Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Shavuos Morning & Kids
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 12:40 pm
When the baby keeps me up ALL night, do I sleep in till 2 pm?
I really don't understand some men!

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 12:43 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
posting anon because I dont want to sound like a complete idiot. but I dont get the big deal. arent kids home shabbos afternoon? what do you do with your children then? why is finding a way to entertain kids of different ages such a "unique" and "pressing" issue specific to shavuos morning? how about entertaning kids every afternoon for a 3 day yom tov? how bout stam a sunday afternoon? lond summer shabbosim? I dont get it.

hello? theres no one on here who can answer my question???

I thought. DH will be sleeping late so a)she has no extra help and b)can't have others over bc she doesn't want to wake him.

on a typical shabbos/tom tov, this would not be the case.

justanothermother

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 2:33 pm
amother wrote:

When I am up all night with my baby DH arranges his schedule so I can take a nap at some point and he can watch the baby.

justanothermother

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 2:36 pm
shopaholic wrote:
Sorry - can't help. If DH does end up staying up, he still gets up at a reasonable hour so its not an issue.

I don't have this. DH does not get home Shavuos morning until after my little ones are already up. He then sleeps about five hours and then we have the meal together.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 2:39 pm
Dh comes home early morning, sleeps a couple of hours and then goes to shachris like a regular yom tov. He can take a nap like a mentch after the meal if needed.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 3:01 pm
OP here:
this is exactly why I posted anonymously... who wants to be made to feel like they are stupid for asking a question? If it's not difficult for you then col hacavod, but I feel like I am being put down because it is difficult for me...... and the difference between a regular Shabbos morning and Shavous morning is huge... normally my husband is gone for ~3 hours on Shabbos morning whereas here he will be "gone" for 7 hours or more! Long Shabbos afternoons are usually broken up by alternating naps and going out in the late afternoon after it has cooled off a bit... and we only have a 3-day Yom Tov when Rosh HaShanah falls a certain way, and I would be quite scared about that also...

On a different note:

I wanted to give a big thank you to mom23 for her wonderful advice... I bought a couple of cheap toys for each kid and I'm working on a child exchange with another mom on my street... also after I posted this a neighbor called me up and asked if I wanted to join in a Shavuos morning party with other neighbors down in the building's parking lot (which at least has some shade)...

thankfully I am feeling less dread and am hoping the morning will be full and the kids happy...

Chag Sameach to all...

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 3:01 pm
amother wrote:

Well, I'm glad I'm not married to you. What is this, a competition?

My dh comes home at about 7.30 am after learning and davenning, and then we eat our (milchig) YT meal. He sleeps until around 1 pm, then gets up for mincha and lunch.

What am I supposed to say? Well, sometimes I am up (all???) night too, and so what if I've slept tonight and you haven't. Go take the kids to the park.

I would also think a considerate husband would let his wife take a nap if circumstances allow if she's been up all night (nothing to do with Shavuos).

justanothermother

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 5:08 pm
amother wrote:
this is exactly why I posted anonymously... who wants to be made to feel like they are stupid for asking a question?...

Welcome to Imamother.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 7:47 pm
I'm really sorry, OP. I did not mean to sound so obnoxious. Now that I reread what I wrote, I see how it sounds so different than what I intended it to.

I was making a general statement about men and how we (as women) often go without any sleep all night and still work through the day, while they feel they need to sleep until mid afternoon because they were up one night.

Like Flowerpower, my Dh sleeps for a few hours when he gets back, and then goes to shul. Why don't you ask Dh if this would be an option for the future?

I'm glad you got some good advice. I'm sorry for my rude post.

Mommy F.

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 8:22 pm
You could borrow lots of new library books before yom tov. Get ones that are appropriate for all the different ages. Ex. board books for 2 year old, beginner books for 4 year old, a little bit older books for the 6 year old.

Sometime buying some cheap new toys can entertain them for hours. A new toy car for a boy, a new puzzle, or lego - it doesn't have to be expensive.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics