Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Eggplant parmesan
1  2  Next

proudmom

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 3:35 pm
does anyone know of a good and easy recipe?

debz123

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 4:59 pm
you have to fry each eggplant to make eggplant parmesan so I wouldn't really call it easy no matter the recipe.

here's what I do:

preheat oven to 375

slice the egglplant into 1/4" slices and place them on paper towel. sprinkle with salt and let sit for 10 min (to drain liquid)

pat dry after 10 min, dip each one into egg and bread crumbs, then fry.

spread marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 pan then line it with 6 eggplant slices. top the eggplant with another layer of sauce and then cheese. repeat those steps with another 6 slices of eggplant.

cover and put in over for about 45 min. (can uncover for last 5 min to melt cheese)

good luck!

if you have the time and patience its definitly worth the effort!

proudmom

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 5:01 pm
thank you very much!! I will try it tomorrow for supper and I will let you know how it came out

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 5:25 pm
I do the same as above, except I dredge the eggplant in flour before I dip it in egg.

debz123

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 5:26 pm
oh, by the way, besides for shredded cheese, you can also sprinkle parmesan cheese - I guess that's why it's called eggplant parmesan! (I don't think it makes too big of a difference if you don't though, ive done it both ways)

debz123

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 5:29 pm
nicole - I did that the first time I made it but then I lost patience!! it just adds another step to an already long process. . . I can't remember what it was like when I did use the flour but it still comes out great without! Smile

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 5:38 pm
for the cheese I actually use a bad of miller's shredded pizza cheese. it has mozarella and pamegiana cheese and maybe even one other kind.

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 5:39 pm
btw debz- a really easy way to do the flour is to stick the eggplant slices into a paper bag, add flour, close up, and shake. it takes 5 seconds. as you can see, I'm also lazy!

lucky

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 9:07 pm
I bake the eggplant slices instead of frying. I also use corn flakes crumbs for the coating.

I use a foil cookie sheet. (I like to line it with parchment paper)spray with oil. put slices of eggplant(can be put close together they don't stick to each other.)Spray top. Bake at 375 till golden. Sometimes it is neccessary to flip them halfway through.

debz123

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 11:05 pm
lucky - sounds interesting. less work (no frying individual slices) and healthier. I think I'll try it.

nicole - I didn't say I was lazy (although I might be)! just no patience Wink

lucy

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 11:48 pm
I don't know if you could consider this eggplant parmesan (after reading everyone elses posts) embarrassed
I half peel or completely peel the egplant, then slice it either lengthwise or in rounds then sprinkle a little salt pat dry after a few minutes. Basically in a pan layer eggplant slices, tomatoe sauce, spices, ricotta cheese or you can use cottage cheese, tomatoe sauce (either in the tomatoe sauce or cheese layer I dice very tiny pieces of tofu for added protien). Then repeat. On top I put tomatoe sauce with shredded hard cheese ontop. Bake at 350 for about 20 min.

Tovah

Post Tue, Aug 09 2005, 1:18 pm
the spice and spirit has an easy one.

lucky

Post Tue, Aug 09 2005, 3:26 pm
Salting the eggplant is supposed to pull out the bitterness.

proudmom

Post Tue, Aug 09 2005, 7:06 pm
I made the eggplant tonight for supper and it came out so good. thank you all for all your help.

motheroftwo

Post Tue, Aug 09 2005, 9:58 pm
I also made it tonite. My husband loved it! It was really delicious. Thanks everyone.

supermom

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 5:11 am
I know this is late okay very late. But what I do is I fry, grate the cheese, and make the sauce the night before. The next day I just put it together and have a meal in 1/2 hour.

brooklyn

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 7:44 am
lucky wrote:
Salting the eggplant is supposed to pull out the bitterness.

If you don't want the extra salt, soak the sliced eggplant in a bowl of hot water for half an hour, this will also take out the bitterness. (This was told to me by my old Italian neighbor, She also says to coat with flour before dipping in the egg.)

ny21

Post Mon, Nov 10 2008, 6:33 pm
thanks for the recipe,

flowerpower

Post Mon, Nov 10 2008, 6:35 pm
I use tomatoe sauce with spices instead of marinara sauce.

ltlesmartmom

Post Mon, Nov 10 2008, 7:02 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I use tomatoe sauce with spices instead of marinara sauce.

SAME HERE A LIL SUGAR TOO
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals