Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How would I know if dd is down syndrome?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 7:55 pm
I know it's a bit stupid, but I've had this fear in the beginning of this pregnancy that child may be Downs. I know too many ppl. younger than me whom have recently had such special children. But I am afraid I wouldn't be able to handle such a child, and afraid that Hashem will think I can.
Now, DD is born, and the more I look at her, I can't help thinking that she looks a bit like Downs. I don't know if it's just bec. the eyes are the shape that's "in the family" or what.
Is it possible for them not to discover this when baby is born, and if so, how would I be able to tell?

I didn't know which section to put this in, since I don't have access to the "Children with Special Needs" forum, and I requested permission and have not (yet?) been granted.
So I hope someone who knows well about this can help me.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 7:59 pm
There are markers that are seen in scans during pregnancy. If not then, almost all are spotted immediately after the birth. The features are usually very easy to recognize. I know of one person whose child was diagnosed at two weeks, but this is very, very rare. Your child probably just has eyes of a certain shape. Ask your ped, I'm sure he/she will confirm.

You're not stupid, you're just a new mom. We all get obsessively worried about certain issues.

MahPitom

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 8:11 pm
if the doctor thinks he should, he will order an amnio.

sleepyhead

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 8:16 pm
I know someone who had a baby that I thought had Down's when I saw her, at a few months of age. She seriously had the "look". But bh it was just that - the look and nothing more. She is now over a year old and does not have that look anymore.

I hope everything works out b'hatzlacha.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 8:18 pm
MahPitom wrote:
if the doctor thinks he should, he will order an amnio.
There's no amnio. The baby has been born.

happyone

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 8:21 pm
If you respond to the PM all people trying to get access received, you will be able to get approved.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 8:45 pm
newborn babies eyes can be puffy from labor and make them "look" downs sometimes. if you are concerned ask your doc.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 9:11 pm
one of the markers of down's is having only one crease on the hand instead of two. You can check that easily.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 9:19 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
one of the markers of down's is having only one crease on the hand instead of two. You can check that easily.

ummm I have 3!

I think what you mean is having a crease that goes straight across.
A friend of mine, her father has that crease and they thought he had ds when he was born.

OP if the doctors suspected it they would do a blood test to confirm.
However I think its unlikely that if your baby had it that it would go un-noticed.

anyway, you would notice other things as well like floppiness and a cry that's not your usual newborn cry. If I remember correctly from my relative, it was sort of a weak short cry.

I don't think you will get approved to the forum because you think your baby looks like she has downsyndrome.

tovasmom

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 1:11 am
Most doctors will spot the "soft features" of downs syndorme right away. If your pediatrician has not mentioned it to you, chances are there is nothing to worry about. Genetic testic called a Karotype (sp?) is conclusive. Also, low town, difficulty sucking, congenital heart defect are all signs, besides the 1 crease across the hand and the oriental looking eyes -- which are not necessarily evident in downs babies -- most downs babies are actually small featured and gorgeous. Oh, and squashed top folded ears, too. Don't torture yourself.. talk to your doctor if you are worried.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 4:36 am
Quote:
If you respond to the PM all people trying to get access received, you will be able to get approved.

I never got a PM! I just double checked all my messages.
And yes, I did "request", bec. when I go to usergroups, it does show as pending.

I'm not saying that I plan to treat DD as if she's Downs. I jus tdidn't expect to get the answers I need posting it somewhere else.

it looks like she does have only one crease straight across the hand. But I don't know if maybre its just because her hand is always closed in a fist position.

greentiger

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 4:47 am
When my niece was born I remember being sure she was downs. I was wondering when my sister would find out, since it didn't seem like she "knew". She never did "find out" becuase this baby wasn't downs.

I spoke about this with another sister, and she told me that when our mother gave birth a few years back, she was also sure the baby looked downs. She said she kept waiting for a phone call from the hospital that they forgot to tell us.

Someone pointed out that newborns can be puffy, and maybe becuase you are so scared, and you're looking for it, then you notice it.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 21 2008, 7:02 am
op here.
this week, by DD's well visit, the dr was listening thru stethescope, and I noticed he waslistening in 1 place longer than usual. I asked what was wrong, and he said he hears murmur quite strong. (Sorry, I forgot to mention that in the hospital, the dr sent her for an echo, bec they heard a bit of a murmur. But then they decided itwa nomal for a baby) But the dr keeps it in mind, and listens to her each time just to "be extra careful".
So, he desided this time, he wants to do EKG and see what his cardiologist has to say.
That's when I finally had the guts to tell him of this fear I've been having.
He started telling me the best way to prove that she isn't is by the creases in the hand. But he stopped mid-sentence, as he noticed that she does have it. He was surprised. He said she didn't have the other symptoms. So he didn't know why this. But when I said maybe that's why she has a murmur, he said, the reason for a murmur in a Downs' baby, is bec. of misshapen heart. And hear, we know her heart is a normal shape.

So he took a blood test, just in case, bec. he was just as confused....
Waiting for the result.....

amother

Post Fri, Mar 21 2008, 7:28 am
OP,
The only way to know FOR SURE if a baby is Down Syndrome or not is not by a blood test. It's by a skin test and that is quite painful. The blood test is not as reliable (according to Dr. Lawrence Leichtman, one of the most expert doctors on Down).

Is your baby hypotonic? Meaning - does she have low muscle tone?
FYI the simian crease across the hand is proof of nothing. There are all kinds of different symptoms that make up DS (one of which is muscle tone and one of which is the simian crease). The only way to know for sure is to do a skin test or at the very least a blood test.

Not to alarm you, but there are cases where DS is diagnosed way after birth. The thing is that in your case you are just going according to the slanty eyes and that really means nothing.

There are people out there that look DS and aren't and there are people that ARE DS and don't look it. In my daughter's class there is a girl whose mother looks so Downs it's not funny, and she is quite normal.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 21 2008, 7:33 am
Another symptom of DS is that the child cries without tears (past infant too of course). Though my brother is an adult and has never cried with tears, but that is his only symptom and he doesnt have DS.

YALT

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 7:20 pm
Just an update on this, and bumping it up for the new mother with fears.

I'm the OP.

The EKG came back all clear. The doctor spoke to his cardiologist, who verified that she definitely does not have DS.
Probably about 2 months later, he sent me to a top cardiologist, (whom my friend happens to use for her DS child) to double check. They did Echo & EKG & dr said he would be shocked if he ever saw this girl in his office again.

Now DD is 14½ months ka"h and you would never believe that we even had such fears.
I have a few friends with DS children in the family, and when I tell them the story, they look at their hand, & they are shocked.

downsyndrome

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 7:36 pm
Mazel Tov Yalt upon the sigh of relief that you are breathing. May Hashem bentsch you and all your kinderlach. Nachas always.

YALT

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 7:43 pm
thanks Downsyndrome. Yes, it was a big relief to know that she as just a reg. kid, with my eyes, and an pediatric intern who was a hotshot, and the only thing unique about her is that Hashem gave her the crease to laugh at me (as my friend put it)
Baruch Hashem.
And I think I learned my lesson not to get so worried.
But I still davven that Hashem shouldn't laugh at me by doing something funny the next time around. I just don't think I would be able to handle it.

fish123

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 9:04 pm
I know this isn't the point of the post but people don't have babies that [I]are[/I] Downs, a person can't have a child that is or isn't Downs. Sometimes people have children [I]with[/I] Downs Syndrome or that [/I]have[I] Downs.

I guess its my OT training that makes me sensitive to using "person first" language, but I think we should all try to consider it when we talk about anyone with any type of developmental diagnosis or any type of medical condition. There is more to that person than just the condition they have, it doesn't define them.

I'll step off my soap box now Smile

YALT

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 9:29 pm
actually, thank you.
As I was typing, I was wondering what were the correct terms.

And if I caused anyone to feel hurtful in any way, I am really sorry.

It so happens that I have quite a few friends who have siblings or children with Downs. And I love those kids, and see how special they are, and all. In a way I would feel honored to have a child with Downs, as only special people are given such a task by Hashem. But I just don't feel I'm on that level.

But if you can please fix the italics in your post to bold or something that works so that it's easier to read. Thanks..
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics