Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
When people mess with the English language...
  Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 12:03 am
NechaMom wrote:
DD says “firstable” instead of “first of all”. I correct her every time but she’s right back at it the next time she wants to say her list of reasons for anything. Confused

How old is she? if she's 4 or 6, it's adorable. If she's 17, not so much.

NechaMom

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 12:09 am
zaq wrote:
How old is she? if she's 4 or 6, it's adorable. If she's 17, not so much.

She’s still in the adorable category Smile

mazal555

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 12:14 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
As an editor, I spend my days cleaning up these messes.

My current pet peeves are a: using that instead of who, and b: people who misspell ridiculous.

But its rediculusly hard to spell.

balance

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 12:25 am
penguin wrote:
What is with the word screamed? Or screamt?

(Someone on Quora says that the latter is the Shakespearian usage.)
I hear people saying SCRAYMT.
Um, no. It's 'ea' like in cream. Even if it's past tense.

Does it come from Yiddish? Or what?

Anyone else disturbed by this?

My South African husband says screamt pronounced like meant or dreamt. I never heard it anywhere else.

Rebesq

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 5:12 am
Can you Higher the heat?!!
Elicit instead of illicit. Caught that in someone’s Dave Torah once!
I feel very resonated?! Don’t even know what they’re trying to say. Your feelings resonated with me maybe?

corolla

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 5:37 am
Rebesq wrote:
Can you Higher the heat?!!
Elicit instead of illicit. Caught that in someone’s Dave Torah once!
I feel very resonated?! Don’t even know what they’re trying to say. Your feelings resonated with me maybe?

When people mix up affect and effect.

moonstone

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 6:10 am
"Stuff" is a non-count noun, so it takes a singular verb: My stuff is missing.

But I keep reading posts here where it's treated as a plural noun. Today I saw this: "... their stuff aren't being seen ...".

Rebesq

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 6:15 am
This may make me a “judgy” (umm…judgmental) person but what’s with the accent in the yeshivush community (where I live)? “Care” and “pear” are not pronounced with a long a (or close to it) but with a long e as in “fear”. Drives me nuts

Rebesq

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 6:17 am
Deleted

cupcake123

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 6:33 am
Rebesq wrote:
This may make me a “judgy” (umm…judgmental) person but what’s with the accent in the yeshivush community (where I live)? “Care” and “pear” are not pronounced with a long a (or close to it) but with a long e as in “fear”. Drives me nuts

That is not a grammatical error but a dialectical difference

Rebesq

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 7:08 am
Agreed. But this thread caused me to think of it.

Rebesq

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 7:10 am
Oh - I once had someone tell me that I’m using the word discrete incorrectly (I said that’s a discreet issue). I told her I was saying discreet and not discrete. She didn’t believe me there was such a word

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:18 am
Rebesq wrote:

Are you British? Because where I come from--NOT yeshivish, fairly (not fearly) standard Middle Atlantic US -- care, bear, pear, chair, hair and fair rhyme with air, not a long A but something close to " yeah" plus an R. Fear, dear, near and clear rhyme with cheer, beer and deer.
Only among the yeshivish crowd do I hear (pronounced here) people say it's not " fear," (fair) they took my "cheer" (chair).
Oh, wait-- are you griping about "it's not fear" or claiming that this is the correct pronunciation? Am I preaching to the choir?

Rebesq

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:28 am
That is exactly what I mean. There’s no such thing as “fair” - both fair and fear are pronounced fear.

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 11:40 am
Rebesq wrote:
That is exactly what I mean. There’s no such thing as “fair” - both fair and fear are pronounced fear.

WRONG! At least where I come from. Maybe where you come from this is the local accent. You're allowed. That's the yeshivish pronunciation, iow non-standard, where I come from. Go visit New York City. Not Williamsburg--midtown Manhattan. Washington, DC. Los Angeles. LISTEN to news announcers on the radio. READ the pronunciation guide in the dictionary. The difference between "fear" and "fair" is perhaps too subtle for people from your hometown to hear. If you grew up where folks talk this way, you won't be able to distinguish between these sounds, same way I can't tell the difference between K and Q sounds in Arabic because in my native tongue there is no such distinction.

Now people from some parts of the US pronounce "Mary" "Merry" and "Marry" the same way. Maybe you're one of them and pronounce them all as "Meery." Where I come from, these are three very distinct sounds and nobody would confuse them. And that's OK! Just as in Yiddish you might call a cow a koo while I call a cow a kee, and to you "vee" means "where" while to me "vee" means "how," "where" being "voo." It's not wrong, it's a different accent. You might even call it a different dialect.

So quit being huffy and thinking YOUR English pronunciation is perfect. Where you come from, it may be, but where others come from, it's ...WRONG! Just as wrong as you claim theirs is. Capisce?

Rebesq

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 11:57 am
No need to take this so seriously. What I mean to say is that I think it’s ridiculous that the yeahivish world has created their own pronunciations. They don’t differentiate

Chaya123

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 12:00 pm
principle instead of principal or vs

socialbutterfly

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 12:07 pm
corolla wrote:
When people mix up affect and effect.

This was my life on every single essay I wrote in high school 🤦🏻‍♀️ was never able to get it down. And I’m a decent writer lol

penguin

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:11 pm
Recent thread: If your husband IS Hatzolah. I suppose you meant to say he's a member of Hatzolah or is part of Hatzolah or even (shudder) is ON Hatzolah.

Like when you say your daughter IS GO. Well perhaps she is head of GO. Or one of the heads. When did it become acceptable to say she IS GO? Would you say she IS play? Or she is Chessed? No, she's Chessed head, right?

This REALLY gets on my nerves. I need to get a life, I suppose...

anonymous mom

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:29 pm
Oh my! Don't get me started!

She's second grade- She's in second grade
He's two month old- two months old
Than instead of then
Where, we're, we're
By the store- at the store
You're, your
There, their, they're - please go back to 4th grade!!
In regards to- in regard to
Person that- person who
Page 10 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics