Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
RBS - Problems?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 6:52 am
Every community has pedophiles. There was a lot of stories happening 5-7 years ago but they were dealt with and thing have been better. Again you need to educate your kind es and not let them live on the streets. If you are comparing RBS to jerusalem then no RBS doesn't have more pedophiles

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 7:16 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Half of Mishkafayim and Alef are "American yeshivish". They are not Israeli chareidi at all, nor DL.

You can call yourself whatever you want but when you have children and it comes to schools the system does not have American yeshivish schools. You need to integrate.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 7:58 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
You can call yourself whatever you want but when you have children and it comes to schools the system does not have American yeshivish schools. You need to integrate.

My neighbors all send to these schools
Darchei Noam
Bnos Malka
Pninei Chen
Magen Avot

They call themselves American yeshivish and the kids integrate just fine.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 9:17 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Darchei Noam
Bnos Malka
Pninei Chen
Magen Avot

Those are more modern yeshivish. All the kids their are exposed to secular media and smartphone. If you don't want that then there's no options.

Also these kids don't integrate well as adults. And are stuck living in RBS and sending their kids to the same schools. They have no other options.

Also Pninei Chein is a small school. They want it to stay that way. What happen if your daughter doesn't get in? What do they do after high school? Where do they end up? There's so many loose ends.

The solution isn't just sending your kids to these schools with no integration.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 10:04 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Darchei Noam
Bnos Malka
Pninei Chen
Magen Avot

Don't forget Netzach and all the different flavored boy schools that cater to almost every mix and match of american, yeshivish and modern flavor.

@gray, the boom of schools here just shows that this community is vibrant and growing. Nobody needs to feel second or out of place place in the Israeli society anymore. We are already showing THEM how things should be done and many Israelis are begging to get into these schools for this reason. No wonder this is the fastest growing city in all of Israel.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 10:18 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Don't forget Netzach and all the different flavored boy schools that cater to almost every mix and match of american, yeshivish and modern flavor.

@gray, the boom of schools here just shows that this community is vibrant and growing. Nobody needs to feel second or out of place place in the Israeli society anymore. We are already showing THEM how things should be done and many Israelis are begging to get into these schools for this reason. No wonder this is the fastest growing city in all of Israel.

It's doesn't matter who is right and if the system is broken. Your children will not be able to fit in anywhere else in the country. Even in Bet Shemesh its difficult and you will have hard time with the limited schools that still aren't neccesarily a good fit for all Americans.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 10:23 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
It's doesn't matter who is right and if the system is broken. Your children will not be able to fit in anywhere else in the country. Even in Bet Shemesh its difficult and you will have hard time with the limited schools that still aren't neccesarily a good fit for all Americans.

I respectfully disagree. I made Aliya as a kid. My friends that went to these schools are perfectly integrated today. Each one has chosen his/her different own career and path of hashkafa, but they are all gems.
And today the situation is even better than it was 15 years ago since there are so many of us! American Israeli second generation kids have proven to be the cream of the crop. Middos and D"E together with the grit and resilience Israeli kids are known for.

Magen and Netzach are 50% Israeli kids. That is the biggest proof that this is working!

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 10:25 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

I disagree.
I know many children who went to the so-called American schools, and even to YTA and Ohr Moshe, who are integrated, doing army service/SL, married to people from outside RBS, and live all over the country.

Firebrick, right! I forgot Netzach! Thanks Smile

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 10:31 am
We're in Mishkafayim and sent to the schools that you sent to. my son has finished the army and is seriously dating an Israeli girl. I'm not saying the system works for everyone but for our family this has been perfect because we are not your typical black hat Israeli family.

tree of life

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 10:39 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I disagree.
1. You can have a soft landing in other cities.
2. Kids are expected to learn Hebrew in RBS and integrate with Israelis.
3. Why wouldn't you want your child to speak Hebrew?

Can I give some advise we moved ten years ago were 7children ranging from 16 to 1 we started of in yerushlyim it was very difficult for children and. Especially us parnets as it's a new country new life style it's important to be comfortable kids learn Hebrew in school we have been here ten years my kids speak English and Hebrew both perfect at home I'm strict they speak to us in Hebrew especially as they grandparents and relations that only speak English.having two languages in Israel is great for job prospects to have two languages

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 11:30 am
I want to thank everyone for their responses. I am so appreciative, because this discussion has given me a complete picture of what RBS really is...a large city like Brooklyn, with many types of people, but my family will definitely find its "type" and neighborhood within the city. I am not against my kids learning Hebrew, of course, but I want them to feel comfortable and not like they landed on Mars while they adjust. We are considering the American yeshivish-style schools listed (Magen Avot, Darchei Noam, Bnos Malka, etc), and I am wondering if teachers in THOSE schools are screened. Is it generally a parent body educated in American style child safety protection that would demand screened teachers? I am also wondering if I will find a like-minded parent body that would walk their kids places, watch them in the park, and never let them stay out all night, for example? Thank you!

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 11:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I want to thank everyone for their responses. I am so appreciative, because this discussion has given me a complete picture of what RBS really is...a large city like Brooklyn, with many types of people, but my family will definitely find its "type" and neighborhood within the city. I am not against my kids learning Hebrew, of course, but I want them to feel comfortable and not like they landed on Mars while they adjust. We are considering the American yeshivish-style schools listed (Magen Avot, Darchei Noam, Bnos Malka, etc), and I am wondering if teachers in THOSE schools are screened. Is it generally a parent body educated in American style child safety protection that would demand screened teachers? I am also wondering if I will find a like-minded parent body that would walk their kids places, watch them in the park, and never let them stay out all night, for example? Thank you!

Yes, you will find your place in RBS.
Yes, you will find like minded parents in these schools. Everyone I know who sends to these schools are "American type" parents who watch their kids in the park, etc. I don't know about the hiring practices in these schools.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 11:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Lol. RBS is sooooo diverse. I once commented to my black hatted DH that when I walk around with him in RBS with my flip flops and whatever I am covering my head with that day, we don't even get a glance. When I go to JM we suddenly get so many stares and I realize how grateful I am to live in RBS where I don't have to explain to anybody who we are...
And no @gray, my kids are not exposed to secular media even though we do have smartphones and their schools are giving classes via zoom (as apposed to standard Bais Yaakov that is not.)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 11:58 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Yes, you will find your place in RBS.
Yes, you will find like minded parents in these schools. Everyone I know who sends to these schools are "American type" parents who watch their kids in the park, etc. I don't know about the hiring practices in these schools.

Thank you!

If any future posters could comment on the hiring practices in these schools I would appreciate it. I will assume that the problem RBS ganenets and teachers were not in these schools unless someone posts otherwise.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 4:56 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
It's just how it is. RBS was built by people who didn't like the Israeli system and said we are going to make a place like the USA and didn't do it with any daas Torah.

Lots of people do have rabbanim but lots of people Israelis and Americans comes to RBS to be more modern and escape the rules of chareidi society and to ignore daas Torah.

There's a few rabbanim that came here after the fact and try to run it and help the community but there really is no community hadracha at all. It's diverse with many modern orthodox people, many types of chassidim etc.

But RBS wasn't built with any daas Torah. There wasn't anyone rabbanim who helped found the neighborhoods at all
Its always interesting to me when people write how they believe RBS was started.
Did you know tha RBS started in the 1990's and that it was actually supposed to be secular cheap housing?
NOTHING to do with americans at all. Nothing to do with making a place like america (where did you hear that?) There are so many israelis and NON americas who live in rbs that have no kesher with the american life or mentality.
And no, many many many charedim come to live in rbs because they know it is a nice town for charedim.
And it wasnt built wit daat torah because the communities were built AFTER people were already living there. It was sooooo much smaller way back then. A different thought to what it is now.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 4:57 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I thought RBS was Chareidi?
Mostly but not 100%.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 5:01 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
You need to decide to be chareidi or Dati leumi. You cannot just be American yeshivish. Your kids will not fit in and their schools will confuse them. This is. Different system. You need to make a decision to integrate or your kids will go to school and be told their parents aren't frum enough and you at home will tell them the school rules are narishkeit and that's what confuses them and makes them go off the derech.

RBS is a mix. Lots and most American parents do watch their kids ans don't let them stay up all night. There's people who do and don't. With parenting kids there's always parents who alow more more or less.
Not at all. I have friends in mishkafayim and rbs a who are exactly american yeshivish. And they love it there. And they make it work just fine.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 5:07 pm
With regard to predators I think we had some links to an Israeli investigative show about Sanhedria etc. (At least, might have first come to light in Nachlaot, but it seems it was found all over.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 7:30 pm
I know 2 families in Mishkafayim. They are both English speaking but neither is yeshivish. The husbands don't wear black hats and they wear colored shirts. The wives do cover most of their hair but leave some out in the front. I don't think they are considered DL either. They're like Flatbush type but more out of town. What is that called - Baalebatish?

I know 5 families in RBS gimmel who are definitely more American-yeshivish and they send their kids to chareidi schools. The husbands learned for a while and now work.

I know a lot of families in Aleph (more than I can count) and they run the gamut from MO to yeshivish to chassidish to Breslov.

All the people I know there are super nice and friendly, with great middos. I like them all!

What I will point out is that all the families that did not identify as chareidi, even if they are more similar to chareidi than to DL, ended up with some kids that identify as DL/Mizrachi. So for example, the mothers fully cover their hair, elbows, knees and collar bones, but many of their daughters don't. The husbands would never show up to a wedding not wearing a suit and tie, but their sons will come in sandals and tan pants/shorts.

Your kids are going to choose a segment of Israeli society to be part of and you have to accept that even if you don't choose anything specific, they will. And by you not choosing, you are leaving every option open to them.

(Signed, an American Ima who moved to Israel more than 15 years ago)

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 11:50 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:

What I will point out is that all the families that did not identify as chareidi, even if they are more similar to chareidi than to DL, ended up with some kids that identify as DL/Mizrachi. So for example, the mothers fully cover their hair, elbows, knees and collar bones, but many of their daughters don't. The husbands would never show up to a wedding not wearing a suit and tie, but their sons will come in sandals and tan pants/shorts.

Your kids are going to choose a segment of Israeli society to be part of and you have to accept that even if you don't choose anything specific, they will. And by you not choosing, you are leaving every option open to them.

(Signed, an American Ima who moved to Israel more than 15 years ago)

Your kids will choose their own path no matter what you think you are choosing for them. no matter where you live.
I know people who consider themselves Israeli chareidi and their kids are completely chiloni. I know people who are chiloni whose kids are DL.
I know DL parents with chareidi kids.
That has NOTHING to do with RBS or choosing a label for yourself.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions