Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
I need a new novel idea! WWY like to read about?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 11:41 pm
amother Peachpuff wrote:
Those two words don't fit so well together for a book LOL

How in the world do you have a book geared to the Yeshivish population that involves romance but is %100 kosher?

How can a book intertwine romance while still adhering to the strict values of frum literature?

Also, why is this kind of book even necessary?!
Why do we need a frum novel involving romance? Should I even ask? LOL
(What type of people would even read it?)

Furthermore, what is the purpose or significance of a frum novel centered around romance? Is there a genuine need or demand for such literature within the observant Jewish community?

What is the rationale?

It's not that impossible, and nothing like unclean romance. Sun Inside Rain is the most commonly well known. There's no physical anything, but the relationship is clear between the lines.

GLUE

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 12:19 am
The thing I don't like with most Jewish novels that come out now-a-days is that they jump from person to person and time to time.
I don't like novels that you are reading Chapter 1-present day, Chapter 2-10 years before, Chapter 3-40 years ago, Chapter 4-back to present day

For historical fiction maybe?
-During Ezra time when the 2nd Bais Hamidish was build
-After the War of Independence in 1948 many Jewish were kicked out of Muslims land were they lived for 100's of years, such as Iraq, Libya, ect.. not much is written fiction or other, about that time.

shaqued_almond

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 12:35 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:

How in the world do you have a book geared to the Yeshivish population that involves romance but is %100 kosher?

How can a book intertwine romance while still adhering to the strict values of frum literature?

Furthermore, what is the purpose or significance of a frum novel centered around romance? Is there a genuine need or demand for such literature within the observant Jewish community?

What is the rationale?

I wrote one. I guess you'll tell me what you think whenever it gets published. One day bezrat Hashem

yachnabobba

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 12:35 am
Medical memoir fictionalized

GLUE

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 12:40 am
How about this? A group of boys get lost in the forest\cave\desert\ocean and they don't meet robbers\terrorists\or any other bad guys.
They go and rescue themself without meeting any bad guys, I found a grand total of one book like that. (A flight to seven swan bay).

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 12:41 am
GLUE wrote:
How about this? A group of boys get lost in the forest\cave\desert\ocean and they don't meet robbers\terrorists\or any other bad guys.
They go and rescue themself without meeting any bad guys, I found a grand total of one book like that. (A flight to seven swan bay).

Love that book. Like the Swiss Family Robinson

amother
Junglegreen

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 1:52 am
I hear you don't want to do divorce, but what about a blended family?? How they make it work. Can they get the kids to like each other? Will they go to group therapy?? Can the exes be civil to each other? Will the new couple stand the storm? Stay tuned
Maybe talk to second timers for inspiration.

And if there is a fictional book on that topic, lmk.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 1:55 am
GLUE wrote:

What about The Lost Children of Tarshish and it's sequel. I remember it as exactly the kind of book you are describing. I enjoyed it as a kid and now my own kids enjoy it too

amother
Mocha

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 1:56 am
amother Amaranthus wrote:
What about The Lost Children of Tarshish and it's sequel. I remember it as exactly the kind of book you are describing. I enjoyed it as a kid and now my own kids enjoy it too

Although they do meet up with terrorists... but it's not the main point of the book.

amother
Mocha

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 1:57 am
amother OP wrote:
It's not that impossible, and nothing like unclean romance. Sun Inside Rain is the most commonly well known. There's no physical anything, but the relationship is clear between the lines.

Even before that, Give Me the Moon is a pretty impressive "mainstream" romance novel.

mazelandbracha

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 2:37 am
amother OP wrote:
You should try my last book then...
https://www.feldheim.com/for-my-child-1

I absolutely loved your book! Please write another one. You are very good at historical fiction.

amother
Dill

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 2:50 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:

What is the rationale?

A lot of Marcus Lehman books were kosher romance... Probably written to give an alternative to popular secular books of the day. My grandmother read them as a girl growing up in Germany in the 1920s in the original German.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 3:04 am
A time travel would be really cool. Something like a frum version of outlander

I would love to see a historical fiction of jewish algeria and the expulsion/migration to france. It is a bit of a unique story in the sephardic experience and really unknown.

I would love to see something on Italian jews around the time of the Ramchal - also a unique story. Maybe a story on the couple who the Ramchal gifted the "Layesharim Tehilla". I always wondered what kind of intrigue prompted such a play.

How about the story of the jews and Mohammod? Never seen that - and it was pretty dramatic...

A cantonist story from the focusing on the perspective of the tensions it caused in the jewish community rather then only the cantonist.

A fantasy using frum sources would be epic. I actually know someone who wrote and never published a frum werewolf fantasy that was never published based only on midrashim and chazal. Would love to see more of that stuff.

amother
Acacia

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 7:31 am
Living with neighbors doing building work and absolutely not recognizing that you exist. Saga of two to three years and all the crazy ramifications. Happy to give specifics!

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 8:01 am
amother Junglegreen wrote:
I hear you don't want to do divorce, but what about a blended family?? How they make it work. Can they get the kids to like each other? Will they go to group therapy?? Can the exes be civil to each other? Will the new couple stand the storm? Stay tuned

I was going to suggest something like that.
An older single girl marries a man who has kids from a previous marriage. They have their own kids too.
Lots of emotions and issues to deal with but you can’t make it up. You have to speak to people who are living this complex life.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 8:31 am
amother OP wrote:

And there are other books with moments of romance, like Shortchanged (near the end, so can't say because of spoiler alert), ditto for This is America, a few lines in Freefall. Very subtle. Pretty satisfying.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 8:33 am
GLUE wrote:

We need wholesome books for middle school and high school GIRLS. Yes, conflicts, yes, some real stuff that maybe we didn't have to deal with or acknowledge a generation ago, but still, wholesome.

And please, copyedited.

That said, I love Jewish historical fiction. Please put in some strong women.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 8:39 am
amother Junglegreen wrote:

Something like this can be wholesome.
Here's a book, I haven't read it yet: https://www.israelbookshoppubl.....5.htm

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 8:43 am
The women who secretly moved into Beit Hadassah to resettle Chevron.

Tzfas in the time of the Arizal.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 9:00 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Something like this can be wholesome.
Here's a book, I haven't read it yet: https://www.israelbookshoppubl.....5.htm

There is a masterpiece of a book about this topic called “to be continued “. It was originally written in Hebrew for the Hebrew mishpacha magazine. It’s translated into English. If you are living this life it will definitely resonate with you. It really touched me. It’s not a popular topic to write about so I really appreciated it.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club