Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Meaning of the name Ita?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:25 am
the hard thing when there is no "set" equivalent is that you don't know what name YOUR Ita was supposed to be an equivalent of. I personnaly would use Ita, even as a second or third name, to be sure, especially since it's not out there.

After further reasearching, Ita could also be from Yetta, a Yiddish pet form of Henrietta.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:26 am
different amother here.
It does sort of seem that when one posts well over 20,000 posts in under 2 yrs, about double anyone else, and around at least 5 times other ppl, that the posts might tend to lack content if you know what I mean. And it cant be such a far-fetched thought if more than 1 or 2 ppl have commented on about it, and moderators have put restrictions on...

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:28 am
chocolate moose wrote:
amother wrote:
its just really frustrating when I post to get information and you respond, more than once, in an unhelpful way.

You don't think much of me, do you?

Different amother here. CM it is your MO

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:28 am
Clarissa wrote:
I always thought ETA meant estimated time of arrival, unless you meant something else. FWIW means for what it's worth.

ETA- editted to add

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:29 am
I have a friend Itta and a sil Itta who calls herself Itty - I like the nickname, but I'm sorry I don't know the meaning. But I'll try and ask.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:30 am
My dd is named Itta. When we checked to find out what it meant, we also got the answer that it was from Yehudit.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:31 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Clarissa wrote:
I always thought ETA meant estimated time of arrival, unless you meant something else. FWIW means for what it's worth.

ETA- editted to add

Oops! I forgot that, and I actually use it pretty often, as I'm fond of editing.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:41 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Clarissa wrote:

ETA- editted to add

Thanks! This thread has been helpful in more ways than one Smile

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:44 am
amother wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
amother wrote:
its just really frustrating when I post to get information and you respond, more than once, in an unhelpful way.

You don't think much of me, do you?

Different amother here. CM it is your MO

Whats MO?

And Chocolate Moose, I told you how I felt about you posting in response to my inquiry. I didn't say anything about how I felt about you as a person. I'm sure you would find yourself frustrated if you were eager to find something out and someone repeatedly responded in a way that was unhelpful and discouraging.

sunnybrook

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:45 am
Latest report from my genealogical expert friend, who looked it up in one of her books: yes, Ita or Itta is a corruption of Ida or Idis which came from Yehudis.
But--in Celtic it means "thirsty"
And Yehudis is about praise and thanksgiving.

shanie5

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:56 am
okay, how about necha? my grandmother was necha, but we couldnt find a meaning for the name. some said it was short for nechama, but we couldnt use that cuz I had a sis that was niftar at 3 days old, and that was her name (given afterwards).
[in the end, we changed the syllables around from NE- CHA to CHA-NA. ]

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:58 am
So this sefer I have is called Kitzur Nachalas Shivah, written by R' Asher Anshil Greenwald, and he researches all Jewish names with the proper spelling, for the purpose of our generation not being confused by names and their spellings. He goes through all the halachos of a Kesuba, and more, to show why names need to be preserved and spelled correctly.

When it comes to Ita, all he says is that there are those who pronounce it Yutta which can also be Yutla and Yutel.

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:59 am
shanie, in my book it says Necha, Nechil, Nechla, and Nishka are all nicknames for Nechama.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 12:50 pm
OP here

Thank you everyone for all of your help. It seems the mystery has been solved Smile

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 2:01 pm
amother wrote:
some repeatedly responded in a way that was unhelpful and discouraging.

That's what YOU think.

And if the name meant something yunchy and I had saved your as yet unborn daughtr from an undesireable fate of a lifetime of teasing, you'd be blessing my dirty socks.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 2:10 pm
I dislike the nick name itty.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 2:14 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
amother wrote:
some repeatedly responded in a way that was unhelpful and discouraging.

That's what YOU think.

And if the name meant something yunchy and I had saved your as yet unborn daughtr from an undesireable fate of a lifetime of teasing, you'd be blessing my dirty socks.

Umm... what?!?! Yes, it is what I think. I started this thread asking for help, and you have been responding in an unhelpful way. So I'm telling you what I think. Its interesting that you keep quoting the same point I've made, yet you overlook the part where I thank you for your efforts and said that it must have been the way I perceived your comments, but that you surely intended to be helpful. On second thought, however, I'm not so sure you have the greatest intentions when replying. How are you doing me a favor and saving my unborn daughter from a lifetime of teasing? I inquired as to the root or translation of a name, you didn't have any translations to offer. I wouldn't name a child without understanding the name and speaking to rabbonim and making sure that was the right name to select. I came here first to get some ideas. Again, thanks for trying to help, but why do you have to keep making this thread, and many others about you? Why can't you just let people post inquiries and let only those who have what to say thats constructive respond? I'm sure you've helped many people in many cases, but is it necessary to respond to some posts saying that you don't know (which I'm almost sure I've seen you write on a few occasions)? If you don't know, why respond? Many people don't know the answers to questions people pose, those people don't respond. It seems that you may be distracting people, or me atleast, from the real topic of the post. I'm not saying anything negative about you, Chocolate Moose. I'm sure you're well intentioned, and as I mentioned before you've surely been helpful to others in many cases, but I'm telling you that in this particular case I would appreciate not having your negativity. Those who had what to say on the matter that was productive have already said it.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 4:10 pm
amother wrote:
I wouldn't name a child without understanding the name and speaking to rabbonim and making sure that was the right name to select. .

Being that you're anonymous, how should I Know that ?

I think the name is awful, personally. I learned that it doesn't really mean anything.

There are much nicer, more meaningful names to choose, frm chumash, novi, our rebbeim ......

Lani22

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 4:11 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
amother wrote:
I wouldn't name a child without understanding the name and speaking to rabbonim and making sure that was the right name to select. .

Being that you're anonymous, how should I Know that ?

I think the name is awful, personally. I learned that it doesn't really mean anything.

There are much nicer, more meaningful names to choose, frm chumash, novi, our rebbeim ......

Maybe she is naming after a loved one... anyways I think the name is lovely and it is actually one of my favorites...

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 4:22 pm
Thanks Lani22. The name is after a loved one, but I was advised by a prominent Rav to look into the Hebrew equivalent for various reasons. Chocolate Moose, I didn't ask your opinion of the name. I asked the general Imamother public if they had any idea what the name meant. Please don't throw in your two cents when in this particular scenario, its very rude and hurtful. I know that I posted and keep posting on this thread because I had a serious inquiry. What is motivating you to keep responding and be so condescending? Is what you're writing helping anyone? Does it serve anyone other than you? Is what you're doing l'shem shamayim, or is it l'shem Chocolate Moose's ego? Please stop with your harsh remarks. They're unsolicited, unappreciated, and uncalled for. Is it just me who feels this way? Am I completely crazy here for thinking this? Or does anyone else see how ridiculous this is becoming?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names