Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Twisted testicle
Previous  1  2

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 1:33 am
Maybe you should call the answering service to check if it’s an emergency?

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 3:46 am
I did. They told me to bring him in any time tomorrow. Dr didn’t think it was an emergency. I just wanted to hear from boy moms that went through with it with their boys

amother
Lightblue

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 7:35 am
amother Blueberry wrote:
Is there always excruciating pain with a torsion?
No, it's not necessarily excruciating pain. I suspect it's not torsion if he had a minor injury, but please take your son to a urologist or ER immediately to make sure. Torsion is considered a medical emergency and can only be surgically repaired within a few hours of torsion. Urgent care sent my son to the ER because they need ultrasound to determine if it's torsing or not. (FYI I'm not the alarmist type and I also never heard of this before this issue came up).

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 7:35 am
amother Blueberry wrote:
I did. They told me to bring him in any time tomorrow. Dr didn’t think it was an emergency. I just wanted to hear from boy moms that went through with it with their boys
My son was complaining of pain in his testicles one day last summer. I took him to the pediatrician fearing torsion. 2 drs checked him out, they didn't see or feel anything. His cremasteric reflex was intact. They said probably a bruise.

3 days later I noticed swelling. We were on vacation, I took him to the ER. He was diagnosed with epidydymitis based on ultrasound. Gave him 5 days of Bactrim. Took 3-4 days for the swelling to start going down but by day 5 it was back to normal and the pain was gone.

amother
Lightblue

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 7:53 am
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
My son was complaining of pain in his testicles one day last summer. I took him to the pediatrician fearing torsion. 2 drs checked him out, they didn't see or feel anything. His cremasteric reflex was intact. They said probably a bruise.

3 days later I noticed swelling. We were on vacation, I took him to the ER. He was diagnosed with epidydymitis based on ultrasound. Gave him 5 days of Bactrim. Took 3-4 days for the swelling to start going down but by day 5 it was back to normal and the pain was gone.
Yes, epididymitis is definitely a possibility, but OP needs to get an ultrasound asap to make sure.

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:32 pm

The dr examined him , didn’t feel anything and wasn’t concerned because he did injure himself. But your post concerns me….
Was your son in a lot of pain? My son mentions it and moves on doesn’t seem to be in a lot of pain

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:49 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
The dr examined him , didn’t feel anything and wasn’t concerned because he did injure himself. But your post concerns me….
Was your son in a lot of pain? My son mentions it and moves on doesn’t seem to be in a lot of pain
He was in quite a bit of pain, but not excruciating. He limped but was able to get around and otherwise felt ok. When we were in the ER they said he looks a bit too good for it to be a torsion. I don't know if there's anything for you to do at this point because if there's no swelling who knows if they can even see anything on an ultrasound but do keep an eye on it.

amother
Lightblue

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:56 pm
He was in quite a bit of pain, but not excruciating. He limped but was able to get around and otherwise felt ok. When we were in the ER they said he looks a bit too good for it to be a torsion. I don't know if there's anything for you to do at this point because if there's no swelling who knows if they can even see anything on an ultrasound but do keep an eye on it.
The ultrasound is to see whether blood flow is being restricted or not. No external swelling does not tell you anything.
Blueberry, if you are confident that your doctor is not usually the overly lax type, I'd say you are probably fine and sigh a breath of relief, Baruch Hashem. Torsion is a serious but rare occurrence, and since your son had an injury, it's probably just irritation from that. By the way, did the doctor test his reflexes? He may not have explained it to you, but there are reflexes that can be done to see if the testicle is responding normally. Still doesn't rule out torsion 100%, but it's a good indicator.
Also FYI, blueberry, epididymitis is not considered a serious condition and is sometimes treated with antibiotics or not treated at all. And it can come as a result of viral infections or uti, too.

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:58 pm
He did explain the reflexes to me and he did examine by feeling him for about a minute and said it looks ok
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children