Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Turkey day
Previous  1  2  3  Next

When do you celebrate thanksgiving (USA)?
Thursday  
 32%  [ 16 ]
Friday night  
 4%  [ 2 ]
Shabbos day  
 2%  [ 1 ]
Never; I don't believe in it  
 61%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 49

chen

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 5:28 pm
ElTam wrote:
I thought it was tarnegol hodu for turkey, not just hodu.

technically, but called hodu for short.

shanie5

Post Mon, Nov 21 2005, 7:30 am
I'll be cooking 2 turkeys for thanksgiving this year. plus stuffing kugel , lemon garlic broccoli, apple pie, pumpkin cake, candied yams, crunchy cabbage salad..... and not getting to eat a bit of it. its all for t-day orders LOL

I usually make a turkey for friday cuz my kids love it, but I cant see making a big meal thursday and friday shock

Motek

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 6:13 am
chen wrote:
???? say what??? Turkey has nothing to do with any form of worship of a deity in New England.

as to the religious nature of this holiday and whether Jews can observe it or not, see this thread which provides a link to a halachic discussion about whether Thanksgiving is a secular or religious holiday:

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....p;sid

mommy2

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 4:18 pm
check this out!
Quote:
http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/view.pd?I=382219626&m=1652&rr=y&s

Mandy

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 4:23 pm
thanks I've been looking for that clip.

deedee

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 6:15 pm
I wasnt going to do anything this year (we usually go away with my family) but my grandmother wants to come over for dinner and it is also our (english) anniversary. in the "spirit" of the day we are going to elevate turkey legs with our brachos, and sweet potaotes with roasted marshmellows on top, green beans and of course pumpkin pie!!

buba123

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 9:39 am
chen wrote:
buba123 wrote:
. They were thanking their g-d - connected to turkey?

???? say what???

The Pilgrims were Puritans (a form of Catholicism) who celebrated Thanksgiving to thank their g-d. That is how it was started.

Just to think aloud - just because Thanksgiving became a national holiday, what about x-mas - that too became a national holiday. Many ppl. don't know that it's to celebrate Yoshke's B-day. Maybe just go along with the nation and celebrate it a bit since it is a national holiday. Ppl. forget the origins anyway! Twisted Evil

sarahd

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 9:59 am
Puritanism is a form of Catholicism???? Puritans thanked their G-d? Which one would that be?

Few people know that Xmas celebrates the birth of Yoshke??? Whom do you know who doesn't know?

red sea

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 11:01 am
Quote:

The Pilgrims were Puritans (a form of Catholicism) who celebrated Thanksgiving to thank their g-d. That is how it was started.

According to PBS documentary pple, tho the pilgrims were puritans and very religous is true, that original "meal" went like this : Puritans had prepared Sunday (their"shabbos" l'havdil) meal and then some Indians showed up where they lived to trade or something. So as not to insult them and to foster good relations these pilgrims invited them to stay and eat with them. The mood at the table was not one of joy or celebration, rather that of weariness of strangers and strain. As Chen said earlier, somebody or other decided to make it into a national holiday about 200 years later in 18 something or other.
So its source is not really religous except for that they deemed a holiday to thank g-d, which sort makes it religous, unless for those atheists of course.
So if you 'celebrate' like me, enjoy the good sales, the weekend off, and some of the good fresh food of the season for shabbos.

buba123

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 5:38 pm
sarahd wrote:
Puritanism is a form of Catholicism???? Puritans thanked their G-d? Which one would that be?

Few people know that Xmas celebrates the birth of Yoshke??? Whom do you know who doesn't know?

I was being very rhetorical Rolling Eyes
Puritans were celebrating by thanking their g-d.
And yes, I saw a show where many ppl. didn't know what x-mas was celebrated for (mostly ppl. that weren't smart- to say the least Exclamation )
But mostly I was just being rhetorical...

stem

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 6:27 pm
Quote:
somebody or other decided to make it into a national holiday about 200 years later in 18 something or other.

I believe it was good ol' Abraham Lincoln who instituted Thanksgiving as a national holiday.

gryp

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 7:49 pm
I actually heard today from a Rav that its a shailah whether or not youre allowed to celebrate Thanksgiving. it falls under the category of going in the ways of the non jews, and he said R' Moshe Feinstein talks about it at length.

tzivi

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 7:53 pm
Thanks RG. I have always been interested to know...

IndyMom

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 8:04 pm
I didnt realize there was a thread on this already. I have to catch up though. We don't "celebrate" thanksgiving like the non jews. No alcohol, no football. Just yummy turkey and seasonal foods like pumpkin pie and sweet potatoes.

tzivi

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 12:26 am
You can eat turkey any time of the year, no? Rolling Eyes

IndyMom

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 6:15 am
what I meant was, yes we do celebrate thanksgiving - but not like the non jews. Have you ever seen non jews celebrate thanksgiviing? at least aroudn here - it is all about the alcohol.

I tell my kids that we need to be thankful for a country that lets us practice our religion freely.

gryp

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 6:17 am
he actually said that if you are eating turkey or the traditional thanksgiving foods davka on thursday for thanksgiving, it is a question you have to ask your Rav. you can eat it on friday no problem.

Mandy

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 6:20 am
Quote:
Have you ever seen non jews celebrate thanksgiviing? at least aroudn here - it is all about the alcohol.

I don't know what kind of people you hang around with, but the celebrations of the nonJewish and secular people that I know are very varied. Most are respectful and dignified. Also, IndyMom, can you imagine what "non jews" perceive about Purim & Alcohol or Simchas Torah and alcohol ?

Here's a link to an article about this topic. It discusses the views of Rav Moshe and also Rav Yosef Soloveitchik.

http://www.myjewishlearning.co.....g.htm

I especially liked this part :
Quote:
Like many areas of Jewish law where there is a diversity of legitimate approaches, individuals should follow the practices of their community, family or rabbi, all the while respecting and accepting as halakhicly permissible other community's practices. It is for the ability to respect and accept as legitimate the conduct of fellow observant Jews--sanctioned by rabbinic authority--that true thanksgiving to the Almighty is needed.

IndyMom

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 6:36 am
I am just making an observation and not passing any judgement. It happens to be that the non jews around me celebrate with a lot of alcohol and that there is no alcohol at our "jewish" table. I am just saying that we are not celebrating like the non jews.

chen

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 10:11 am
tzivi wrote:
You can eat turkey any time of the year, no? Rolling Eyes

yes, but it's on sale in November.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days