doesn't realize how loud it sounds. You're the landlord. I don't think it's an unreasonable request

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 3:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
I cant bring myself to it, bec otherwise shes very nice.

She may not realize that it makes so much noise. You can talk to her in a nice non confrontational way. It's not good to allow resentment to build up.

invisiblecircus

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 3:59 pm
I agree with those who say she probably doesn't realize. Does she have anyone living above her?

Our upstairs neighbours had their washer directly above our bedroom and they also used to regularly do their washing past midnight. It was extremely noisy and it often sounded as if they had something on top of the washer which fell off and clattered to the tiled floor on the spin cycle.

We couldn't hear our own washer anywhere near as much but because of our experience with that neighbour we are extra mindful of when we use our washer so as not to disturb our downstairs neighbours.

I'd speak to her nicely about it. You say she's nice, so she may even be grateful to be told.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 4:03 pm
I never knew a washing machine can disturb anyone....I am in my 40s
it probably does not occur to them.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 4:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
To summarize:

If in 40 years, no one in this 3 family house, including myself, has used their washer/dryer past midnight, other than 2-3 times a year (which I assume was for emergencies), was that a coincidence, or was it their good Midos?

Honestly, I'd chalk it up to different schedules...
That said, I'm off to ask my neighbour if she hears my washing machine.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics