Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Advice needed please respond

amother

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 2:07 pm
we are renting a house had a verbal agreement to rent it for 6 months (sept-feb).
we are new to the city we are living in we found a house to buy and our offer was excepted. we put in a real low one.

now is giving the landlord two months notice enough?

we will have completed four months by the time we move out.
also if we pay the last months rent the 4th month (December) he is the type not to give us back our deposit of 1150 b/c we aren't staying the full 6 months. (we have no lease there wan supposed to be one but he never gave us the corrected version)
so I want to not pay dec rent and let him use the deposit towards that month. what do you think

nicole81

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 2:20 pm
talk to him. the sooner the better, so he'll have more of a chance of finding someone to move in.

I've had to break my lease early but we spoke to the landlords and since we gave them enough notice they were very understanding. they were able to find another tenant so they didn't lose any money.

in the end if he's still giving you a hard time, there's no lease so there's nothing he can do. but it would be nice to let him know what's going on asap.

greenfire

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 2:33 pm
it depends if you wanna go the legal way ... or the not legal way ... and breaking an agreement definately constitutes the landlord keeping the security deposit ... if he chooses to return the depost can be done as much as 30 days after you vacate the premises ... barring also that the apartment is in the same condition as you found it in...

amother

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 2:45 pm
op here we let him know already we gave two months notice.

we have no lease
just verbal agrreement

momluv

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 2:50 pm
we had a written agreement with our management in the first place I lived in, and even though we found a replacement they still kept our deposit money which I think is unfair. I think what you're considering doing is fine.

rosehill

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 3:03 pm
You know, if he would have thrown you out two months before the six months was up, even with plenty of notice, you would have (rightly) accused him of not keeping his word. If you made an agreement, you need to keep it.
Unless you can find someone to move into the apartment and take over the rent payments, I think you owe him the money.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 3:13 pm
Why are people talking about whether it's legal or not, or whether he can do anything or not?

What happened to
Quote:

מוצא שפתיך תשמור
You should keep what your lips say
??

Don't you think you should keep your word? If it's someone Jewish it will be gezel, and if it isn't it will be a chilul Hashem.

I would speak to the landlord and say you are interested in moving out, and would be happy if he found someone else earlier (offer to pay if it's going to involve extra expense for him) but of course you will pay till the end of February if he doesn't find someone else.

greenfire

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 3:49 pm
a verbal agreement is just as binding ... and yes most definately a chillul Hashem and ganaiva to do such a thing ... shock

Tamiri

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 4:12 pm
If you want to be sure where you stand with the law ask a L A W Y E R
If you want to know where you stand halachically, ask a R A B B I

Atali

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 6:43 pm
I am in the same situation, but the accepted policy where I live (Australia) is that if you break a lease, you have to pay to the end of your lease unless a replacement is found. I have already found a replacement for my landlord to move in as soon as I leave and therefore I do not have to pay anything and will get my deposit back.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics