Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How would I know if dd is down syndrome?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 9:37 pm
fish123 wrote:
I know this isn't the point of the post but people don't have babies that are Downs, a person can't have a child that is or isn't Downs. Sometimes people have children with Downs Syndrome or that [/I]have[I] Downs.

I guess its my OT training that makes me sensitive to using "person first" language, but I think we should all try to consider it when we talk about anyone with any type of developmental diagnosis or any type of medical condition. There is more to that person than just the condition they have, it doesn't define them.

I'll step off my soap box now Smile

thank you, finally!! I've been waiting for someone on Imamother to say that already for AGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 9:22 am
BTW the only way to be sure if a child has or doesn't have DS is to do a skin test which is very painful. Even a blood test is not accurate.

YALT

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 12:59 pm
but at 14 months, it would be quite obvious if a child had it, no?

ss321

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:
fish123 wrote:
I know this isn't the point of the post but people don't have babies that are Downs, a person can't have a child that is or isn't Downs. Sometimes people have children with Downs Syndrome or that [/I]have[I] Downs.

I guess its my OT training that makes me sensitive to using "person first" language, but I think we should all try to consider it when we talk about anyone with any type of developmental diagnosis or any type of medical condition. There is more to that person than just the condition they have, it doesn't define them.

I'll step off my soap box now Smile

thank you, finally!! I've been waiting for someone on Imamother to say that already for AGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

me too. I just find it funny. but glad someone finally had the guts to stand up and say it!

ChavieK

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 1:10 pm
I guess I missed this thread. But I have one more correction. In the US it is DOWN syndrome. There are places where it is Downs, I think in England. and thank you fish123

amother

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 7:20 pm
ChavieK wrote:
I guess I missed this thread. But I have one more correction. In the US it is DOWN syndrome. There are places where it is Downs, I think in England. and thank you fish123

downs is just short for down syndrome but the point is it's the condition that is the syndrome not the child.

I once had this discussion with a former member and she acted like I was on the attack for making the point when I wasn't on the attack at all, my intention was just to educate

ChavieK

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 9:42 pm
Since when is Downs short for Down? Down has 4 letters & Downs has 5. If one is in a place where it is called Downs syndrome , they may say Downs. If you are in the US where we call it Down syndrome, it is called Down not Downs. My son Has Down syndrome. He does not have Downs nor is he a Down syndrome kid/child.

YALT

Post Fri, May 01 2009, 6:53 am
OK. now I see the post I was referring to.

ChavieK,

First of all, this board consists of many women from around the world. It is not davka meant "just for US women". In fact, the creator of this amazing site, doesn't even live in the US!
Second, many people live in USA, who originate from abroad. They don't change their language overnight. Am I not allowed to tell my son to bring me a nappy because that word isn't the way it's said here in USA?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics