Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
I need a new novel idea! WWY like to read about?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Oldlace

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 9:17 am
I'd love to read a version of the movie The Parent Trap. Exact same story, just Jewish.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 9:29 am
amother Junglegreen wrote:
I hear you don't want to do divorce, but what about a blended family?? How they make it work. Can they get the kids to like each other? Will they go to group therapy?? Can the exes be civil to each other? Will the new couple stand the storm? Stay tuned
Maybe talk to second timers for inspiration.

And if there is a fictional book on that topic, lmk.

I think "to be continued" I think by devorah Rand is about that

I think there might be another book as well but not sure.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 9:30 am
see I crossposted with a different poster about "to be continued"

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 9:32 am
"more or less" by devorah rand is also about a divorced couple, but the mother who is the main character isn't remarried. it's about her struggle to get custody since her ex has full custody with her just having supervised visitation.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 9:47 am
I would love a novel that normalizes diverse experiences. Where someone goes to therapy, but that's not the point of the novel. Where there's an older single, but we don't have to marry her off. Or someone's on medication, but that's just a side point. An uncle with religious differences who shows up but doesn't make a scene. I'm talking about tiny little scenes, even lines, in a novel with a different plot. I think that would be very validating.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 9:48 am
amother Violet wrote:
"more or less" by devorah rand is also about a divorced couple, but the mother who is the main character isn't remarried. it's about her struggle to get custody since her ex has full custody with her just having supervised visitation.

I didn’t know about this book. Is it new? I would really like to read it!

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 10:00 am
https://www.amazon.com/More-Le.....19588

there's actually a thread about it here
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....67496

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 10:05 am
to op I might be a minority but I like "feel good" books, books where you see people in the book connecting with other people, it can be romantic, it can be parent child, but it's the sense of connection.

CatLady

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 10:27 am
There's room for another Pride and Prejudice reboot - using the behavior of whatever group of Jewish people you'd write about immediately differentiates it from all the other P&P variants.

If you wanted to branch into women's fiction, I'd love to read a multigenerational saga about a family who comes to the US/Canada from Europe and traces their story throughout the years.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 10:28 am
amother Jetblack wrote:
I would love a novel that normalizes diverse experiences. Where someone goes to therapy, but that's not the point of the novel. Where there's an older single, but we don't have to marry her off. Or someone's on medication, but that's just a side point. An uncle with religious differences who shows up but doesn't make a scene. I'm talking about tiny little scenes, even lines, in a novel with a different plot. I think that would be very validating.

I realize this doesn't fully qualify but you might enjoy "rough diamonds" anyway. about a single dr. who ends up taking care of two boys while their mother is in the hospital.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 11:27 am
amother Ginger wrote:
The women who secretly moved into Beit Hadassah to resettle Chevron.

Yes! This would not even have to be fiction. The actual story is amazing. I'm related to the Levingers and I have the Hebrew children's book that was written by Miriam Levinger's daughter about the story but I don't think there is an English adult version - and there should be!

amother
Offwhite

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 11:53 am
amother Jetblack wrote:

I second this!

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 11:56 am
maybe a book about girl/lady with inattentive adhd ( mother from more or less probably had it ) or well masked autism.... there's a book about a divorcee whose ex had out of control adhd and ended up dating a guy who also had adhd but was functional with it, thinking of something like that for a girl, talks about the struggles but with a character that is still fairly "normal" if that makes sense.

jeg

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 12:33 pm
I would love to see something with a strong, confident, bada$$ female heroine. Maybe she is a firefighter or hostage negotiator or astronaut or brain surgeon and has no problem staying strong in her yiddishkeit at the same time.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 12:37 pm
jeg- in case you are interested I think there is a book about a couple who are detectives...

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 12:48 pm
Basically I like to read about frum women like me who had to deal with a challenge (like me 😊) and was able to overcome it.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 12:52 pm
amother Jade wrote:
There is a masterpiece of a book about this topic called “to be continued “. It was originally written in Hebrew for the Hebrew mishpacha magazine. It’s translated into English. If you are living this life it will definitely resonate with you. It really touched me. It’s not a popular topic to write about so I really appreciated it.

I haven't read it. What age is it geared to?
And there's another book on a related subject called Dollhouse.

amother
Navyblue

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 12:52 pm
jeg wrote:
I would love to see something with a strong, confident, bada$$ female heroine. Maybe she is a firefighter or hostage negotiator or astronaut or brain surgeon and has no problem staying strong in her yiddishkeit at the same time.

yeah! I see you beat me to it! I would also love to see a book about a strong Jewish woman! I get why people love the therapy type books, but honestly I find them so draining and depressing. I'd love books that are positive and upbeat. I have enough of my own problems, thankyouverymuch!

I'd also love to see Gordon Korman type books for kids. They explore such interesting topics with really vivid characters without romance or poor language. I love his books.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 12:54 pm
amother Violet wrote:
jeg- in case you are interested I think there is a book about a couple who are detectives...

Do you mean Ruthie Pearlman's Yael Ried books?

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 12:56 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I haven't read it. What age is it geared to?
And there's another book on a related subject called Dollhouse.

It is for adults. When I called it masterpiece I wasn’t referring to the actual writing method. I was referring to the real life content that hits home if you have a similar situation.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club