Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Distortions in the name of chinuch
Previous  1  2  3

chaylizi

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 3:50 pm
I don't know how old we were when we first learned it, but we learned the 5th as tashmish hamitah. I don't know that a translation was provided though.

octopus

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 4:33 pm
I believe that there are principals that are very much against "distortions."

I am still upset that I never even heard of pilegesh b'givah, and then when it came to high school, the teacher expected us to know the story. I never knew it existed! It was completely skipped!

Crayon210

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 5:25 pm
That is a very hard story to teach to fifth graders.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 5:32 pm
I remember taking a melachim class in ma'alot after sem. we were learning about amnon & tamar. the teacher made a pre-class speech. something along the lines of this is probably the 3rd or 4th time learning this, but I bet you still don't know the whole ma'aseh. since you are old enough to get married, we are going to learn this the real way.

Motek

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 5:59 pm
shalhevet wrote:
I also am not sure they learn these particular mishnayos so young.

many do
it's not uncommon for bar mitzva boys to make a siyum on several sidrei mishna and even the entire Mishnayos

Quote:
But let's say they were taught 'by lying with her' - they probably wouldn't think any more of it.

but that's not what bi'a is
kind of pointless to teach halacha wrong

and there are plenty of other hard-to-explain halachos in Mishnayos that just won't work with the phrase "married"

Quote:
It is pretty irrelevant to ask these questions, the point of which is basically to say, 'how can an intelligent child swallow this when it's illogical'.

I would think it's very relevant to the teacher or parent who is teaching this parsha. They shouldn't be taken completely off guard if the child asks a valid question.

Quote:
I seem to remember a very close relation of Yehudah married someone without knowing who, at least according to the pshat. I dunno, but when I read Chumash I don't picture Avram and Sarai going round choosing a hall, band and flowers and checking out the caterer's kashrus.)

I don't understand what you're saying.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 6:01 pm
what I want to know is why some schools let 7-8th grade boys learn niddah. there are probably more appropriate things to learn at that age.

octopus

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 6:03 pm
The boys learn EVERYTHING and the girls version is either distorted or skipped.

If the torah would've been written by elementary girls' teachers, then major censorship and revisionism would've been done.

Motek

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 6:06 pm
chaylizi wrote:
what I want to know is why some schools let 7-8th grade boys learn niddah. there are probably more appropriate things to learn at that age.

What do you mean - they certainly don't learn that Gemara. That Gemara is not even learned later as part of the yeshiva curriculum.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 6:07 pm
um yeah, some school's do

Motek

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 6:11 pm
uh, no

maybe mishnayos, even that is not in the standard curriculum

unless you're talking about the Zilberstein method which covers everything, but it's not in standard yeshiva curriculums
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics