Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Excellent Hamentashen dough
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 9  10  11  Next

cookielady

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 11:52 am
Fabulous wrote:
cookie, can I make this recipe with a hand mixer? Cuz that's all I have.

Sure, you may have to finish the last bit of dough by hand, depending on the strength of your mixer. I used a hand mixer for many years making these hamentashen and don't remember having a problem.

boruchhashem

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 12:01 pm
Here is what happened. I got distracted whilst making this dough. I had to sift flour for it, so I went ahead and sifted the whole 5 lbs. to be used later. So I go ahead and add the WHOLE 5 LBS. to the recipe. Twisted Evil I had to triple the recipe and now its not so soft. Should I add some more liquid? Help

Fabulous

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 12:02 pm
cookielady wrote:
Fabulous wrote:
cookie, can I make this recipe with a hand mixer? Cuz that's all I have.

Sure, you may have to finish the last bit of dough by hand, depending on the strength of your mixer. I used a hand mixer for many years making these hamentashen and don't remember having a problem.

Thanks.

elf123

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 12:35 pm
Okay, I hate to be a party pooper here, but....mine flopped. At least aesthetically. They taste good but came apart at the seams, literally. So I'm thinking the problem could be one of several things:
a) I put in too much filling?
b) I didn't roll the dough thin enough so it couldn't hold itself together?
c) Not enough flour, although I don't think that's it b/c the dough was a good consistency.
I have obviously made hamantashen before, and I don't remember ever having them ALL come apart like this, so I'm really wondering what went wrong. Anyone?
(Hurry b/c right now everyone's eating the unattractive looking hamantashen, b/c "we're not going to GIVE them to anyone....")

Last edited by elf123 on Sun, Mar 01 2009, 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

cookielady

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 12:37 pm
elf123 wrote:
Okay, I hate to be a party pooper here, but....mine flopped. At least aesthetically. They taste good but came apart at the seams, literally. So I'm thinking the problem could be one of several things:
a) I put in too much filling?
b) I didn't roll the dough thin enough so it couldn't hold itself together?
c) Not enough flour, although I don't think that's it b/c the dough was a good consistency.
I have obviously made hamantashen before, and I don't remember ever having them ALL come apart like this, so I'm really wondering what went wrong. Anyone?
(Hurry b/c right now everyone's eating the unattractive looking hamantashen, b/c "we're not going to GIVE them to anyone....)

A few people have had this complaint. Not sure why. I am careful not to get filling on part that has to stick. Also too much filling will make it open up. I also do roll them relatively thinly. Glad your family is having a good snack.

momomany

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 1:55 pm
I bake at least once a week, yet I have never been successful with hamantashen. cookielady's recipe worked perfectly for me!!!!!!! wow! they rolled beautifully (I didn't even need to sandwich the dough in parchment which is what I usually do for rollout cookies), they held together, the kids found it easy to work with (the part that they didn't eat first). I used a SCANT tsp of plain rasperry jam or 10 choco chips. I cut them out with a cup that has an approx 3" diameter. I will definitely make these again. I will buy the bakers choice special hamantashen fillings next time. That's what the kidlets ordered.

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 2:05 pm
We are expecting a foot of snow tomorrow, and I intend to stay home and bake these. Since I don't have any Duncan Hines, I will use my usual brownie recipe, and see how it works. My kids are excited!

bandcm

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 4:56 pm
I made two hundred of these hamantashen so far, and every batch came out wonderful! Another 300 to go...
Thank you so much for this recipe.
About the hamantashen opening, you have to make sure to really stick the seams properly, and the less filling the better.

pinkbubbles

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 11:13 am
Here are photos of my hamentashen using this recipe!

As you can see I'm a professional (professional messy hamentashen maker that is :p). Well it was my first time making any, aside for helping my mother make them when I was little. Next year will be better I hope Mr. Green

Also, I noticed that keeping the shape without any filling spilling out consisted of a few things:
-rolling dough too thick or thin
-adding too much filling
-getting filling on the part you pinch

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Anyways..
They taste really good! I like the texture too.

Bambamama

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 11:36 am
I'm another satisfied customer... thank you CookieLady! I made 2 batches so far... DH loved them, the kids loved them... now I'm off to make more...

The first time I made them I also had a problem with them splitting open... I think it may have been because I didn't roll the dough thin enough, because when I made them thinner next time they stayed together and looked great.

pinkbubbles

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 11:53 am
oh and I used orange instead of apple juice. I also couldn't find almond extract so I left it out. Still good!

mommalah

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 4:46 pm
I don't know if this has already been asked but how many hamantashen does this recipe yield?

agh

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 5:36 pm
thanks for the yummy recipe- it was a great snow day activity for the kids. I made about 4 dozen (3 of which r gone already- mostly by me!!)

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 5:41 pm
Do these come out like soft hamantashen, or crunchy ones?

I'm looking for a crumbly-cookie like hamantash recipe...

miri123

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 6:01 pm
agh wrote:
thanks for the yummy recipe- it was a great snow day activity for the kids. I made about 4 dozen (3 of which r gone already- mostly by me!!)

Hey you were not alone, it was for my kidos and my neighbors' kids too.
I looked up hamentashen this morning in Imamother, this came up decided to try it.
They are delicious, but I must admit that I changed a few things:
Made them with whole wheat pastry flour (none white)
Omit almond extract
Added lemon zest of 1 lemon ( kids had fun grating it and I didn't have to do the job Wink
Didn't have enough vanilla, but the lemon made it good anyways
Didn't have any juice, used plain water and added one extra Tbsp of sugar.
I used my homemade non sugar added strawberry-rubbard jelly (I used CM posted homemade jelly recipe) and Liebers all fruit apricot jelly (with added corn starch, and cooked to make more solid)
I think I will call them Imamother (cookielady-CM) hamentashen.
They are not dark at all because of the Pastry flour.
Now that I tried them I have to make many batches for the shalach manos....
Thank you cookielady and Chocolate Mouse.

AGINY

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 11:49 am
miri123 wrote:
agh wrote:

Hey you were not alone, it was for my kidos and my neighbors' kids too.
I looked up hamentashen this morning in Imamother, this came up decided to try it.
They are delicious, but I must admit that I changed a few things:
Made them with whole wheat pastry flour (none white)
Omit almond extract
Added lemon zest of 1 lemon ( kids had fun grating it and I didn't have to do the job Wink
Didn't have enough vanilla, but the lemon made it good anyways
Didn't have any juice, used plain water and added one extra Tbsp of sugar.
I used my homemade non sugar added strawberry-rubbard jelly (I used CM posted homemade jelly recipe) and Liebers all fruit apricot jelly (with added corn starch, and cooked to make more solid)
I think I will call them Imamother (cookielady-CM) hamentashen.
They are not dark at all because of the Pastry flour.
Now that I tried them I have to make many batches for the shalach manos....
Thank you cookielady and Chocolate Mouse.

Does making them with water instead of juice make them hamotzi?

miri123

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 2:09 pm
No it is only 1/3 c water, it would have to have more water than eggs, oil and sugar combined.

AGINY

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 7:40 pm
Thanks Miri, that is interesting. I never knew when it is mezonos and when it is hamotzi!

Tamiri

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 10:54 pm
Batch #1 made with apple juice and lemon zest with strawberry jam filling,is gone.
Batches #2 and #3 were made with orange juice and lemon zest and in my opinion taste richer. The fillings were raspberry jam, apricot jam, and plain pb with choc chips. The raspberry jam ran a bit but really, with this incredible recipe, 90% look good enough to give. I've never had that before. My kids can't stop eating them.
With all the batches I had to bake at 375F.

mini

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 10:05 am
is it ok to use vanilla sugar instead of vanilla extract
thanks for sharing a simchas purim
Page 4 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  4  5 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus