Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
RBS - Problems?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 2:37 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Not at all. I have friends in mishkafayim and rbs a who are exactly american yeshivish. And they love it there. And they make it work just fine.

What about their kids? So many of the American kids in my high school class hated the system and were so confused. Lots of them aren't religious now.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 2:42 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
What about their kids? So many of the American kids in my high school class hated the system and were so confused. Lots of them aren't religious now.

Mishkafayim is only 3 years old, but I know MANY adults who came on Aliyah as children, from yeshivish families, and they are perfectly religious and well adjusted.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 2:44 am
The schools you mentioned above for American yeshivish families are they private schools or under misrad hachinuch? Which curriculum do they follow, regular misrad hachinuch or a beis yakiv curriculum?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:15 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
The schools you mentioned above for American yeshivish families are they private schools or under misrad hachinuch? Which curriculum do they follow, regular misrad hachinuch or a beis yakiv curriculum?

Thank you for asking. As far as I understand, they are private schools (parents pay tuition, and pay extra for first year services like ulpan). I don't know the difference between a Bais Yaakov and misrad hachinuch curriculum, but I would like to be educated. These are schools which were started specifically for the children of olim, some do not even accept Israeli children...

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:31 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Mishkafayim is only 3 years old, but I know MANY adults who came on Aliyah as children, from yeshivish families, and they are perfectly religious and well adjusted.

And can they live anywhere else but RBS? What shuk do they go to? What society do they function in?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:35 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
And can they live anywhere else but RBS? What shuk do they go to? What society do they function in?

As I said above, I know many many people who came on aliyah as children to RBS and went to the so-called "American" schools and they are all just fine. Army, sherut leumi, some married real Israelis - like the in laws don't speak English kind of Israelis, and they live all over the country.
They function in society just fine.
Of course they can live in places other than RBS.

Success10

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:37 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
As I said above, I know many many people who came on aliyah on children to RBS and went to the so-called "American" schools and they are all just fine. Army, sherut leumi, some married real Israelis - like the in laws don't speak English kind of Israelis, and they live all over the country.

Did any of them integrate into mainstream Chareidi society?

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:38 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

It all depends on the family and how well they integrate. There are families who are here and go back to US to shop for their kids wardrobes but most families learn to adjust and appreciate life here!

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:39 am
Success10 wrote:

Yes, I do know some who did. For most people I know, though, that is not necessarily the goal.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:40 am
Success10 wrote:

I know several families who did!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:40 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
As I said above, I know many many people who came on aliyah as children to RBS and went to the so-called "American" schools and they are all just fine. Army, sherut leumi, some married real Israelis - like the in laws don't speak English kind of Israelis, and they live all over the country.
Of course they can live in places other than RBS.

If the children learn to speak Hebrew, which is taught in the RBS American style schools, why wouldn't this be the case? I can someone please give me a thorough list of what the differences between the "Chareidi system" and the "American Yeshivish" system would be? Is it just that Israeli Chareidim don't receive much higher level secular education or college education? And thank you again to everyone for their helpful replies.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If the children learn to speak Hebrew, which is taught in the RBS American style schools, why wouldn't this be the case? I can someone please give me a thorough list of what the differences between the "Chareidi system" and the "American Yeshivish" system would be? Is it just that Israeli Chareidim don't receive much higher level secular education or college education? And thank you again to everyone for their helpful replies.

My kids have friends whose parents fly back and forth all year long (pre-Covid obviously). The entire family spends all summer in America and possibly Pesach as well.
These kids do not integrate well, obviously, because they don't give Israel a chance.
It's not typical at all.
Most olim kids in RBS learn Hebrew and integrate just fine. I don't think they want to become mainstream Chareidi. I think the kids are happy to continue the basic lifestyle they grew up with. Men and woman both work, limited internet access but not completely cut off from the world, etc.

Real Israeli chareidi means limited education, limited career opportunities. There are plenty of born and bred Israelis who live an "American yeshivish" lifestyle as well. I have many neighbors like this. They go to chareidi higher education institutions and can get well paying jobs. They all have internet in some fashion. The women wear expensive clothes and wigs. This is not mainstream Israeli chareidi.
For example, RBS A chareidi vs RBS B chareidi.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:56 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
My kids have friends whose parents fly back and forth all year long (pre-Covid obviously). The entire family spends all summer in America and possibly Pesach as well.
These kids do not integrate well, obviously, because they don't give Israel a chance.
It's not typical at all.
Most olim kids in RBS learn Hebrew and integrate just fine. I don't think they want to become mainstream Chareidi. I think the kids are happy to continue the basic lifestyle they grew up with. Men and woman both work, limited internet access but not completely cut off from the world, etc.

Real Israeli chareidi means limited education, limited career opportunities. There are plenty of born and bred Israelis who live an "American yeshivish" lifestyle as well. I have many neighbors like this. They go to chareidi higher education institutions and can get well paying jobs. They all have internet in some fashion. The women wear expensive clothes and wigs. This is not mainstream Israeli chareidi.
For example, RBS A chareidi vs RBS B chareidi.

Thank you so much for that clear explanation. It sounds like "Chareidi" is very nuanced, just like the term "Yeshivish" here in America. These terms have become a catch all for "very frum," with many subtypes under the umbrella, whereas years ago, they were less nuanced terms.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 10:11 am
Chareidi girls get a good secular education. Boys generally have less. Chareidi girls can get jobs in many different industries.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 10:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so much for that clear explanation. It sounds like "Chareidi" is very nuanced, just like the term "Yeshivish" here in America. These terms have become a catch all for "very frum," with many subtypes under the umbrella, whereas years ago, they were less nuanced terms.

Yes, it has become a very large spectrum.
You will get a feel for it more and more every year that you live here. I'm not sure if you mentioned the ages of your kids but you can always switch schools when you find what's best for your family.
Eg: if you start to feel more comfortable in a DL Torani circle, etc.

Success10

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 10:19 am
Iymnok wrote:
Chareidi girls get a good secular education. Boys generally have less. Chareidi girls can get jobs in many different industries.

Agreed. If I could summarize the main areas where US Yeshivish and mainstream Chareidi differ, it would be:

- Attitudes towards men working vs. Kollel
- Nuances of tznius (stockings, sheitel length)
- Policy regarding open access to technology

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 4:33 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
In mishkafayim, I only know people who have babies. But in rbs a I know people who grew up in the community with american yeshivish parents and they are fine now. All grown up, with families of thir own. And I know people who have kids in different schools now as well and everyone is fine.
I think olim kids being confused has a lot more to do with making aliyah as kids and just moving to a different culture. No matter how american it might be for olim, its still NOT america, so Israeli culture seeps in no matter what.
And in terms of kids going off the derech, that happens in every single community, not juts american yeshivish.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 4:38 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
It's just how it is. RBS was built by people who didn't like the Israeli system and said we are going to make a place like the USA and didn't do it with any daas Torah.

Lots of people do have rabbanim but lots of people Israelis and Americans comes to RBS to be more modern and escape the rules of chareidi society and to ignore daas Torah.

There's a few rabbanim that came here after the fact and try to run it and help the community but there really is no community hadracha at all. It's diverse with many modern orthodox people, many types of chassidim etc.

But RBS wasn't built with any daas Torah. There wasn't anyone rabbanim who helped found the neighborhoods at all
Gray, I know that I already replied to this, but this was bothering me earlier.
I was wondering, where did you get this information from? Or is this just assumed with olim from america now a days?

therealdeal1

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 7:42 pm
Hi I was wondering if anyone can give me an update on the community of mishkafayim? wondering what the crowd is and if its super american or mixed? also the age range of the families. and how would it compare to neve shamir at this point?

salt

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 5:33 am
therealdeal1 wrote:
Hi I was wondering if anyone can give me an update on the community of mishkafayim? wondering what the crowd is and if its super american or mixed? also the age range of the families. and how would it compare to neve shamir at this point?

You are better off starting a new thread.
People will read the original OP and respond to that, and not necessarily see that your post is new.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions